• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monson Tornado Pic

#NoPoles

Nice and congrats on volunteering!! Good job!!

it was fun...it was sponsored by Reforest Monson and the MA DCR (my employer) we planted 30 trees and 30 shrubs...i led a group of newly teenage girls and boys...oh the hormones surging through their veins!

they were all giggling hysterically so i finally caved and asked what all the "commotion" was about...they told me they named one of the shovels "pervert"

the particular shovel was a military style e-tool folding type mini-shovel...and on the side of it in big lettering, it said "LUBRICATE"

I went to a volunteer day in Monson, MA last weekend and snagged a pic of this pic...

Gorgeous pic-- just awesome.

They added stupid music to this one which I hate, but after 1 min and esp 1:30, it gets really impressive. It even has some of the vorticity tubes that the Tuscaloosa tornado had.

Ugh, agreed. I never understand why people feel the need to add music to wx video. Is a giant tornado approaching a town not dramatic enough? Does it need music to emphasize the gravity of it?

that video is awesome...i can't believe that happened in MA!!

Gorgeous pic-- just awesome.

Ugh, agreed. I never understand why people feel the need to add music to wx video. Is a giant tornado approaching a town not dramatic enough? Does it need music to emphasize the gravity of it?

The video is incredible. I would have totally crapped my pants if I saw that coming. Almost as good as an i-cyclone video...lol.

Talking about tornadoes I was skimming U Tube and came across an unbelievable video. It had only 4000 views and I had never seen it before. The tornado in this Tuscaloosa video looks a bit like the Monson tornado. The guy filming was pretty stupid to keep filming the core just missed him by several hundred feet it looks like. Here it is:

They added stupid music to this one which I hate, but after 1 min and esp 1:30, it gets really impressive. It even has some of the vorticity tubes that the Tuscaloosa tornado had.

Hefty wedge, right there. Definitely has some pretty violent motion.

Regarding the Tuscaloosa video, I've seen that one and those people were out of their minds to stand that close to a window with that thing bearing down on them.

Here's another pretty scary one from the same day from the Cordova EF4:

Has Turtle seen that Monson video...

I think she is right...

I would poop myself if I saw that.

Yep, have that video from Channel 4. It was originally filmed by a 13 YO kid that lives in Monson, and there was a lot of naughty words on the original video. Just mute the video and watch...much, much better.

I also made sure that SPC got a copy. I met up with the WCM of SPC here in Birmingham. He thought that video was amazing, especially the suction vortices you could see rotating around the main funnel. An amazing storm!

BTW, got some new aerial photos over Monson. WOW!!!

--Turtle

Hefty wedge, right there. Definitely has some pretty violent motion.

Regarding the Tuscaloosa video, I've seen that one and those people were out of their minds to stand that close to a window with that thing bearing down on them.

Here's another pretty scary one from the same day from the Cordova EF4:

Wow....that's crazy. No matter how amazing that tornado looked...I would have been in the basement long before....lol.

I'll be giving a talk at LSC on 11/2 about this day. Just finished the paper. I've seen that Monson video of the wedge coming up over the hill and I really wish there was an HD version.

The video of that dude watching a wedge come in was classic. I don't think I've laughed as hard since the conference when we pulled it up on the computer.

Watching a wedge come in like he's in Oklahoma or Texas.

Totally evil. He took it so hard.

I do feel bad, honestly. But its easy to poke him about it.

This was his once a decade shot. But I'm actually glad he didn't chase it...it was a very dangerous tornado....it knocked over several cars on I-84. It was a hard storm to chase. Its hard around here with all the hills.

Thanks, Josh :)

I get ribbed left and right and while it really does hurt (not the ribbing but missing out) I can handle it.

I had been waiting for that day since 5/31/98...and the hardest part is actually having the idea or thought that what did occur actually did (You can't say you KNOW it was going to happen). I'll just never forget the days leading up to that and especially the day before. My friend was done for two weeks to go chasing, every year he comes down here for two weeks (usually the final week of May and 1st week of June) and whenever there is a storm threat we will go and chase something.

Anyways the day before we were looking over models and felt so excited. I had a playoff baseball game that day (this was on the Tuesday) and I told him if we won today we would have to play tomorrow. He asked me, "Is that going to interfere with missing out on storms?" In my head I was telling myself it probably would but i told him it wouldn't and I told him where the game would be and that it's a decent spot for big storms. I also told him we're not going to win. The last time my high school baseball team won a first round game was in 2002 and we were going up against the 9th ranked team in the state I believe.

Well the game was going on and we were losing 8-2 in the 4th inning...we end up tying the game up in the top of the 7th and then winning in the 8th. I was happy for the team but I was also really hoping we would lose. I actually felt horrible and dirty b/c here I was rooting for this team to lose and that hurt b/c I am really passionate about baseball and sports and being the person to do the scorebook is a real honor for me, especially since I took over for someone who had to retire b/c of old age and not being able to really drive much and for someone who had major care for the team as well.

I do agree though, it could have been very dangerous for us to chase and something horrible could have gone wrong.

here's the sad thing...the tornado scar is horrific...it will take decades for everything to recover...and Monson is a poor town in a poor area (compared to the coastal plain) most of the people whose houses were destroyed were underinsured or not insured...they just left...there are so many vacant lots...and then there are the houses that are still standing but horribly damaged- those owners just had to walk away...hope to sell as is and try to start over somewhere else...it broke my heart...just going back (4 months later) and looking at all the damage i was shocked how it affected me...

i was chatting with a woman who helped coordinate the Reforest Monson volunteer day, and she said in the Monson/Brimfield area ~300people deceided not to rebuild or couldn't rebuil (this is more likely) so they left...

Archived