e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you are OK. The lower elevations got half the snow but 10x the damage. The only thing that saved us was the leaves were all gone and it was more powder than anything else.

Thanks Pete. So glad we were prepared, especially with a baby at home.

Gonna' be real tough night across the northeast with temps in the teens or lower.

I will get the skis out later and hit the snowmobile trails down the street but I'm sure I'll find a lot of detours - lol.

Cool.....must have just been a critical elevation boost.

Thanks.

I went to high school in Boston and it was brutal some storms because it would be dumping on the hill and rain in the city so I'd have to get in.

Kids and teachers wouldn't believe me.

That hill up RT 2 is such a weird cutoff zone for frozen precip. Rain in Arlington Ctr and snow in Arlington Heights sometimes.

btw/ you'll get crushed this winter. ; )

As I told you, I turned into a convective junkie, but when you're pouring snowflakes under one of those bands it's pretty awesome.

When I left the office and that band was parked over KCON, and reports out of western Mass had people cracking double digits already I knew we were in trouble (i.e. busting low on the forecast).

Yeah I think by about 5-6pm..I knew out west was gonna get rocked. Hopefully we can get a couple of coastals this year. Better chance probably up by your way in this Nina with something bombing in the GOM, unless we get some blocking.

Truly amazing storm throughout New England! Here in Waterbury, CT many transformers were blown out last night and 65% of the city is without power. Many roads are impassable with downed trees and live wires. The hilly terrain of the city has made it nearly impossibe to get around especially on secondary roads. Cell phone service has also been disrupted greatly. But, the scenery of the trees and the heavy wet snow, looks truly breathtaking!

Thanks Pete. So glad we were prepared, especially with a baby at home.

Gonna' be real tough night across the northeast with temps in the teens or lower.

I will get the skis out later and hit the snowmobile trails down the street but I'm sure I'll find a lot of detours - lol.

This will be one to remember for sure. 4" Thursday night and then 27" last night, great jump on the seasonal total as it's not even Halloween. Looks like lower teens overnight tonight, hope you get power back soon. No trees down here that I've seen.

Nevermind..I saw.

Power is on/off....5 on, 2 off.... but have. Very frustrating. Not as hard hit as some, thankfully

The hills in and around here have there own micro-climate. I find this true mostly in the Spring. One storm few years back had 4" and literally bottom of hill 0.

Going to shut everything off. These power surges will kill electronics....

Hey, start the tally for for this winter in your sig! Your only a few inches from CT valley normals for the whole winter. lmaosmiley.gif

Did you sleep last night?

LOl, I'm heading out to clear more snow. I got about 4.5 hours as last night I skied here until late and then early this AM I sledded over to the Berkshire Snow Basin and did 2 circuits there. Powder DAY!!! I'll update the sig later. Nice to be 31% of the way to another 100+" season.....before Halloween!!!!

LOl, I'm heading out to clear more snow. I got about 4.5 hours as last night I skied here until late and then early this AM I sledded over to the Berkshire Snow Basin and did 2 circuits there. Powder DAY!!! I'll update the sig later. Nice to be 31% of the way to another 100+" season.....before Halloween!!!!

Have fun man...I'm jealous.

Having family over and doing homework here.

You can just go there and ski??? Even in the middle of the night with your bear skin coat??

enjoy, next gtg up your way lol.

Going to call it 24" for a total here. Tough to measure with some drifting and settling, but this seems like a good enough average. Simply incredible that most of it fell in an 8 hour period from 3 PM to 11 PM. This storm will be a classic to be remembered for years to come. It will probably take a week to melt a lot of this snow, especially if we go subfreezing at night.

Damn the sun came out and it just rained melting snow , still only 35 degrees though, incredible cold. Low 20 s tonight, feel real bad for the million plus folks without power. Just up the road has no power. I tried texting Kev again, do not know if he has cell service but the images I am seeing on Ryan's station in regards to devastation are unreal.

Archived