• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Oct Banter/Obs IV...........

Mr Torchey

Must be some house you're building at 2k. Seems like you've been there for years now. How big is that thing?

One is 11,000 sq/ft, with a pool house, playhouse and garage/property maintenance building. Next door parcel we have a 7500sq/ft timber frame we started in August. We'll be here another year. Other projects on the table from 1700' to 2000'. I'll never leave the highlands.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got tons of wood. I'm guessing there might be 8-10 trees that have now come down. They saved me the hassle of taking them down and they chipped the small branches. Mulch for life.

Now, I just need to finishi sizing and splitting. Will be very well positioned for winter 2012-2013 into 2014.

Meanwhile, my station is in the living room, so disregard any of it's temp readings until later this afternoon where it will finally be accurately sited again.

One is 11,000 sq/ft, with a pool house, playhouse and garage/property maintenance building. Next door parcel we have a 7500sq/ft timber frame we started in August. We'll be here another year. Other projects on the table from 1700' to 2000'. I'll never leave the highlands.

Probably true since the average life expectancy there is 48.

Lunch hour

sunshine

this weather is incredible, pure pleasure to work in, hoping for 70 today!:thumbsup: Thursday roasts..............its going to be fun watching Pete spin a top 5 ALLTIME warm autumn in NEW England into a cool fall.:lmao:

It'll be easier than you trying to spin 60 degrees as roasting or the Jets as a playoff caliber team.

I've got tons of wood. I'm guessing there might be 8-10 trees that have now come down. They saved me the hassle of taking them down and they chipped the small branches. Mulch for life.

Now, I just need to finishi sizing and splitting. Will be very well positioned for winter 2012-2013 into 2014.

Meanwhile, my station is in the living room, so disregard any of it's temp readings until later this afternoon where it will finally be accurately sited again.

It's been in the living room for 1/2 an hour now and it's currently reading 57.2. Damn straight I need my shawl. The Pit is a cold place.

Family room stove ftw.

I don't believe they have DSL (what's FIOS?). I lucked out in that my street is the only one in town with cable (I think that's thanks to the fact that my neighbor is an astronaut). But aside from that,the vast majority of the hilltowns (Shelburne, Buckland, Colrain, Heath, Rowe, Ashfield--and I assume further south to Pete, Cummington, Worthington, etc.) rely on satellite for both TV and internet.

There are constant meetings in the counties with Verizon and Comcast to run the right cabling (fiber optics?) so we can get it. Of course, there's no cost benefit to the companies for doing it, so we've got what we've got.

44.2/36

Coindidentally, I just got the mail and we got something from HughesNet that's addressed "DIAL UP INTERNET HOUSEHOLD". :)

Hows your ant farm?

Well, so many trees have been taken down and that one still remains. We've told the guy we don't want to go more than 6 hours. We'll get to it eventually.

Coindidentally, I just got the mail and we got something from HughesNet that's addressed "DIAL UP INTERNET HOUSEHOLD". :)

Well, so many trees have been taken down and that one still remains. We've told the guy we don't want to go more than 6 hours. We'll get to it eventually.

Thats the one that could be trouble, Those ants like to find a new home and it ended up in my brother inlaws house when he took his down...

I don't believe they have DSL (what's FIOS?). I lucked out in that my street is the only one in town with cable (I think that's thanks to the fact that my neighbor is an astronaut). But aside from that,the vast majority of the hilltowns (Shelburne, Buckland, Colrain, Heath, Rowe, Ashfield--and I assume further south to Pete, Cummington, Worthington, etc.) rely on satellite for both TV and internet.

There are constant meetings in the counties with Verizon and Comcast to run the right cabling (fiber optics?) so we can get it. Of course, there's no cost benefit to the companies for doing it, so we've got what we've got.

44.2/36

FIOS is Verizon's fiber optic service to your house. It's only available in certain areas and isn't cheap. Pretty much you have to be in a metro area to even try to get it, and it's a long install - up to 10 hours depending on how tough it is for them from what some friends have told me. The local phone company here is Verizon so I thought of getting it 6-7 yrs ago when it was first offered (and super expensive) because I was moving at the time, but Optimum/Cablevision offers 100Mbps service for less than $100/month now which isn't bad especially if you're doing a cable/internet/phone bundle deal. I think the main difference is that with FIOS the fiber is run to your doorstep which means you never see a decrease in your download/upload speeds unlike cable which only runs fiber to an apartment building, neighborhood, or small town so your bandwidth is shared amongst all subscribers that utilize that fiber run.

FIOS is Verizon's fiber optic service to your house. It's only available in certain areas and isn't cheap. Pretty much you have to be in a metro area to even try to get it, and it's a long install - up to 10 hours depending on how tough it is for them from what some friends have told me. The local phone company here is Verizon so I thought of getting it 6-7 yrs ago when it was first offered (and super expensive) because I was moving at the time, but Optimum/Cablevision offers 100Mbps service for less than $100/month now which isn't bad especially if you're doing a cable/internet/phone bundle deal. I think the main difference is that with FIOS the fiber is run to your doorstep which means you never see a decrease in your download/upload speeds unlike cable which only runs fiber to an apartment building, neighborhood, or small town so your bandwidth is shared amongst all subscribers that utilize that fiber run.

My parents near Albany, NY just got FIOS and it is amazingly fast (and cheap). The download/upload speeds are significantly higher than what they previously had. When I visited the streaming and download speeds were twice what I've ever been used to on any public or shared network. It wasn't all that expensive either and they pay $89 a month for TV, internet, and phone service through Verizon's Fios. It was a full $100 a month cheaper than the previous cable company (Road Runner) for the same package. That is why they switched. They have a 2-year contract with Fios for that price of $89 a month.

QPF way down. Storm NBD.

Steve is locked and loaded. Don't bring him down now.

Maybe he'll have to go to messenger's house.

AMOUT..Just a wind threat.. 1/2 inch to an inch of rain...never saw the big deal with rain with this

NAM drenches CT.

I'm telling ya, someone could get a lot of rain in a short period of time.

Considering it comes in about 4 hours... yeah flash flooding is a possibility.

Just depends on where the best forcing and LL convergence sets up.

Laugh now, ill be laughing when youre begging ginx to help you fill bags

Interestingly I have not commented on this storm but you Mets flip flop more than a flounder on a sand bar. SnowNH- you better be careful, your virga run may not be over.

Absolute Gem on the south coast today!

Glad I don't live in Torchville, CT

A balmy 56 at home... looks like close to 60 here at work

It's colder in my living room (where my Davis has been sitting all afternoon) than it is on Mt. Tolland.

59.2/52

I need a thicker shawl.

Tree work is now done. As soon as my delayed 3:00p.m. meeting is done, I will replace the station. With the trees that have come down, I might even eek out some better wind readings.

How much does this pattern remind you of the first week of Nov last year with the 11/5 event then the early snow followed by a warm up.

Its a bit different. The last November storm was a storm that retrograded from the Gulf of Maine...this would be more of an anafrontal storm if it ever happened like depicted on the model.

Look at that torch in central and western Canada heading east at that time frame

Well if you look at that ridge in a complete one dimensional sense, sure, but notice it's folding over as the westerlies intensify into BC and Alberta. That doesn't look torch like at all

Archived