12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October Banter/ Disco

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, frankly, you have no data from Mike's specific locale. Having lived here most of my life I know how highly variable temps can be from one side of a hill to the other. Now, of course I will defer to you on this as it is your area of expertise. However, I think it is clear that Kevin lost on this one but if you want to champion your pals inaccurate assertion that's your business. Knowing MPM personally, I have no reason to doubt him. As far as the accuracy of the Jetta thermo, I have often wondered how accurate it is. I have pulled over at the 1900' Peru site (I am there typically twice a day) and checked the current Wunderground temp on my smart phone against the Jetta and Tundra's thermo and they have always been dead on. Does this mean the thermos are deadly accurate?No. But certainly not as far off as you seem to imply.

Every max temp in the area of 1500'+ was around that 55F mark. The ~1000ft stations were in that 57-58F range. The lower elevations in the area were ~60F. AFN at a little over 1k was 57F. ORE at 554ft was 61F. Shutesbury at ~1150ft was 58F.

I had a car with a thermo up until a couple years ago and generally it ran a little too warm ...not too cold. Maybe the heat of the vehicle contaminated it.

Well, frankly, you have no data from Mike's specific locale. Having lived here most of my life I know how highly variable temps can be from one side of a hill to the other. Now, of course I will defer to you on this as it is your area of expertise. However, I think it is clear that Kevin lost on this one but if you want to champion your pals inaccurate assertion that's your business. Knowing MPM personally, I have no reason to doubt him. As far as the accuracy of the Jetta thermo, I have often wondered how accurate it is. I have pulled over at the 1900' Peru site (I am there typically twice a day) and checked the current Wunderground temp on my smart phone against the Jetta and Tundra's thermo and they have always been dead on. Does this mean the thermos are deadly accurate?No. But certainly not as far off as you seem to imply.

Really, you were there? I was just a few miles south at the Hilltown Fall Festival in Conway through 2:30 or so and it was low clouds,sheet drizzle and raw. The thermo in the Jetta said 56 when we left for Northhampton. You guys are just displaying a clear bias against those of us that live in GC. There is plenty of land, you guys could always move here you know. Well, that is, if you pass the community vetting process.

I've got your back on this one. Sheet drizzle and steady light rain here all day. Picked up another 1/8" of rain.

Went to Garlic and Arts up in the hills of Orange/New Salem. Cool and overcast but less rain and blissed out hippies young and old enjoying the day.

Car temp was 54 when we got there.

Well considering it's best out of 5..I'd be curious to see how that would play out

Those of us over 40 probably (should) remember when the pennant was a 5 game series.

I think the weather has worked out better for the Tigers than Yankees. Verlander gets to start at home because of the game 1 delay and it rained during both the Yankees rallies today.

But they lost their chance to use Verlander twice and I personally think he is a pitching better than Sabathia right now.

My baseball memory goes back to the Yanks/Royals 5 game playoff series of 1976-78. :) and the Royals eventual revenge in 1980.

Those of us over 40 probably (should) remember when the pennant was a 5 game series.

I think the weather has worked out better for the Tigers than Yankees. Verlander gets to start at home because of the game 1 delay and it rained during both the Yankees rallies today.

But they lost their chance to use Verlander twice and I personally think he is a pitching better than Sabathia right now.

My baseball memory goes back to the Yanks/Royals 5 game playoff series of 1976-78. :) and the Royals eventual revenge in 1980.

Lol that's the first series I watched as a kid that was a non Red Sox affair. I remember the thrill of the 1975 Boston - Oakland series which the Sox swept in 3 games and then came the World Series where at age 9 I experienced my first of many Red Sox heartaches.

Lol that's the first series I watched as a kid that was a non Red Sox affair. I remember the thrill of the 1975 Boston - Oakland series which the Sox swept in 3 games and then came the World Series where at age 9 I experienced my first of many Red Sox heartaches.

I have some memory of '75, asking my parents why people on tv were celebrating if the Sox lost (showing Cincy)

Really bad memories of 1978

I have some vague memories of those A's series, but my family were Mets fans and I didn't really get pro baseball yet. I recall the Mets losing in '73 and the family watching it as I played doing something or other..... It wasn't until 1976 that I embraced the Yankees and actually followed baseball. The Mets were horrible at that point and why root for a loser. :)

We always have had a strange minority (best guess 10 or 15%) in the HV and CD that are Boston sports fans..... For many years the cable systems carried one BOS channel...38 I think for them. That was before regional sports cable nets.

I have some memory of '75, asking my parents why people on tv were celebrating if the Sox lost (showing Cincy)

Really bad memories of 1978

Just found out my folks bought a place on Lake Winnipesaukee in Center Harbor on the northwest part of the lake. Should be a nice getaway during this gradient winter...I'm pumped.

fixed

There is nothing like a nice snowstorm in the lakes region of NH

I specialize in QC...I consult in that work, even overseas. I do this all the time.

I don't need anecdotel evidence when people dispute me. I use real data when doing it and a knowledge of the atmosphere at the time of the data in question. Saying that 1060 feet just ENE of Peru at 2000 feet (who had a high of 55F) in a relatively uniform atmosphere is a very easy call. Maybe they hit 57F...that is not horribly far off, but using an inferior thermometer reading from a volkswagon jetta or anecdotel evidence is worth nearly nothing to me. Saying they had the same reading as a place not far at 2k in this atmosphere setup is an easy cross-off.

I do not mean to be harsh, but every time someone wants to dispute QC with me, I will ask for real data that is actually worth something.

One of my first duties at WSI before forecasting was to QC data overseas. The errors I encountered were downright gross at times.

Why four weeks?2009 ring a bell?

Yeah- I remember it very well. I was working on a Bio project and a 1 hour project took me 4 hours because I was constantly refreshing eastern because of the half inch of snow we got. :lol:

But I just think the first or second week of November is where it happens the most...could be wrong on that though.

Yeah- I remember it very well. I was working on a Bio project and a 1 hour project took me 4 hours because I was constantly refreshing eastern because of the half inch of snow we got. :lol:

But I just think the first or second week of November is where it happens the most...could be wrong on that though.

Yeah, early mid Nov seems more realistic... Will probably has the avg first flakes forxevery ASOS memorized

I got 2 events in Oct 2009, the 16th and 18th. 2" out of one

Archived