• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter/ Disco

Baroclinic Zone

He's clueless about life in GC. Heading out soon.

Colrain is serious farmer/hippie country still. We, live on the border of Greenfield and E. Colrain and there are some folks up in them hills that you hardly see down in civilization.

Mayor Moonbeam.

LOL to the above.

Little sick of the rain at this point. We are thinking of heading to the GArlic festival in Orange later but I'd rather note tote the baby around in cool, sheet mist.

Head to the Festival of the Hills down in Conway. Make it an enjoyable drive by heading up to Shelburne and heading down Bardwell's Ferry Rd. That'll bring you past Cosby's place and across an awesome bridge that crosses the Deerfield connecting Shelburne/Conway. Then, take your first left onto Reeds Bridge into Conway center. Be careful of the bears.

51*

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS and Euro look absolutely beautiful for Columbus Day weekend. Wall to wall sun and back to above normal temps. 80s make a return?

Yes ...indeed, commented on this yesterday in my weekly ignored post...

I also haven't noticed anyone paying any attention to the next 4 days worth of events but this is pretty spectacular - Areas of NF could very well be afflicted by a TC 24-30 hours out and just another 36 hours later those same areas could be whacked by the season's first coastal N/A stem-wound cold core bomb with blue snow.

That is some pretty fantastic Meteorology there. It may not be exact geographically, but very close! Imagine getting a TC then a snow storm within 3 days of one another...? wow.

I also haven't noticed anyone paying any attention to the next 4 days worth of events but this is pretty spectacular - Areas of NF could very well be afflicted by a TC 24-30 hours out and just another 36 hours later those same areas could be whacked by the season's first coastal N/A stem-wound cold core bomb with blue snow.

That is some pretty fantastic Meteorology there. It may not be exact geographically, but very close! Imagine getting a TC then a snow storm within 3 days of one another...? wow.

LOL--good one, TIp!

Keep the TC--just send in thte snow.

WOuld you like us to bow down and kiss the laptop when you make posts?

LOL lots of posts are read from you and everyone else, but I don't expect a return post each time either.

Funny you mention that..because I was just looking at that area looping the euro and thought the same thing. That's incredible.

LOL lots of posts are read from you and everyone else, but I don't expect a return post each time either.

Funny you mention that..because I was just looking at that area looping the euro and thought the same thing. That's incredible.

I wasn't serious ...but leave it to Kevin to read into that ...and cold miser too.

Anyway, has anything like that ever happened closer to our latitude? Seems it's possible like later in October... There are plenty of historical references made to October gales that were clearly tropical in nature, but I don't recall any where there were back to back events within 36 hours where tropics and winter french kissed like that.

BTW it appears the euro op will completely mutilate the GFS from last week with this next cold shot during mid week. GFS at one point had 564 thicknesses across SNE when the euro had something like 546 thicknesses.

EC for the win. Setting the table for some winter coups?

Edit: Kevin--up to 53*.

I can't believe this rain is keeping up. Radar is so light. Living on the cusp of box and een radar at it's best

It drops at 2:10 in the PM up there? Man it really is a special place

Actually--it never warms up. :)

We'll see if it happen, Kevin.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

You know what, I just looked and saw that solar noon occurs at 12:49 today. Granted heating will continue beyond that, but I think you might be delayed on when you think the plateau/drop off may take place.

53*

I wasn't serious ...but leave it to Kevin to read into that ...and cold miser too.

Anyway, has anything like that ever happened closer to our latitude? Seems it's possible like later in October... There are plenty of historical references made to October gales that were clearly tropical in nature, but I don't recall any where there were back to back events within 36 hours where tropics and winter french kissed like that.

Haven't there been hurricanes that brought NE snow on the backside? Original Snowicane from 1804

"In New Haven, Connecticut, a total rainfall accumulation of 3.66 inches (93 mm) was reported.[5] After the storm became extratropical, Litchfield reported 3 inches (76 mm) of snow, while Goshen reported one foot (305 mm). Rhode Island experienced stronger winds than ever remembered in Providence.[5]

In Massachusetts, 5-14 inches (127–356 mm) of snow was the average snowfall from the gale. But the Berkshires of Massachusetts reported two to three feet (610–910 mm) of snow. In Salem, 7 inches (178 mm) of rain was reported, more than ever before in a 24-hour period.[5] The Gale of October 1804 was the worst tropical cyclone to affect Salem;[5] it is not known if that record has been lost. The roof of the South Church in Danvers was lost. In Peabody, over 30,000 unfinished bricks were ruined. Many buildings in Boston were destroyed, and one person died because of fallen roofs. Several ships in Boston's harbor were wrecked, causing loss of life.[6]"

Pete was posting totals back then I guess

Haven't there been hurricanes that brought NE snow on the backside? Original Snowicane from 1804

"In New Haven, Connecticut, a total rainfall accumulation of 3.66 inches (93 mm) was reported.[5] After the storm became extratropical, Litchfield reported 3 inches (76 mm) of snow, while Goshen reported one foot (305 mm). Rhode Island experienced stronger winds than ever remembered in Providence.[5]

In Massachusetts, 5-14 inches (127–356 mm) of snow was the average snowfall from the gale. But the Berkshires of Massachusetts reported two to three feet (610–910 mm) of snow. In Salem, 7 inches (178 mm) of rain was reported, more than ever before in a 24-hour period.[5] The Gale of October 1804 was the worst tropical cyclone to affect Salem;[5] it is not known if that record has been lost. The roof of the South Church in Danvers was lost. In Peabody, over 30,000 unfinished bricks were ruined. Many buildings in Boston were destroyed, and one person died because of fallen roofs. Several ships in Boston's harbor were wrecked, causing loss of life.[6]"

Yeah ....i'm not completely unfamiliar with these annals, and they are fascinating to consider; but were they really tropical systems? How to do reanalysis on those -

I always enjoy your posts. Now I don't respond if I haven't got something coherent to add in response. LOL Sometimes it can be over my non-met trained head.....

November 17th, 1980 has been brought up numerous times on these BB's The former Carribean/southern Gulf cane - remnants of which morphed into an extra trop. Noreaster and gave inland areas a large dump of snow - a foot in ENY.

28 degrees now in Snowshoe, WV. 32 in Canaan Valley where I was last April in that early month snow event. That is truly "GC south". :snowman: Canaan Valley is at like 3500 feet at the base lodge/hotel.....

November 17th, 1980 has been brought up numerous times on these BB's The former Carribean/southern Gulf cane - remnants of which morphed into an extra trop. Noreaster and gave inland areas a large dump of snow - a foot in ENY.

Archived