• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
November Obs/Banter thread

Mr Torchey

Cold snap and first snow followed by Indian Summer. Typical of winters from back in the day. You guys don't realize the winter treat that you'll see upcoming but it will stay with you for the rest of your lives. I've flipped my own switch and am now completely gung ho....possibly a top 5 out of my first 66 winters upcoming.

Atta boy Jerry, crank them tunes up,you blew us away with a Jimi Hendrix type intro whats next?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxSEDnJ-1eA

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The damage is still surreal. Have been all over... from Kevin's area to the Farmington Valley.

The area around Ellington/Rockville/Vernon is worse in NE CT.

The worst is West Hartford and Farmington north into Simsbury, Avon, and Canton. It unbelievable. Worst on the valley floors... the hills had a bit of a reprieve.

I'm sick of showering at the high school or the gym. The half live wire outside my house was de-energized yesterday but we still have 2 whole trees and snapped utility poles on my street. The worst hit areas (7 days later) look worse than some of the worst hit hill towns around ORH after the ice storm. It's incredible.

The damage is still surreal. Have been all over... from Kevin's area to the Farmington Valley.

The worst is West Hartford and Farmington north into Simsbury, Avon, and Canton. It unbelievable. Worst on the valley floors... the hills had a bit of a reprieve.

I'm sick of showering at the high school or the gym. The half live wire outside my house was de-energized yesterday but we still have 2 whole trees and snapped utility poles on my street. The worst hit areas (7 days later) look worse than some of the worst hit hill towns around ORH after the ice storm. It's incredible.

You have well water? Something happened in Avon the just went black 90% plus again

You have well water? Something happened in Avon the just went black 90% plus again

No city water but no hot water. Even the freaking gym has been running out of hot water because so many people have been showering there. Conard High School has awesome hot water and water pressure... I still can't believe 8 days after losing power I'm showering in a shelter at the HS. Unbelievable.

No city water but no hot water. Even the freaking gym has been running out of hot water because so many people have been showering there. Conard High School has awesome hot water and water pressure... I still can't believe 8 days after losing power I'm showering in a shelter at the HS. Unbelievable.

You're more than welcome to come to my house if you need to shower or wash clothes or something. Unfortunately our dryer just died but we may be getting a new ones come Monday. Saw someone on craigslist in WH giving away a free one but just have to pick it up on Monday. Probaly much better than showering in these places...that would freak me out. Germs galore.

Yeah those 3 towns crushed..but lower spots in Tolland..also crushed.You head into the western part of town twds Ellington..and it's just as bad. I just came thru there and there still all kinds of trees on wires. I did see a convoy of about 10 trucks but it looked like they were headed into Ellington.

no way they get this all done by tomorrow nite...They are shutting people off in Tolland or something ..Up to over 4,000 out now

Yeah those 3 towns crushed..but lower spots in Tolland..also crushed.You head into the western part of town twds Ellington..and it's just as bad. I just came thru there and there still all kinds of trees on wires. I did see a convoy of about 10 trucks but it looked like they were headed into Ellington.

no way they get this all done by tomorrow nite...They are shutting people off in Tolland or something ..Up to over 4,000 out now

Sometimes when they try and restore part of a circuit, a large tree limb laying on a different part of the line might cause another section to trip thus leaving other people out of power (who may have had it all along). That happens frequently, but is a rather quick fix.

Yeah I drove past your house toward Ellington/Rockville and at the bottom of the mountain it was really bad. There seems to be a second max of damage Rockville/Vernon/Ellington. Your area up on the hill too was pretty crazy.

You should see some of the neighborhoods in Avon and Simsbury that are off the beaten path. It makes parts of Rockville look like nothing. One neighborhood in Avon I was at yesterday had about 2 dozen snapped utility poles in 2 blocks. Also snapped mature pine trees which was just incredible to me. It appears that the areas just NW of Hartford that got into that better banding right around sunset had enough paste to tip things from really bad to exceptional.

Take a cold one at home, shrinkage issues aside.

If everyone demanded burying the lines It may start to happen.

I'd be fine with the temporary spike in the monthly bill if they could do it in an orderly fashion. Phase it in over 2-3 years....makes perfect sense and there has never been a better time than now to get traction on this.

I'd be fine with the temporary spike in the monthly bill if they could do it in an orderly fashion. Phase it in over 2-3 years....makes perfect sense and there has never been a better time than now to get traction on this.

1.5+ million per mile, not the end all either. High voltage line still need to be overhead, underground lines have their own set of problems. Down time for underground is higher because of time required to dig them up. There is a lot to be considered, some great reading on the interweb if you look discussing pros and cons.

1.5+ million per mile, not the end all either. High voltage line still need to be overhead, underground lines have their own set of problems. Down time for underground is higher because of time required to dig them up. There is a lot to be considered, some great reading on the interweb if you look discussing pros and cons.

CON: Kevin will no longer to claim "massive power outages likely." before a wet bomb.

Yeah I drove past your house toward Ellington/Rockville and at the bottom of the mountain it was really bad. There seems to be a second max of damage Rockville/Vernon/Ellington. Your area up on the hill too was pretty crazy.

You should see some of the neighborhoods in Avon and Simsbury that are off the beaten path. It makes parts of Rockville look like nothing. One neighborhood in Avon I was at yesterday had about 2 dozen snapped utility poles in 2 blocks. Also snapped mature pine trees which was just incredible to me. It appears that the areas just NW of Hartford that got into that better banding right around sunset had enough paste to tip things from really bad to exceptional.

Def the worst tree danaging winter type storm in our states history. You think they'll meet their midnite deadline tomorrow nite?

I say no way.

The Tolland town manager today called everyone and left a scathing 5 min message about CLP and the continued dangers. I mean he ripped them a new one. he talked so long my machine ran out

Of course Ginx, this has been debated for years and years. I don't see a downside though, all P's and C's aside. First place they need to do it is though is down here, where the most negative economic impacts due to power loss on CT are.

We'll see, looks like the Feds are going to be looking into this now....

Def the worst tree danaging winter type storm in our states history. You think they'll meet their midnite deadline tomorrow nite?

I say no way.

The Tolland town manager today called everyone and left a scathing 5 min message about CLP and the continued dangers. I mean he ripped them a new one. he talked so long my machine ran out

I don't know... from what I've heard about 73 it was pretty epic. But besides '73 and 1938 I think this is #3 in last 100 years for statewide tree damage.

Some areas are so bad in the Farmington Valley they exceeded some of the worst hit areas in the 2008 ice storm in the Berkshires and hilltowns around ORH.

Archived