• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
the October snowstorm Ian Disaster its going to be a long winter thread

Ji

And the euro sort of bailed this time which is what made Katie a cow or so I've heard. ;)

Someone should analyze his page and see what percentage of posts mention the Euro. It's gotta be like 80%.

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone should analyze his page and see what percentage of posts mention the Euro. It's gotta be like 80%.

He seems to almost always to go with the euro. It is the best model but isn't always right. Even if the new GFS is correct, I don't see snow just light to moderate rain, probably the former.

Would you mind sharing "how" you went back and looked. I'd love to be able to do that from time to time.

Don't know how Ellinwood does it, but you can find historical data here...

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

Just type in the zipcode in question and select the date. Seems to do a pretty good job - at least for temperatures. Precip data is spotty at best going back more than just a couple years.

Would you mind sharing "how" you went back and looked. I'd love to be able to do that from time to time.

I'm also curious about the coastal (?) from mid-October 2009. I was in CT for my friend's wedding the weekend of that storm, and since their anniversary just passed, I was thinking about it the other day. Nasty storm.

Don't know how Ellinwood does it, but you can find historical data here...

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

Just type in the zipcode in question and select the date. Seems to do a pretty good job - at least for temperatures. Precip data is spotty at best going back more than just a couple years.

I'm also curious about the coastal (?) from mid-October 2009. I was in CT for my friend's wedding the weekend of that storm, and since their anniversary just passed, I was thinking about it the other day. Nasty storm.

Thanks guys. Maybe Ellinwood with come in and link me up to the site he's using. I'm sure he will whenever he happens to see our posts.

12z GFS looks very much like the overnight runs. Still pops a low off the coast, but far enough away that everyone N/W of I-95 gets little/no precip. GFS also calls it "snow". The soundings it has would suggest maybe a rain/snow mix if they verified. Temps are above freezing from about 910mb to the surface, where temps are in the ~36-38 range. Mostly rain with maybe some ragged flakes. Would be a midnight high temperature on Saturday if it verified around ~40-45, which would be in the running for lowest max temp ever in October I believe?

More realistically, gets temps sub-freezing early Sunday!

At least all models show the energy digging south of dc metro before the potential low off the coast takes over. That + hp to the N makes this at least interesting.

This is a good example of how a NS system can "potentially" produce snow here. If this was happening one month later it would clearly be a snow threat.

Much better than a dying 850 in the oh valley transferring off the coast. It's a game of inches with NS systems for the MA. We ended up on the short end pretty much the balance of last year. This year could easily produce a more favorable result. I'll take a string of 2-4 or 3-5 storms to hit climo since miller A's are very unlikely.

12z GFS looks very much like the overnight runs. Still pops a low off the coast, but far enough away that everyone N/W of I-95 gets little/no precip. GFS also calls it "snow". The soundings it has would suggest maybe a rain/snow mix if they verified. Temps are above freezing from about 910mb to the surface, where temps are in the ~36-38 range. Mostly rain with maybe some ragged flakes. Would be a midnight high temperature on Saturday if it verified around ~40-45, which would be in the running for lowest max temp ever in October I believe?

picking up right where last winter left off....

40 pre DCA 41 at DCA (2002!).

GFS looks worse than 0z to me. Vort is north. Precip a bit east. Without hvy precip we probably have less than the no chance prior.

40 pre DCA 41 at DCA (2002!).

Wow. Well, this would certainly get close (43-44?) if the GFS verified.

GFS looks worse than 0z to me. Vort is north. Precip a bit east. Without hvy precip we probably have less than the no chance prior.

Eh...you're right on the vort and precip, but it's a pretty small shift. Precip contours shift probably ~10-20mi at most. S/w trough as a whole doesn't dig quite as much, but the vort max itself is probably at nearly the same latitude at 18z Saturday.

Certainly if we were really hoping for snow on this storm, we'd want the vort to dig ~100mi farther south.

Yeah, for a temp profile like the one the GFS indicates, you'd really need a heavier burst and some dynamics to get it to mix/change to snow.

Wow. Well, this would certainly get close (43-44?) if the GFS verified.

Eh...you're right on the vort and precip, but it's a pretty small shift. Precip contours shift probably ~10-20mi at most. S/w trough as a whole doesn't dig quite as much, but the vort max itself is probably at nearly the same latitude at 18z Saturday.

Certainly if we were really hoping for snow on this storm, we'd want the vort to dig ~100mi farther south.

Yeah, for a temp profile like the one the GFS indicates, you'd really need a heavier burst and some dynamics to get it to mix/change to snow.

Looking from my phone so hard to judge specifics. Not terribly exciting tho. If I had to bet we won't be as cols as shown either.

Looking from my phone so hard to judge specifics. Not terribly exciting tho. If I had to bet we won't be as cols as shown either.

That's another reliable stance to take. Cold air has been coming for years on the GFS, but it is hasn't ever made it. The last really cold airmass that I remember is 1996. There may have been some in between that I'm just forgetting.

Archived