• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
November Obs/Banter thread

Mr Torchey

Yeah Ellington was crushed. I drove thru there yesterday..Came down Mtn rd and into the valley there. They already cancelled school there next Monday and Tuesday.

Tolland has now lost 8 days of school..3 with the cane and all 5 days this week

I posted earlier but coworker told me of friend in Brimfield who has taken it on the chin in all 3 disasters, said he did not think he had any trees left to lose but he lost the rest. Interesting that some trees without leaves came down in your hood.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was quite a bit of damage even here at 1,000 feet. Several whole trees down..including a big oak back in my woods behind the playscape snapped off about 15 feet up..I sent you guys the pic of that white pine that cane down.

My next door neighbor left his car out and a huge limb fell and smashed his back windshield.

But the terrible destruction where it looked like a bomb went off was below about 600 feet. SOme of the places in town here that are lower(places that I run) were destroyed. Not a tree was left unscathed..even ones that had already shed their leaves. There's still rds in town here that are closed with trees across lines on rds.

The very worst spot I saw was in Vernon and South Windsor. I grew up in VErnon, so know it well. Most of the town is under 400 feet and the neighborhoods are ripped apart. People were trapped in homes with wires, smashed poles etc.

Basically there is vast damage all over northern CT..but yes the lower spots were hardest hit.

Was that the one that had the wires in it? That sux. That's something you'll never forget man. You always wanted a wet snow bomb...but who would have thought in October no less.

There was so much smog and pollution this week in the air. I went out running a few mornings and all you could hear was the roar of generators. I mean it sounded like an army of lawn mowers for those lucky enough to have one. I kept thinking I'd see Messenger pull up on his mower

They were/are putting so much pollution into the air..That and all the folks burning fireplaces and wood stoves..With the inversion we had..it was like we were living in LA.

Was that the one that had the wires in it? That sux. That's something you'll never forget man. You always wanted a wet snow bomb...but who would have thought in October no less.

Yeah that's the one.. They came around yesterday and finally tagged it. What they do with the trees with the wires tangled in them is put these long yellow tags on them so at least you can see where the dangerous areas are. He's a few houses up from me on the other side of the street. Several houses in the hood don't have power because the wires were ripped from the house. His is one of them that's dark..though he does have a genny

Are your girls going to be terrified the rest of the winter when you tell them it's going to snow?

They love snow almost as much as me. I've created 2 monsters. They were outside with me playing in the snow/pretending to help shovel the whole time on Sunday. It took me like 2.5 hours to move those potatoes off the driveway.

Do you remember last Saturday when it started I kept posting wet, wet, wet..lol Lord did I get my wish and then some

Wet snow is the best. We had a wet snow bomb last Jan on the 12th, but the stronger winds I think prevented it from really doing a lot of damage by keeping some of the snow off the branches. There was some tree damage, but the ne sides of trees had like 3" of paste stuck to it. Other than April Fools, the most damage I can remember was on 12/7/03..the big early Dec snow. We had a 34-35F paste job with 60 mph winds that leveled many trees. I had no power for about 2 days when it went down into the teens. That's when my folks got a genny. I know other areas in se mass got hit pretty hard last Dec.

Wet snow is the best. We had a wet snow bomb last Jan on the 12th, but the stronger winds I think prevented it from really doing a lot of damage by keeping some of the snow off the branches. There was some tree damage, but the ne sides of trees had like 3" of paste stuck to it. Other than April Fools, the most damage I can remember was on 12/7/03..the big early Dec snow. We had a 34-35F paste job with 60 mph winds that leveled many trees. I had no power for about 2 days when it went down into the teens. That's when my folks got a genny. I know other areas in se mass got hit pretty hard last Dec.

That's why I kept asking you guys if it would stay wet or go powdery. I so wanted it to be a crippling wet snowstorm. I didn't want 12 inches of powder that MRG could brush aside by waving his hair. I must have asked you guys like 5x each..would it be wet etc. When I saw the dew go from 25 to 32 as it started snowing I started wondering if maybe I'd get my wish..and then....:snowman: :snowman: :snowman:

That's why I kept asking you guys if it would stay wet or go powdery. I so wanted it to be a crippling wet snowstorm. I didn't want 12 inches of powder that MRG could brush aside by waving his hair. I must have asked you guys like 5x each..would it be wet etc. When I saw the dew go from 25 to 32 as it started snowing I started wondering if maybe I'd get my wish..and then....:snowman: :snowman: :snowman:

It was wetter than I thought it would be for sure. I figured it would dry out a bit, but it didn't until very late and the damage was done.

If I'm gonna get dry snow, it better be like 4" an hour with no wind and perfect flakes, or whipped around by 50kt winds. Of course any snow is good...but just stating my preferences.

Kevin's long post

Thanks for the details--one for the ages..

There isn't an Oak in my yard that doesn't have a huge limb or several that broke but didn't come all the way down. There are so many just dangling way high up in the trees. It's kind of worrisome, because they are going to come down eventually as the months go along..I just pray noone is under them

You might never havve to rake again--some of those trees might be toast. break out the saws and stump grinder.

LOL Holy sh*t.

They are going to easily eclipse the 11 days from last year. Wow.

Only one day so far here...Monday.

Wouldn't it be kind of funny if after all this Tolland doesn't have a single snow day and still has to go to schcool until July?

I'm heading to my sister's birthday celebration in NYcC today--I wonder if any of the damage is visible from the roads..

28.5/22

Thanks for the details--one for the ages..

You might never havve to rake again--some of those trees might be toast. break out the saws and stump grinder.

Wouldn't it be kind of funny if after all this Tolland doesn't have a single snow day and still has to go to schcool until July?

I'm heading to my sister's birthday celebration in NYcC today--I wonder if any of the damage is visible from the roads..

28.5/22

Plenty of damage all along the highways on 84 and 91. Very visible.

The sawing will begin in about an hour

Plenty of damage all along the highways on 84 and 91. Very visible.

The sawing will begin in about an hour

Since it equi-distant to go 84 vs. Merritt, which would be more impressive from a damage standpoint? 84 is such a yucky road for much of the way. Of course, Merritt traffic sucks as well. Now that I think of it, 91's pretty gross once you get south of the MassPike. Maybe I should stay home.

Since it equi-distant to go 84 vs. Merritt, which would be more impressive from a damage standpoint? 84 is such a yucky road for much of the way. Of course, Merritt traffic sucks as well. Now that I think of it, 91's pretty gross once you get south of the MassPike. Maybe I should stay home.

I've been on 91 from WIndsor to SouthWindsor where I pick up 291..lots of damage there..84 has damage from where I've been from Tolland to Manchester

crisp and clear, endless summer lies ahead, so outside of a freak mega storm this fall is going to end up being an INFERNO, a mega torch. Even with the "WEEK OF FREAK" BOS still was +3++ for OCtober, an island of ice in an ocean of fire.............for now my friends we torch, raise your glasses............the November Nightmare begins tomorrow, a torch for the ages.

Circle of Sizzle

Hexagon of Heat

Endless Summer

Viva la Sizzle

SNESS

Please defend CLP here, don't give me they were affected worse this time please

Mass outages

Active Outages: 1,450

Affected Customers: 24,687

Last Update: Nov 5, 10:17 AM

NY outages

Active Outages: 57

Affected Customers: 78

Ct Outages

Total CL&P Customers Reported Affected:

There's more trees in CT... oh, wait

They have more customers... oh, wait

They got more heavy snow... oh, wait

must be the mets fault

Cold snap and first snow followed by Indian Summer. Typical of winters from back in the day. You guys don't realize the winter treat that you'll see upcoming but it will stay with you for the rest of your lives. I've flipped my own switch and am now completely gung ho....possibly a top 5 out of my first 66 winters upcoming.

Archived