amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Second Winter Storm Threat - Oct 29/30

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just took a gander at the watch wording between PHI, OKX, BOX, and GYX. Kind of interesting how conservatively BOX is playing it.

PHI and OKX are throwing out 6-10" amounts.

GYX and is going 6" or more

BOX is going with this: THIS WATCH IS BASED ON IMPACT...AS IT IS THE FIRST POTENTIAL

WINTER STORM OF THE SEASON...AND EARLIER THAN MOST WINTER STORMS

OF THIS TYPE. A MIX OF WET AND SNOWY WEATHER WILL IMPACT MUCH OF

THE FORECAST AREA DURING THIS TIME. THERE IS THE CHANCE FOR

SNOWFALL OF 2 TO 5 INCHES NORTH AND WEST OF A BOSTON TO PROVIDENCE

LINE...

Obviusly something that can be tweaked upward. But I'm surprised their using "impact" due to it being the first storm rather than the fact that seeingly all the the models are giving warning criteria snows for much/most of the CWA. Are they that concerned that this could be elevation driven to use those totals in the watch?

Given the extreme amount of baroclinicity and an absolutely remarkable amount of frotogenesis plus available moisture I think we're going to see some funky things with convection trying to throw off the models.

That is the most interesting thing about this storm to me. How often do you have this sort of baroclinic interaction (is that a legal phrase?). This is like the dynamics we see in big noreasters in deep winter over the gulf stream. Convection city. The possibilities are exciting...wish I was closer to the coast. If last night gave thundersnow just imagine Saturday night.

That is the most interesting thing about this storm to me. How often do you have this sort of baroclinic interaction (is that a legal phrase?). This is like the dynamics we see in big noreasters in deep winter over the gulf stream. Convection city. The possibilities are exciting...wish I was closer to the coast. If last night gave thundersnow just imagine Saturday night.

I think someone will see thunder. Either TSRA or TSSN. The thing that might be tricky, is that with so much vertical motion in areas, we might have to look out for weird dryslots or subsidence zones. I don't know if it will happen...but it's possible with the amount of forcing involved. Hence the possibility of a second QPF max.

I think someone will see thunder. Either TSRA or TSSN. The thing that might be tricky, is that with so much vertical motion in areas, we might have to look out for weird dryslots or subsidence zones. I don't know if it will happen...but it's possible with the amount of forcing involved. Hence the possibility of a second QPF max.

Someone will havw insane dynamics and just get destroyed

well there will be some surprises. be interesting to me to see how much qpf gets wasted on the front end. probably more in sne than up here, but we'll see.

well there will be some surprises. be interesting to me to see how much qpf gets wasted on the front end. probably more in sne than up here, but we'll see.

That's a good point and will play into totals obviously. I'm happy to see that the call for western Franklin is for "snow likely with a chance of rain in the afternoon". So, I guess they have the odds of have a snow-start or at least minimal rain involvment.

Albany's AFD is a very good read--I expect they will expand their watches this afternoon. Of note, they have this little tidbit:

"WILL TILT MORE TWRD THE GFS AS THE 00UTC ECMWF JOINED THAT CAMP".

I'm not so sure this storms stays it's track. I'd watch for a shift of the precip towards the north at the very least. The last little even came in wetter and further north. Given that this storm was out to sea like a day ago, I'd not count out that NW trend continuing. Esp if the 500mb trough gets steeper.

Took me over an hour to go thru last nights models and reading thru 30 pages here, I am going to start at 4-8".

makes sense for your location...I debated 6-10 but have to leave open the possibility of lower amounts for a myriad of reasons. Starting 5-10, eager to go 8-12 (I am at 60%+ for 8+) if the models support it later.

Archived