Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA thread

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

torchfest + nothing to track = worst patterns ever in meteorology. We haven't had any precip for 11 days, well at least we just started to see a narrow line of light steady rain right now. I wonder if we can squeeze out a .25" of an inch out of this. Temps look to remain warm up to 180hr but this cool shot after the cold front pushes through might spawn some flurries. We need that Scandinavian HP to move out of the way. Long range looks very zonal. Hope you're right Hckyplayer, you seem more optimistic than me, I still think we see some more growing pains for the next 12 days.

Side note, I feel like we are like a weather family now, and I don't know real names on here besides Jamie. Mine is Brandon, I just figured calling each other by screen names gets a little weird after a while when we have been posting for years.

sw7kfs_th.jpghrn3fb_th.jpg

A little cheer me up to help us through this current on going torchfest. From last Thursday night. About 2200 ft elevation in Northwestern Tioga County. 3 inches. Same area received another 1.5 inches on Saturday Nov. 1.

great pics, lol they make you want winter to hurry up. Your elevation definetely helped you out just to the east of me. It's funny whata difference of 600ft will make. I had at most .3" on the ground with the first wave and a Trace with the Nor' Easter. I honestly don't think we seen a snowstorm for another 10 days yet, hopefully we can get a pattern change soon. We need that Scandinavian HP to move out of the way or get it to relocate over Greenland :thumbsup:

great pics, lol they make you want winter to hurry up. Your elevation definetely helped you out just to the east of me. It's funny whata difference of 600ft will make. I had at most .3" on the ground with the first wave and a Trace with the Nor' Easter. I honestly don't think we seen a snowstorm for another 10 days yet, hopefully we can get a pattern change soon. We need that Scandinavian HP to move out of the way or get it to relocate over Greenland :thumbsup:

At least it's only November, where having a good pattern isn't always the best thing.

Get a good pattern peaking toward the end of Dec. into Jan......... now some damage can be done.

torchfest + nothing to track = worst patterns ever in meteorology. We haven't had any precip for 11 days, well at least we just started to see a narrow line of light steady rain right now. I wonder if we can squeeze out a .25" of an inch out of this. Temps look to remain warm up to 180hr but this cool shot after the cold front pushes through might spawn some flurries. We need that Scandinavian HP to move out of the way. Long range looks very zonal. Hope you're right Hckyplayer, you seem more optimistic than me, I still think we see some more growing pains for the next 12 days.

Side note, I feel like we are like a weather family now, and I don't know real names on here besides Jamie. Mine is Brandon, I just figured calling each other by screen names gets a little weird after a while when we have been posting for years.

Yeah, nothing too exciting for awhile it appears. I don't mind having some nice weather this time of year, especially after a fall like this one....some extra time to finish yardwork and other winter prep. It looks like sometime around Thanksgiving we start at least cooling down, I rarely look for snow or cold before that anyway, it's usually a wasted effort down here.

I'm Jeff, BTW.

For anyone that wants to see Joe's Wintercast, it's up on our website:

http://wearecentralp...r/winterweather

Looks like a pretty good forecast. Wildcard as always being the NAO. So far the NAO hasn't shown much sign of returning to negative levels we've seen the last couple winter..staying relatively flat and somewhat positive at times the last couple months. Meanwhile we're in the middle of an established -PNA pattern for the time being, so the result is certainly a la nina-ish pattern for at least the next week or so. The end of the range on the teleconnection forecasts seem to show some signs of reversing a bit, so we shall see what happens toward the end of the month.

Btw, glad that whoever was assigned to State College last night is Ok after seeing footage of that van flipped over. I'm sure they have quite the story to tell.

Looks like some possible Lake Effect flurries going on, prob going to start as rain. Tough to say how far south they travel tonight. Thanks Mike, Jeff, Chris, I will have to remember the names now! Oh and we are losing Joe to Westminister?? :thumbsdown: be sure to stop in once in a while, don't be a stranger to CTP!

Looks like some possible Lake Effect flurries going on, prob going to start as rain. Tough to say how far south they travel tonight. Thanks Mike, Jeff, Chris, I will have to remember the names now! Oh and we are losing Joe to Westminister?? :thumbsdown: be sure to stop in once in a while, don't be a stranger to CTP!

I'll be around until December 31st. Still time enough for another Eskimo Express ;)

Looks like a pretty good forecast. Wildcard as always being the NAO. So far the NAO hasn't shown much sign of returning to negative levels we've seen the last couple winter..staying relatively flat and somewhat positive at times the last couple months. Meanwhile we're in the middle of an established -PNA pattern for the time being, so the result is certainly a la nina-ish pattern for at least the next week or so. The end of the range on the teleconnection forecasts seem to show some signs of reversing a bit, so we shall see what happens toward the end of the month.

Btw, glad that whoever was assigned to State College last night is Ok after seeing footage of that van flipped over. I'm sure they have quite the story to tell.

I hope something changes soon...i want some snow!

Did you get anything this am? We have a dusting right now, snow has stopped.

Did you get anything this am? We have a dusting right now, snow has stopped.

What a surprise waking up this morning! Was not expecting too see that on the ground. I had 1.6" overnight, must of been in a decent lake effect band. It was flurrying for the 7AM obs. The water content is rather low, but thats what I'd expect for lake effect events. Fluffy as can be :snowman: . Wxcoder isn't working this morning for some reason. Looking at the radar this morning, there still looks to be some good bands still ongoing, I wonder how closer to the lakes did. Noticed that some areas were under a Lake Effect Advisory.

What a surprise waking up this morning! Was not expecting too see that on the ground. I had 1.6" overnight, must of been in a decent lake effect band. It was flurrying for the 7AM obs. The water content is rather low, but thats what I'd expect for lake effect events. Fluffy as can be :snowman: . Wxcoder isn't working this morning for some reason. Looking at the radar this morning, there still looks to be some good bands still ongoing, I wonder how closer to the lakes did. Noticed that some areas were under a Lake Effect Advisory.

Nice! I really like surprise snow no matter how much it is.

That is a suprise. Had a dusting here this morning. Some pics of a snow shower that moved through at 11 AM. Nothing intense, but can't complain about a little lake effect in the middle of what has been a warm pattern.

2hmjvnn_th.jpg 15psh8j_th.jpg

Yeah It has been light LES on/off as well, and the snow we did have on the ground has been long gone once the sun peaked through the cloud cover. Plus surface temps are fairly warm right around 37-38 most of the day with a high of 40°F. I might as well enjoy the flurries as this looks to be the only decent chance of snow for a while.

Side note, I really wish that sand spit peninsula in Ontario Canada called Long Point Island would go away, because on a WNW wind like now the bands form on either side of it. It really screws up our lake effect here. People should move from long point to Nanticoke and they should dredge that part out of Lake Erie :devilsmiley: lolz I'm such a weather :weenie:

Another side note, this snow has put me in a good mode and research mode. Does anyone know where I can find the Great Appalachian Snowstorm of Nov 1950 maps, Wiki only had observations but didn't actually have a snowfall total map for the whole storm. I know Pittsburgh got blasted, but don't know about other areas of PA.

Yeah It has been light LES on/off as well, and the snow we did have on the ground has been long gone once the sun peaked through the cloud cover. Plus surface temps are fairly warm right around 37-38 most of the day with a high of 40°F. I might as well enjoy the flurries as this looks to be the only decent chance of snow for a while.

Side note, this snow has put me in a good mode and research mode. Does anyone know where I can find the Great Appalachian Snowstorm of Nov 1950 maps, Wiki only had observations but didn't actually have a snowfall total map for the whole storm. I know Pittsburgh got blasted, but don't know about other areas of PA.

Is this what your looking for?

post-803-0-54498500-1321042778.jpg

Us in the Southern foothills need pics please. Snowman.gif

I wish I would have taken pics this morning, but you don't want to see any now unless you want to see green grass :thumbsdown: If we can get some when the sun goes down I will try and take some. I don't think we have anybody on the forums from the Warren or Erie area, which is kind of a shame because they could send some cool lake effect pic shots.

Archived