Newest Member
    joxey
GLOV November obs/disco thread

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trolling hard again.

I agree as well. I'm pretty sure Boston averages a tad more snow than Detroit, and gets the Nor'easters that snow lovers in the Midwest would be happy to get half of. Now if you're comparing Detroit, Milwaukee, or Chicago to New York, I would probably take the former three, because New York's snow averages are in the 20s.

I agree as well. I'm pretty sure Boston averages a tad more snow than Detroit, and gets the Nor'easters that snow lovers in the Midwest would be happy to get half of. Now if you're comparing Detroit, Milwaukee, or Chicago to New York, I would probably take the former three, because New York's snow averages are in the 20s.

Last I checked Boston receives less snow on average than Detroit and most of the other GL cities. In Boston you could spend a solid month waiting on norlum trough or a decent coastal bomb. Yes u get larger scale synaptic systems but in the great lakes you get more bang for your buck.

Last I checked Boston receives less snow on average than Detroit and most of the other GL cities. In Boston you could spend a solid month waiting on norlum trough or a decent coastal bomb. Yes u get larger scale synaptic systems but in the great lakes you get more bang for your buck.

Boston does average a couple more inches of snow then the Detroit area (according to http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=box and http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=dtx), and also averages more 10"+ snowstorms per year (0.2 for Detroit and 0.5 for Boston). However, Boston also averages winters that are substantially warmer and with less snow cover days then Detroit. Pick you poison.

Ditto, Boston is great, NYC nasso much.

Trolling hard again.

100% serious I'd take Boston winters over non-lake belt midwest winters anyday. the rest of the seasons, naso much. not to mention you go a few miles west into the suburbs where most people live anyways and the difference is even greater, case in point 67 inches in Worcester. Almost none of our MW/Lakes posters actually live in Chicago or Detroit anyways.

Boston does average a couple more inches of snow then the Detroit area (according to http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=box and http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=dtx), and also averages more 10"+ snowstorms per year (0.2 for Detroit and 0.5 for Boston). However, Boston also averages winters that are substantially warmer and with

less snow cover days then Detroit. Pick you poison.

Bingo. It depends on if you want 3 big events or a long drawn out threshold of hell frozen over GL type winter. Personally give me a Chicago or Detroit winter.

Bingo. It depends on if you want 3 big events or a long drawn out threshold of hell frozen over GL type winter. Personally give me a Chicago or Detroit winter.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the only reason I really want cold is for the opportunity for snowstorms. Cold and dry (even with snow on the ground) is nearly useless imo (unless it's record breaking cold, which is interesting for the record's sake).

I can't turn my back on the fact that new egland gets incredible coastal bombs once in while. But I'll take my weekly or bi weekly colorodo or hookers any day. Frequency for some quality an amounts for others. Gosh we sound like addicts who need a 12 step program. Some serious weather junkies.

Factor in our clippers too. Sure some hit MA and dump but they entertain us.

Agree 100%. Now, interior New England its a different story, but then again snowfall and especially snowcover also increases dramatically just NW of Detroit. But if we are strictly talking metro areas of Boston vs Detroit, its a nobrainer to go for Detroit for me. Not a QUESTION that Detroit is a better winter climate. It's much more reliable. No question Boston has been getting slammed with some epic snowstorms lately, but think of all the winters where the area gets screwed, not to mention even in those great winters they have long periods of nothing often-times. Here, if we go a week without measurable snow here in the winter, many on here complain like crazy, even with snow on the ground. This happens ALL the time in Boston, many times 2-3-4 weeks at a time. Though the snowfall averages are near identical (per NOWdata the 1981-2010 says 44.0" at DTW and 45.1" at BOS), two totally different winter climates.

1981-2010 per NOWdata

Avg snowfall: DTW: 44.0", BOS 45.1"

Days with 1"+ snowcover DTW: 46.7 days, BOS: 24.1 days

Days with 3"+ snowcover: DTW: 28.3 days, BOS: 14.7 days

Days with 5"+ snowcover: DTW: 15.3 days, BOS: 9.0 days

Days with 10"+ snowcover: DTW: 2.9 days, BOS: 3.1 days

Days with measurable snowfall: DTW: 36.8 days, BOS: 22.4 days

Days with 1"+ snowfall: DTW: 13.4 days, BOS: 11.1 days

Days with 3"+ snowfall: DTW: 4.3 days, BOS: 4.9 days

Days with 5"+ snowfall: DTW: 1.7 days, BOS: 2.8 days

Days with 10"+ snowfall: DTW: 0.2 days, BOS: 0.5 days

Appears a pattern change to colder might be approaching. GFS has been hinting at colder air for several runs with the 12z run today opening the flood gates.

I see that. though the OP is much colder than all ensembles at the end of the period. Im hoping for the usual where the OP GFS catches onto a change too soon lol, as I will be out of town Nov 13-20. Then bring on winter on Nov 21st!

I can't turn my back on the fact that new egland gets incredible coastal bombs once in while. But I'll take my weekly or bi weekly colorodo or hookers any day. Frequency for some quality an amounts for others. Gosh we sound like addicts who need a 12 step program. Some serious weather junkies.

Factor in our clippers too. Sure some hit MA and dump but they entertain us.

Yup, as I said in my post above, I see complaining on here ALL the time when we go 5-7 days without a snowfall. I also always hear things about how the snow is looking old and needs a refresher. LOL what would these people do on the east coast when even in a good winter, you go weeks, sometimes a month straight without any snow at all, and in a bad winter...suicide here we come!

Yup, as I said in my post above, I see complaining on here ALL the time when we go 5-7 days without a snowfall. I also always hear things about how the snow is looking old and needs a refresher. LOL what would these people do on the east coast when even in a good winter, you go weeks, sometimes a month straight without any snow at all, and in a bad winter...suicide here we come!

meh, i regularly go weeks or months without real snow in the winter. NE winters are better, more snow, more big snows.

Seems about 90% of americanwx doesn't get out much in the cold and snow anyways to enjoy winter and if I was one of those its a slam dunk Boston>Detroit for me. Just not enough big events for some reason around detroit and south to pass up the hard on tracking a nor'easter brings..

spot on

meh, i regularly go weeks or months without real snow in the winter. NE winters are better, more snow, more big snows.

We get a lot more days of snow even if it's very light just because we live east of Lake Michigan. It must kind of suck over there when you get those bitter but sunny days. While you're getting that, we are probably at least getting scattered snow showers.

Archived