• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monson Tornado Pic

#NoPoles

I get ribbed left and right and while it really does hurt (not the ribbing but missing out) I can handle it.

Look at it this way. If you were chasing that day there's a probably a 98% chance that you'd have gone after the Northampton warned cell and by the time you realized the significance of the Springfield storm it would be too late. So its likely you miss it anyways.

I chased a lot in the late 90's, I was out in both July 3, 1997 and May 31, 1998. I largely saw bupkis. Total crap shoot even on a great setup around here.

I posted this before Not true at all i went and chased the Northampton storm and saw the biggest hail of my life and trees were bending sideways and i thought wow that was awesome!!! Little did i know what i was about to get myself into.. I was heading down 91 towards springfield with just a few showers got to exit 13 and the sky looked like nothing ive ever seen before and didnt think much about it about a minute later i heard the tornado warning on the radio and then they went live and said there was a tornado in west springfield being reported i was looking all over and trying to drive at the same time i got to exit 10 and there it was right in front of me.. slowed down waited until it was moving further away and flew to the 291 on ramp and watched it rip up springfield it was amazing on this video you see me drive by at the one minute mark i have the red saturn it was perfect timing!

Look at it this way. If you were chasing that day there's a probably a 98% chance that you'd have gone after the Northampton warned cell and by the time you realized the significance of the Springfield storm it would be too late. So its likely you miss it anyways.

I chased a lot in the late 90's, I was out in both July 3, 1997 and May 31, 1998. I largely saw bupkis. Total crap shoot even on a great setup around here.

Thanks, Josh :)

I get ribbed left and right and while it really does hurt (not the ribbing but missing out) I can handle it.

I had been waiting for that day since 5/31/98...and the hardest part is actually having the idea or thought that what did occur actually did (You can't say you KNOW it was going to happen). I'll just never forget the days leading up to that and especially the day before. My friend was done for two weeks to go chasing, every year he comes down here for two weeks (usually the final week of May and 1st week of June) and whenever there is a storm threat we will go and chase something.

Anyways the day before we were looking over models and felt so excited. I had a playoff baseball game that day (this was on the Tuesday) and I told him if we won today we would have to play tomorrow. He asked me, "Is that going to interfere with missing out on storms?" In my head I was telling myself it probably would but i told him it wouldn't and I told him where the game would be and that it's a decent spot for big storms. I also told him we're not going to win. The last time my high school baseball team won a first round game was in 2002 and we were going up against the 9th ranked team in the state I believe.

Well the game was going on and we were losing 8-2 in the 4th inning...we end up tying the game up in the top of the 7th and then winning in the 8th. I was happy for the team but I was also really hoping we would lose. I actually felt horrible and dirty b/c here I was rooting for this team to lose and that hurt b/c I am really passionate about baseball and sports and being the person to do the scorebook is a real honor for me, especially since I took over for someone who had to retire b/c of old age and not being able to really drive much and for someone who had major care for the team as well.

I do agree though, it could have been very dangerous for us to chase and something horrible could have gone wrong.

i cant believe you won the baseball game!

what horrible luck!

here's the sad thing...the tornado scar is horrific...it will take decades for everything to recover...and Monson is a poor town in a poor area (compared to the coastal plain) most of the people whose houses were destroyed were underinsured or not insured...they just left...there are so many vacant lots...and then there are the houses that are still standing but horribly damaged- those owners just had to walk away...hope to sell as is and try to start over somewhere else...it broke my heart...just going back (4 months later) and looking at all the damage i was shocked how it affected me...

i was chatting with a woman who helped coordinate the Reforest Monson volunteer day, and she said in the Monson/Brimfield area ~300people deceided not to rebuild or couldn't rebuil (this is more likely) so they left...

I imagine something similar happening if a monster like that ripped through here. Folks in the wealthier towns nearby would likely be able to rebuild but many out here at the top of the commuter-shed just wouldn't have the means. Irene certainly left a wake of this sort of thing in parts of VT.

And as others said, I would've soiled my trousers if I saw that thing coming up over the ridge here.

here's the sad thing...the tornado scar is horrific...it will take decades for everything to recover...and Monson is a poor town in a poor area (compared to the coastal plain) most of the people whose houses were destroyed were underinsured or not insured...they just left...there are so many vacant lots...and then there are the houses that are still standing but horribly damaged- those owners just had to walk away...hope to sell as is and try to start over somewhere else...it broke my heart...just going back (4 months later) and looking at all the damage i was shocked how it affected me...

i was chatting with a woman who helped coordinate the Reforest Monson volunteer day, and she said in the Monson/Brimfield area ~300people deceided not to rebuild or couldn't rebuil (this is more likely) so they left...

Diane..how's it look in monson now? I was there the day of, it was awful...

see my above post

Diane, is your beetle job ending soon?

yes sir...about 4-5 more weeks and that's it...

i think in the spring there are going to be more volunteer days to help with replanting trees...and not just Monson, i heard that Brimfield may be planning a day as as well as Sturbridge...

Selling hot dogs and hanging score board numbers during a F3 borderline F4

I was on a plane coming home from storm chasing in the Plains :thumbsdown:

Good thing it was killer may 30th in SD. Which I could have at least seen the strobe lightning here though.

I'll be giving a talk at LSC on 11/2 about this day. Just finished the paper. I've seen that Monson video of the wedge coming up over the hill and I really wish there was an HD version.

Excited for this talk. Peter Banacos gave one last week about the EML specifically which was also very informative.

(BTW I'm a freshman at LSC now, home is ~1/2 mile from tornado track in Monson for those curious).

~Chris

If someone can tell me how to upload it, I have an as yet unseen panoramic video of the Monson tornado, though it's short. It was shot from just adjacent to West View Farm on East Hill Road, which runs north/south along the top of the easterly ridge that rises from downtown Monson. In the video, the tornado is just about through savaging the downtown, and is heading uphill towards King Street where some of the more epic damage took place. It crossed East Hill Rd. just to the north, less than a half mile from West View Farm. Towards the end of this short clip, large debris can be seen being tossed by the whirlwind on its left side close to the ground.

Again, I will post this if someone can tell me how to bring it down to size-- the message I'm getting is it's too large a file. Format: IMG Movie.

If someone can tell me how to upload it, I have an as yet unseen panoramic video of the Monson tornado, though it's short. It was shot from just adjacent to West View Farm on East Hill Road, which runs north/south along the top of the easterly ridge that rises from downtown Monson. In the video, the tornado is just about through savaging the downtown, and is heading uphill towards King Street where some of the more epic damage took place. It crossed East Hill Rd. just to the north, less than a half mile from West View Farm. Towards the end of this short clip, large debris can be seen being tossed by the whirlwind on its left side close to the ground.

Again, I will post this if someone can tell me how to bring it down to size-- the message I'm getting is it's too large a file. Format: IMG Movie.

Create a youtube account and upload it there. Than you can link the video here. I'm sure many here would be excited to see it too.

Here is an as yet unseen panoramic video of the Monson tornado, though it's short. It was shot from just adjacent to West View Farm on East Hill Road, which runs north/south along the top of the easterly ridge that rises from downtown Monson. In the video, the tornado is just about through savaging the downtown, and is heading uphill towards King Street where some of the more epic damage took place. It crossed East Hill Rd. just to the north, less than a half mile from West View Farm. Towards the end of this short clip, large debris can be seen being tossed by the whirlwind on its left side close to the ground.

Here is an as yet unseen panoramic video of the Monson tornado, though it's short. It was shot from just adjacent to West View Farm on East Hill Road, which runs north/south along the top of the easterly ridge that rises from downtown Monson. In the video, the tornado is just about through savaging the downtown, and is heading uphill towards King Street where some of the more epic damage took place. It crossed East Hill Rd. just to the north, less than a half mile from West View Farm. Towards the end of this short clip, large debris can be seen being tossed by the whirlwind on its left side close to the ground.

that is unreal!!! thanks for posting that!!!

Thank you very much for sharing

OMG!! Thank you for sharing. Be sure to update the site with the description of where this was filmed. I plan on forwarding out to the WCM out at SPC. Did you film it? Just wondering...

I saw the incredible damage on East Hill Road (it wasn't the house with just its staircase left, was it??) and have some photos in my PP show of the storm surveys.

--Turtle

P.S. YES, go to the basement! ;)

Gorgeous pic-- just awesome.

Ugh, agreed. I never understand why people feel the need to add music to wx video. Is a giant tornado approaching a town not dramatic enough? Does it need music to emphasize the gravity of it?

probably because they are embarrassed about what they said and needed something to cover it up

the thing that upset me most about the video is it looks like 8 bit color.. still super impressive anyway

cool video.. embedded:

Archived