• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
18z GFS 12/8/10

lol @the GFS. At 96 hours, markedly different from 12z, colder in the east..less of a phase with the PV. All sorts of strange things

It is very odd run. The temps are colder but the 850 low is farther north albeit weaker. If it were to occur we'd only get light precipitation in the mid atlantic. I think we need to wait unitl the energy with the shortwave actually gets into the u.s. This run looks weird and certainly is miles away from the ukmet which gave us our best shot for a decent snow. This might give us something at onset especially back where you used to live before you decided to live in a snow hole.

It is very odd run. The temps are colder but the 850 low is farther north albeit weaker. If it were to occur we'd only get light precipitation in the mid atlantic. I think we need to wait unitl the energy with the shortwave actually gets into the u.s. This run looks weird and certainly is miles away from the ukmet which gave us our best shot for a decent snow. This might give us something at onset especially back where you used to live before you decided to live in a snow hole.

Yeah, I'd definitely wait till 0z before reading anything into this...but it does make you wonder if the UKMET may be on to something...or on something.

When will the shortwave get into the U.S?

Yeah, I'd definitely wait till 0z before reading anything into this...but it does make you wonder if the UKMET may be on to something...or on something.

Don't forget the DGEX..which as an extension of the NAM shows some major back-end snows as a result of the developing coastal low on the offshore front.

It looks like March 8th 2005 on this run. There's a nice secondary post frontal wave that hits NYC and NE with backlash snows.

GFS has essentially put more energy at the base of the troff. This is where we can use some sampling of the shortwave to determing if this is correct.

Don't forget the DGEX..which as an extension of the NAM shows some major back-end snows as a result of the developing coastal low on the offshore front.

Careful with that, the DGEX showed some major banding behind the storm but that only developed very late in response to the low bombing to 955 mb over CT. If you honestly think this low is going to bomg to category 3 hurricane status then perhaps that solution is realistic but it is very unlikely otherwise.

Based on the 18Z gfs, it would imply the ukmet was on something all right. As to when the shortwave will get into the conus, I'm guessing at another 48 to 54 hours.

Something is just off this run. Its like it cant decide where to focus development so the result is just a diffuse LP center until reaching the NE coast. This is definately not the final solution, and IMO suggests the GFS doesnt really have a clue right now.

It looks like March 8th 2005 on this run. There's a nice secondary post frontal wave that hits NYC and NE with backlash snows.

GFS has essentially put more energy at the base of the troff. This is where we can use some sampling of the shortwave to determing if this is correct.

i think that's sorta key if we want a better solution in the east. i noticed yesterday there were two maxes in the 500 energy with the gfs keying in the first. either way if it wasnt the 18z gfs (yeah i've seen the charts) this might be some sign that the "weenie" ideas while hopeful were not totally outlandish.

18z GFS ensemble mean takes it from interior NC/SC border to just E of SBY to near Block Island, RI (E of LI)...the mean would have it cold enough for mostly frozen about 50 mi NW of the I-95 cities.

This is a mean however, and I'm sure the spread is huge. It certainly is in a lot of disagreement with the 12z Euro ensembles which took the low a good 400-500 miles west.

The GFS keeping with its theme of weaker, more east, the EC keeping its theme of stronger, more west, this is becoming the gunfight at the OK corral. One of them is going down big time. It will be hard to put much faith in one of them after this is over.

One quick model question for anyone who might answer....what leads to these types of differences in the models. Are they markedly different in their structure or setup, or is this a matter of data collection?

I would wait until 0z before even thinking of snow in I-95. The 18z yesterday played this same game but then took it back west at 0z.

2 steps east and 1 step west=1 step east....only half serious with that one but its seemed the off hr runs are much further SE but since its first showed a more SE track the 0z and 12z seem to have shifted slightly east, though not as strongly as the 6z and 18z

18z GFS ensemble mean takes it from interior NC/SC border to just E of SBY to near Block Island, RI (E of LI)...the mean would have it cold enough for mostly frozen about 50 mi NW of the I-95 cities.

This is a mean however, and I'm sure the spread is huge. It certainly is in a lot of disagreement with the 12z Euro ensembles which took the low a good 400-500 miles west.

Does anyone have an accuracy chart for the individual ensemble members?

If 00Z keeps this up I might officially be interested.

That's pretty much my benchmark. Derecho is right though, the off hour runs tend to give false hope while the main hour runs yank it back.

It is rather interesting that most of the ensembles do have an offshore track. p009 is ridiculous.

That's pretty much my benchmark. Derecho is right though, the off hour runs tend to give false hope while the main hour runs yank it back.

It is rather interesting that most of the ensembles do have an offshore track. p009 is ridiculous.

There was a thread a few weeks ago that had some good information on the whole "00z & 12z runs are better than the 6z & 18z runs" and I think the conclusion was its just about the same when you average it out. I'll post a link in this post if I can find it.

Archived