• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Central PA thread

9.7" is likely way too high-I wonder if that's a liquid equivalent measurement using 10:1 or something.

The snow was compacting and melting as soon as it fell, measuring was quite difficult IMO.

Appears that 5.5" will be the official total after review. Makes more sense, as most places that got 8-10"+ were at least 750' in elevation.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL...I was right for our neck of the woods and Scranton-Wilkes Barre. We had next to nothing with .75+" of precip forecasted on majority of models.

Models generally did well here with amount of precip (~0.7"), and if it was 2F colder that would have likely led to about 7" of snow, but melting+compaction led to maybe 3 or 4 inches instead.

Models generally did well here with amount of precip (~0.7"), and if it was 2F colder that would have likely led to about 7" of snow, but melting+compaction led to maybe 3 or 4 inches instead.

Some of that was rain, the snow didn't really fall until like 8 am or so.

I dumped my gauge when the changover happened. I had 5.2 inches of snow and .77 liquid. About 8-1

A low of 27.8° this morning, with some pretty dense fog and a heavy frost. Perfect November morning. Today marked the 4th in a row with a low temp in the 20s, impressive for this time of year.

Same exact temp. That is freaking really impressive, imo.

Snow melts into the ground, cold ground + warm afternoons = epic fog.

It's funny how our low temps are much closer now than they used to be on rad. cooling nights. Proper thermometer siting FTW. We have a good weather station now, so instead of getting the reading at 2m right against our aluminum siding, we now have the 2m temp back behind the house, away from everything. Being at the bottom of a gradual NNE facing hillside really helps us cool effectively.

Snow melts into the ground, cold ground + warm afternoons = epic fog.

I'm in a valley and yesterday there was nasty freezing fog. They salted the roads even.

It's funny how our low temps are much closer now than they used to be on rad. cooling nights. Proper thermometer siting FTW. We have a good weather station now, so instead of getting the reading at 2m right against our aluminum siding, we now have the 2m temp back behind the house, away from everything. Being at the bottom of a gradual NNE facing hillside really helps us cool effectively.

Yeah, as a fan of microclimates, I enjoyed this post

The last bit of snow in the yard melted this morning. :(

There's some holdout patches of snow on the high ridgetops around here in shady spots.. 4 days after the fact. That alone is really impressive to me. It's also a sign that winter isn't as far away as it might seem, with the lower sun angle and all. And yes I agree this has been a really impressive stretch of cold lows too. It has seemed like in recent years that it is like pulling teeth to get some good cold fall nights for some reason or another. But this stretch of weather the past few days has reminded me of ideal weather for the start of deer season (if you can't have the snow of course).

Awesome, I will be at the game as well haha. Should be a good one. And yea I really hope its dry... last Penn State game i went to was the 2009 Iowa game. That one was a chilly washout.

So far, I have been fortunate to avoid adverse weather (Well, the NW game last year was pretty cold). Been going since 2010. I went to the Iowa game this year, that was a beautiful day.

Awesome, I will be at the game as well haha. Should be a good one. And yea I really hope its dry... last Penn State game i went to was the 2009 Iowa game. That one was a chilly washout.

Have season tix but now it's a toss up between going and selling them...could fetch a nice price (got 200$ for Bama game). Can't wait! Looks like a nice stretch of fall weather coming up, before we plunge into winter.

I'm hoping for good weather as well. 50s and partly cloudy would be excellent. Looks like the AMWX crowd will be there in full force. smile.gif

Archived