Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA thread

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha you guys are gettin restless. That 1950 storm was such a unique and major event. I never saw that snowmap before so that was interesting to see that some folks in central PA saw that much snow. The local details of the storm rang a bell with me because the Altoona mirror wrote an article about it just last Thanksgiving for the 60 anniversary of the event. The worst impact in the Altoona area was the ice this storm caused. I can't imagine having that anywhere near that much snow after 12 STRAIGHT HOURS of freezing rain.

Well worth the read, esp for the local folks..Talk about some extreme weather during and after the storm:

post-1507-0-36470300-1321049954.jpg

STORY

Lake Effect Snow is what I look forward to most in Southern Suburbs of Buffalo each year. Its so exciting to be under a thunder snowband procducing 3-4 inches of snow per hour. NOTHING beats it! Synoptic systems don't even come close to the intensity of some of the Lake Effect bands we get here. :thumbsup:

Yeah some places can get incredible rates, it is quite impressive. I wish the lake effect bands would extent further inland, but it takes a rare event to get them to push farther inland at least out this way. I normally get fringed from a typical event like 1-3" on average. But I have witnessed events that have performed 6-12" back this far but they don't happen very often. I hope a Met on the board can explain what it takes to get these rare events to take place.

Deer. lol thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

In the absence of an early winter pattern, all I really want out of those first couple opening days of deer season is just to not have a major rainstorm and/or ridiculously warm weather. I remember my first season out in the woods ('98) it was about 70 or so on opening day.

Unbelievable, just as I typed this there was an 8pt deer that just walked up our driveway and crossed into the woods...I swear.

post-1507-0-88832400-1321305649.jpg

post-1507-0-04764900-1321305672.jpg

Nice 8pt Mike, I bet you can't wait to hit that in a few weeks :weight_lift: .

I see that there is some tornado watches just to the west of us, I wonder how this will play out during the evening hours. That line of storms look pretty nasty.

Haha I've been already getting eager for hunting season to start. Usually don't hunt around the house until after mon/tues as we have a camp we hunt out of for the opening days. That's probably the biggest buck i've ever seen IMBY.

As for the severe, yea that area will need to be watched as any storms that manage to form will have excellent dynamics to play with. As per mesoanalysis effective helicities are 700+ in the watch area..that's insanely high.

Additionally, it seems that the GFS and Euro today have different takes in their long range Thanksgiving weekend. The 12z Euro EPS control run (which goes to h360) has a straight up coastal for Thanksgiving weekend that would make all of the CPA folks pretty happy. Did notice last nights Euro EPS control, while not having the storm.. seemed to bring colder weather in by that timeframe. We shall see, I"m not sure attm that any cold supportive of snow gets established that early but I am pretty confident we're not going to be waiting very long in December for it to show up.

In the absence of an early winter pattern, all I really want out of those first couple opening days of deer season is just to not have a major rainstorm and/or ridiculously warm weather. I remember my first season out in the woods ('98) it was about 70 or so on opening day.

Unbelievable, just as I typed this there was an 8pt deer that just walked up our driveway and crossed into the woods...I swear.

post-1507-0-88832400-1321305649.jpg

post-1507-0-04764900-1321305672.jpg

My first year it was 50 and pouring rain and I ended up shooting a button buck that was running with a group of doe. My next season the first day was 29F with blinding lake effect squalls and the following day it was -2F. The clip and bolt froze in my gun and we had it sit in the trucks for 15 mins to warm em up before we could unload to drive.

Nice buck!

Jan 5th.

yikes.png

Over 60 days till a conductive pattern presents itself? I hope not. Boo.

Nice 8pt Mike, I bet you can't wait to hit that in a few weeks :weight_lift: .

I see that there is some tornado watches just to the west of us, I wonder how this will play out during the evening hours. That line of storms look pretty nasty.

Looks like that line hit you pretty good up there, hope you got a good show.

Another beautiful day here, high of 67.5° after a low of 35.4°. Another >30° spread.

this year will be my 30th year hunting as I now am taking my 12 yr old for his first time as a junior hunter. I've seen 70 and I've seen 7 and I'll take anything but heavy rain (like last year on Tuesday. It was wierd coming home my the place in Gaines and watching water rescues being done right at the Pine Creek and the Burning Barrel in Ansonia....during what turned to heavy snow. Sounds like a potential for it to be at least seasonal tempwise from the long range reads that Im starting to hear. Nice buck Mag and let him grow a year or 2....then I'd be all over him.

Good luck all and lets hope that the +PNA/-NAO combo can start showing up on the models and that real winter weather is not far away.

Nut

Looks like that line hit you pretty good up there, hope you got a good show.

Another beautiful day here, high of 67.5° after a low of 35.4°. Another >30° spread.

Yep Jeff, that storm was a good one! Knocked out our power for about 3 hours and finally back on. The lightning was fairly impressive for this time of year. Had a wind gust of 33MPH according to my Davis, but I always question the accuracy on them. The big surprise from the storm was pea size hail with even some the size of dime! The rain has been pretty consistant and I'm almost up to a 1.00" of rain, NWS radar estimates are off it seems.

Some pretty impressive lightning and thunder to the west of me. By the looks of the radar, the line of thunderstorms is now in western Potter county. A severe thunderstom warning has been posted.

Did you recieve any hail with that line out your way? The cell that gave us the hail looked to have pushed just north of you. I can say that severe thunderstorm warning varified pretty good. Was hoping for more CG's but the lightning was more cloud to cloud.

Archived