• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA thread

enjoy your snow :thumbsup:

I enjoyed every bit of it! lol my family never understood why I just sit outside absorbing it all in for hours. I think I was outside for the majority of it lol (almost 2 hours) :snowman: , had about 2" in one hour with the band around 930PM, the rates can be incredible at times here. I have to enjoy the lake effect bands here because they don't last long.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed every bit of it! lol my family never understood why I just sit outside absorbing it all in for hours. I think I was outside for the majority of it lol (almost 2 hours) :snowman: , had about 2" in one hour with the band around 930PM, the rates can be incredible at times here. I have to enjoy the lake effect bands here because they don't last long.

im the only one in my family who loves snow...actually im the only one i know of who loves the snow to the point of talking about it on a forum (except for you us crazy freaks - :hug:)

im the only one in my family who loves snow...actually im the only one i know of who loves the snow to the point of talking about it on a forum (except for you us crazy freaks - :hug:)

At least we aren't alone. It is good to know we're not the only ones that have the snow/weather enthusiast disease :weight_lift: . Hahaha I know it is a disease when I contemplate about paying more taxes for more snow! or hell giving up a kidney to see a 93' redux :lightning: pffft and I just read the Pennsylvania Weather Book. Lord knows what I'd do for a January 7, 1836 or April 1, 1807 storm! That book is totally a tease, it should be illegal :lol:

Pretty good sign going forward:

post-1507-0-75507500-1321598808.gif

Also, keep an eye on the wave that is progged for midweek (Tues/Wed)...esp folks like potter. Thursdays 12z European had actually progged what would be a very nice snow event for folks along the PA/NY border and appeared to even offer the chance of some snow down to I-80 or so. A look at the 0z text output shows that this has changed significantly, being much warmer and all rain. Just glanced at 0z on Ewall... The storm ends up winding into a coastal though once to (actually over) southern New England, so kinda surprised there isn't more qpf thrown back once its cold enough. However, the 0z GFS has this low tracking through central VA..a pretty decent track for the southern half of the region. Precip doesn't get above I-80.Temps/thicknesses are marginal but they do end up being cold enough to snow in some portions..esp the further west in pa one goes. Lots of variablity attm, so something to keep an eye on. If we somehow did sneak any snow in the region my bet would be on the northern tier.

At least we aren't alone. It is good to know we're not the only ones that have the snow/weather enthusiast disease :weight_lift: . Hahaha I know it is a disease when I contemplate about paying more taxes for more snow! or hell giving up a kidney to see a 93' redux :lightning: pffft and I just read the Pennsylvania Weather Book. Lord knows what I'd do for a January 7, 1836 or April 1, 1807 storm! That book is totally a tease, it should be illegal :lol:

Where did you get that book?

Where did you get that book?

It's a great read if you haven't read it already! You can purchase it on amazon for about $27. The title is "Pennsylvania Weather Book" and it is by Ben Gelber, I highly recommend it. This book has been as enjoyable as my North East Snowstorm books by Paul Kocin. I believe reports go as far back as William Penn in the 1680s albeit scattered reports. This book really makes you want to travel back in time to the Little Ice Age era :snowman: I mean how crazy would it be to witness a winter like 1779-1780 where the surrounding waters around NYC and the Chesapeake Bay froze over completely!:weight_lift:

I will be posting pics in a bit. They are nothing spectacular because of the nature of lake effect snows, it didn't cling to anything and the moisture content really settled out. Compaction is a pain when it comes to lake effect events.

These pics were taking about 1030AM, kinda wish I got up earlier as the sun started doing its dirty work on the snow already. The dry nature of the snow really compacted over night, but we finished with 2.8" as measured last night (only 2" in the morning once the sun came out). Here is just some random pics, nothing to fancy. Kinda hard to get fancy pic shots when the snow isn't wet to cling to everything.

post-585-0-33538700-1321634095.jpg

post-585-0-39044500-1321634112.jpg

post-585-0-58842200-1321634367.jpg

It's a great read if you haven't read it already! You can purchase it on amazon for about $27. The title is "Pennsylvania Weather Book" and it is by Ben Gelber, I highly recommend it. This book has been as enjoyable as my North East Snowstorm books by Paul Kocin. I believe reports go as far back as William Penn in the 1680s albeit scattered reports. This book really makes you want to travel back in time to the Little Ice Age era :snowman: I mean how crazy would it be to witness a winter like 1779-1780 where the surrounding waters around NYC and the Chesapeake Bay froze over completely!:weight_lift:

I will be posting pics in a bit. They are nothing spectacular because of the nature of lake effect snows, it didn't cling to anything and the moisture content really settled out. Compaction is a pain when it comes to lake effect events.

Thank you, i'm going to search for it.

down to 2.4" in my hiding place to keep the snow from melting lol. All that snow that was on the grass is just about gone except in shaded areas or on north facing roof tops. Haha I know It is inevitable that I will lose all the snow, but it is like watching the last dirty snowpile in April, its all I got until the next storm :snowman:

post-585-0-51844100-1321644156.jpg

down to 2.4" in my hiding place to keep the snow from melting lol. All that snow that was on the grass is just about gone except in shaded areas or on north facing roof tops. Haha I know It is inevitable that I will lose all the snow, but it is like watching the last dirty snowpile in April, its all I got until the next storm :snowman:

Cool.

I noticed late this morning the dusting State College got was holding on a few shady spots on campus.

Zak, now thats not what i ask for dang it all.. Remember, we need some white for Nov. 28??

The euro does continue to get a frontal passage through on that prior Sunday, so according to that Monday (opening day) would probably be a day comparable to today. The 12z GFS today..not really sure what it was trying to accomplish in that timeframe. But GFS compeletely devoid of cold weather in all its extended period today, which was a flop from last nights run. The euro ensemble control run out to 360 does bring in a more sustained looking seasonable cold weather shot later in that week after Thanksgiving. I think the signs of the change are starting to show up, where the long range models are hit and miss with it. The GFS ensemble derived teleconnection forecasts did really change today with the NAO and AO.. with most members now staying positive instead of what had been a trend the last couple days bringing both to neutral and below. The PNA forecast flip to some positive territory still looks solid today, so while there might not be arctic air in the offing quite yet.. it likely is more favorable that we can see more in the way of seasonable chill. And it's getting to that point in the year where seasonable chill can be enough to deliver a snow event.

Lol. Potter you take snow loving to a completely different level of insanity then most snow lovers. Jeeez!!!

lol the sad thing is, it is not only snow but weather in general. All my gf's have said I'm not normal lol :sun: You think I'm bad, you never met Ji from the Mid-Atlantic then :lol: , any weather enthusiast no matter how extreme are cool with me it is a great passion. Of course weather isn't all of my life, I do have somewhat of a outside life :drunk:

lol the sad thing is, it is not only snow but weather in general. All my gf's have said I'm not normal lol :sun: You think I'm bad, you never met Ji from the Mid-Atlantic then :lol: , any weather enthusiast no matter how extreme are cool with me it is a great passion. Of course weather isn't all of my life, I do have somewhat of a outside life :drunk:

LIES!!! laugh.gif

heh, I never introduced gf's to my weather interest until well into the relationship.

We ain't normal, people don't think of an interest in weather is normal, we are the .000001% drunk.gif

But I tell ya, our weirdo hobby suddenly becomes useful when people need a weather forecast. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Finally looks like some good news in the long range.

We got down to 22.5 this am. Coldest still 21.4 here.

heh, I never introduced gf's to my weather interest until well into the relationship.

We ain't normal, people don't think of an interest in weather is normal, we are the .000001% drunk.gif

But I tell ya, our weirdo hobby suddenly becomes useful when people need a weather forecast. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I told my GF straight up that I may be up at 3 in the morning at times watching "pretty colors" on the computer screen. She thought I was crazy.. Then I introduced her to all the other Wx Nerds at the Meteorology Department at Millersville. She leaves me alone to do my "Wxnerding" now. I love her though, she even reminds me to do a forecast for WxChallenge and knows when 0z 6z 12z and 18z is! :wub:

I told my GF straight up that I may be up at 3 in the morning at times watching "pretty colors" on the computer screen. She thought I was crazy.. Then I introduced her to all the other Wx Nerds at the Meteorology Department at Millersville. She leaves me alone to do my "Wxnerding" now. I love her though, she even reminds me to do a forecast for WxChallenge and knows when 0z 6z 12z and 18z is! :wub:

lmaosmiley.gif

That sure helps - good stuff!

For the early-mid morning folks,

Rather different take comparing the 0z gfs and european tonight for the weekend and week after Thanksgiving. GFS (as well as the CMC and NOGAPs) continue to have this fascination with a big cutoff low forming at the beginning of that week. Euros had it too, but tonight it brings in a straight up frontal passage with little precip and cold weather to open up the first day or two of deer season. Cold retreats some briefly before another northern branch wave reinforces more cold. Both shots are sub 528 thickness. Developing storm lurking in the Ark-La-Tex region at 240..would wager that it'd be some kind of a cutter, buts thats getting ahead of myself. Basically, the euro is a good bit colder than the GFS and seems to emphasize the northern stream with the weekend system. The European seems more agreeable as it depicts a more typical climo pattern but its by itself tonight in the operational realm with regard to lacking the cutoff low. Interestingly enough, the 0z GFS ensemble doesn't seem to really have it either. Any rate, as someone whos gonna be in the woods next Mon-Tues, i hope the European solution wins out.

For the early-mid morning folks,

Rather different take comparing the 0z gfs and european tonight for the weekend and week after Thanksgiving. GFS (as well as the CMC and NOGAPs) continue to have this fascination with a big cutoff low forming at the beginning of that week. Euros had it too, but tonight it brings in a straight up frontal passage with little precip and cold weather to open up the first day or two of deer season. Cold retreats some briefly before another northern branch wave reinforces more cold. Both shots are sub 528 thickness. Developing storm lurking in the Ark-La-Tex region at 240..would wager that it'd be some kind of a cutter, buts thats getting ahead of myself. Basically, the euro is a good bit colder than the GFS and seems to emphasize the northern stream with the weekend system. The European seems more agreeable as it depicts a more typical climo pattern but its by itself tonight in the operational realm with regard to lacking the cutoff low. Interestingly enough, the 0z GFS ensemble doesn't seem to really have it either. Any rate, as someone whos gonna be in the woods next Mon-Tues, i hope the European solution wins out.

Hope your right MAG. I too will be at the cabin with my son and a bunch of others and hope for seasonal weather. Not expecting any big suprises as it still seems like a time of transition regarding the longer lead pattern, but a step or 2 in the right direction would be nice. Best of luck and lets hope for more continuity as the next few days of model runs come out.

Nut

Archived