• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GLOV November obs/disco thread

snowstormcanuck

If we're only talking about winter, I think I'd have to go Boston over Detroit too. I'd take the less frequent snows in exchange for better bomb potential.

I'd just like to experience something like Snowmaggedon in the D.C. area, or basically anything over 12-14" of snow. Never seen anything more than 12" (Feb 10th '10 and Jan '05), so too have one of those Nor'Easters would be incredible.

Just once though, I'm fine with my weather here in winter

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto, Boston is great, NYC nasso much.

100% serious I'd take Boston winters over non-lake belt midwest winters anyday. the rest of the seasons, naso much. not to mention you go a few miles west into the suburbs where most people live anyways and the difference is even greater, case in point 67 inches in Worcester. Almost none of our MW/Lakes posters actually live in Chicago or Detroit anyways.

Why does he keep getting brought into this discussion? :axe::P

Boston tends to mix with rain a lot, what you really want is Worcester. Worcester is tied with Denver for places I would love to live some day if the choice was that easy.

That said, Philly averages a lot less than SNE (our 81-10 average is 22 something...still better than our 71-00 average, which was 19.3 ish yikes.png) and I definitely enjoyed Jan 2011 (40 days of consecutive snow cover with at least an inch of new snow every week for 5 weeks) much more than 2009-2010 which came in 3 big thumps (and 1 failure).

:facepalm:

Facepalm my self for starting this debate.

Bottom Line if you like Monster Snow events then Boston is better and I know its gamble on the east coast. Because one year you get 70" then the next 20". If you like Nickle and Dime events with Snow being on the ground longer then Detroit is better. Its just a personal preference. I made a point to my wife years ago when I first met her, that I WILL never live south of 59 just because of winter. NO JOKE! laugh.gif.

I'd just like to experience something like Snowmaggedon in the D.C. area, or basically anything over 12-14" of snow. Never seen anything more than 12" (Feb 10th '10 and Jan '05), so too have one of those Nor'Easters would be incredible.

Just once though, I'm fine with my weather here in winter

Yup. I got 16"+ back in Jan 1999, but that was so long ago it might as well never have happened. I haven't seen 8"+ since March 2008. Three whole MFing winters have passed without an 8" fall. Pure frustration. If I had hair to pull out it'd be gone.. I'd without a doubt take a Boston winter over what I get here in Toronto. The couple of inches I lose off the average is well worth it.

But transplant me just 20 miles to the northwest, and Boston can suck it. Fake effect is AOK in my books.

45 years ago tomorrow, 7.8" of snow fell at IND on November 2, 1966. It's their 2nd greatest calendar day November snowfall (1st place: 8.6" on November 16, 1932).

I would love to experience a November like that... 17.9"... about half of the winter average before it officially started. Great winter all around, despite being missed by the big one in January.

Yup. I got 16"+ back in Jan 1999, but that was so long ago it might as well never have happened. I haven't seen 8"+ since March 2008. Three whole MFing winters have passed without an 8" fall. Pure frustration. If I had hair to pull out it'd be gone.. I'd without a doubt take a Boston winter over what I get here in Toronto. The couple of inches I lose off the average is well worth it.

But transplant me just 20 miles to the northwest, and Boston can suck it. Fake effect is AOK in my books.

:scooter:

Between Detroit and Toronto theres a Magical place called "London" just move there. Heck they get 5 feet at a time

45 years ago tomorrow, 7.8" of snow fell at IND on November 2, 1966. It's their 2nd greatest calendar day November snowfall (1st place: 8.6" on November 16, 1932).

I would LOVE to know the track of that puppy. That dumped around a foot up this way. Have a hunch it was moving almost due north to lay down that kind of snow at IND and here?

Great start to what would become a historic winter with a historic storm around here!

Bottom Line if you like Monster Snow events then Boston is better and I know its gamble on the east coast. Because one year you get 70" then the next 20". If you like Nickle and Dime events with Snow being on the ground longer then Detroit is better. Its just a personal preference. I made a point to my wife years ago when I first met her, that I WILL never live south of 59 just because of winter. NO JOKE! laugh.gif.

I'll take Boston and especially Worcester over Detroit. Give me the bombs.

Why i would prefer ( above all else ) a location closer to Lake MI and or near/just west/west side of Kalamazoo. A number of those areas have never seen less then 30 in a winter and very very few seasons under 40. The bomb potential would not be missed as much thanks to big lake events.

I would LOVE to know the track of that puppy. That dumped around a foot up this way. Have a hunch it was moving almost due north to lay down that kind of snow at IND and here?

Great start to what would become a historic winter with a historic storm around here!

I'll take Boston and especially Worcester over Detroit. Give me the bombs.

Why i would prefer ( above all else ) a location closer to Lake MI and or near/just west/west side of Kalamazoo. A number of those areas have never seen less then 30 in a winter and very very few seasons under 40. The bomb potential would not be missed as much thanks to big lake events.

Just out of curiosity...what do you do for a living in Battle Creek? I have zero context, so it seems like an odd place for an EC boy to move.

I'd take Detroit over Boston, but Worcester over Detroit.

PERFECTLY stated. Worcester you see the big bomb potential and get the snowcover. I too would take their climate over Detroit. It seems some on here are thinking of just the big bomb winters in Boston and not what you go through in the lean years. I posted the averages in the last page, and while averages are just that, averages, they come about by taking into account the good AND the bad. So when you take a 30-year sample of Boston and Detroit winters, you get near identical snowfall, yet Detroit sees twice as many days with snow on the ground, be it 1"+, 3"+, or 5"+ in depth, that alone is #1 for me, but even in terms of snowfall, Detroit averages more 1"+ snowfalls per winter, about the same 3"+ snowfalls per winter, and just slightly less 5"+ snowfalls per winter. If I could be transported to Boston for a noreaster, Im THERE, other than that, give me a Detroit winter any day. I mean, what snow lover wouldnt want to experience a noreaster? Would I want to experience a 10" snowstorm in Detroit or a 20" storm in Boston? Hmmm let me think about that. DUH!!!! But winter comes first, and for all aspects of winter (cold, snow falling, snowcover) other than a noreaster, Detroit >>> Boston.

And as for Alex saying theres been weeks of no snow in Chicago in the winter time (Detroit actually sees more snow days than Chicago anyway), Im not saying it doesnt happen, I was making a point. Bottom line- in almost any given winter, way more days free of snow in Boston than Detroit. Period. Take me to Worcester, now youre talking!

Just out of curiosity...what do you do for a living in Battle Creek? I have zero context, so it seems like an odd place for an EC boy to move.

Had been working in manufacturing. Right now for the past 5 months or so i have been helping a friend with running his business which is laundry/dry cleaning. He is trying to fully retire and has been selling off all of his businesses here in town ( he had like 5 ) and this is the last one he has that has not been sold. Him and his wife plan to move to Chicago to be closer to their kids as soon as this one is sold. They have other properties here ( houses they rent out and such ) but won't wait for them to sell. Anyways this last business has needed some work and thus where i come in as part of that work involves his sh!tty ( Lazy ) staff he has had and getting the place in shape so it can sell. That is the shortened version anyways. Oh and the wifes family is what really brought me here initially. When i was younger though i always thought about living either up near Boston or this part of Michigan. The only things i really miss from back east is the big storms and food other then my relatives.

It was pretty much due north, from the FL panhandle to WV to southern Ontario, pretty powerful phasing:

1966_nov_2_snowfall_contour.gif

1966_nov_3_snowfall_contour.gif

More here: http://www.greatlakes.salsite.com/Toledo_Snowstorms.html

PERFECTLY stated. Worcester you see the big bomb potential and get the snowcover. I too would take their climate over Detroit. It seems some on here are thinking of just the big bomb winters in Boston and not what you go through in the lean years. I posted the averages in the last page, and while averages are just that, averages, they come about by taking into account the good AND the bad. So when you take a 30-year sample of Boston and Detroit winters, you get near identical snowfall, yet Detroit sees twice as many days with snow on the ground, be it 1"+, 3"+, or 5"+ in depth, that alone is #1 for me, but even in terms of snowfall, Detroit averages more 1"+ snowfalls per winter, about the same 3"+ snowfalls per winter, and just slightly less 5"+ snowfalls per winter. If I could be transported to Boston for a noreaster, Im THERE, other than that, give me a Detroit winter any day. I mean, what snow lover wouldnt want to experience a noreaster? Would I want to experience a 10" snowstorm in Detroit or a 20" storm in Boston? Hmmm let me think about that. DUH!!!! But winter comes first, and for all aspects of winter (cold, snow falling, snowcover) other than a noreaster, Detroit >>> Boston.

Thing is which ALWAYS sits in the back of my mind is the 40s/50s and early 60s. Even here was no picnic in winters like 47-48 and 52-53 with less then 30". Think about it.. That stretch from 47-48 till 63-64 basically had just one winter with what now is considered above normal snowfall and thus see 51-52 other then that only 59-60 managed to crack the 50" mark and 7 of them failed to crack 40! And that is here! Ofcourse some of that may be screwed up too with missing data but still i doubt THAT much is missing.

Try to imagine a winter like 47-48! :yikes:

Point is that it is very possible we could see a long stretch of very crappy winters like they have.

Currently living in the Detroit metro area and having lived relatively close to Worcester (15 miles east)...

The snowcover out here in Detroit lasts a bit more. What I've noticed out in New England is that winter temperatures fluctuate a lot more... you can have night time lows in January in the fifties (and a matching dew point!) with some nor'easters, whereas others you barely get above zero degrees... and others, it'll start below zero with heavy snow and then shoot up into the fifties and wipe out the snow. Though, of course, I do miss those cold coastal bombs a whole lot... especially since they seem to be occurring with colder scenarios these past few years.

But yeah, Worcester is nice, though some elevated areas to the north and especially west of the city gets a whole lot more snow... not to mention more tornadic activity and the rare hurricane.

And as for Alex saying theres been weeks of no snow in Chicago in the winter time (Detroit actually sees more snow days than Chicago anyway), Im not saying it doesnt happen, I was making a point. Bottom line- in almost any given winter, way more days free of snow in Boston than Detroit. Period. Take me to Worcester, now youre talking!

Thing is which ALWAYS sits in the back of my mind is the 40s/50s and early 60s. Even here was no picnic in winters like 47-48 and 52-53 with less then 30". Think about it.. That stretch from 47-48 till 63-64 basically had just one winter with what now is considered above normal snowfall and thus see 51-52 other then that only 59-60 managed to crack the 50" mark and 7 of them failed to crack 40! And that is here! Ofcourse some of that may be screwed up too with missing data but still i doubt THAT much is missing.

Try to imagine a winter like 47-48! :yikes:

Point is that it is very possible we could see a long stretch of very crappy winters like they have.

It always sits in my mind. Its telling me.. I better be happy with the last few winters. It could change just like that for the worse

The 90's were bad excluding Jan 99. Take away 98-99. I dont think we ever cracked 50"+ I rememeber 97 with only 27.5" yikes.png

Archived