Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
I have an idea - let's start a new talking points thread

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colder than I expected but definitely nailed the idea of not much snow by the 15th. Even ORH might not have 1" which will be a shocker.

Snow is tough to predict.. and 6" vs 1" is not very close. Temps are much easier to predict and I think it was pretty obvious the month would start off cold.. basically what everyone but you was saying. Take the tube socks off and feel the cold

Snow is tough to predict.. and 6" vs 1" is not very close. Temps are much easier to predict and I think it was pretty obvious the month would start off cold.. basically what everyone but you was saying. Take the tube socks off and feel the cold

Yeah it's hard to predict snowfall...I just guessed based on the fact we might see a cutter with the Pacific looking like that and blocking slipping east.

I thought it was going to be slightly cold but this chill has definitely been exceptional. I went with around -1.5F or -2F for December in my winter forecast and it's going to be too warm barring a major pattern change.

That 1" or less part of your thread is becoming more relevant.

I don't think it is overly negative to note that the theme of these threads is continually one of chances 7-10 or more days away. It's just not good.

Yup, people set themselves up for disappointment getting excited about a modeled storm that is over week out.

However, that's what happens when there has not been significant snow in SNE in 10 months - you look for any oasis in the desert even if it's most likely an illusion.

Maybe this afternoon, definitely tomorrow morning. I'm heading down to the beaver pond with the chisel in a little while. Visually looks to be close to 3" black ice already.

I find the transparency of it disconcerting. I try to discern how far below the surface the bottom is. Not so easy to do sometimes. I don't use a chisel......I take the walk out with much trepidatoin approach.

I work on the assumption that it's not too deep and that I'm quick as a deer as soon as it starts to give way. lol.

Typically if the ice fails you just post hole through. If you do get a warning the quick movement to escape often causes you to punch through. Have Fun!!!

Strictly a guess but 1 out of 4? I'm sure Will could tell us.

This doesn't really answer your question, but Will did say this this morning ...

We really need to get some snow in here. I guess the "spoiled" 2000s of December are getting to me too. But even as good as December has been recently, the 2000s still had climo for White Christmas...6/10 years compared to 67% climo. But almost every year save 2006 had big snow on the ground at some point prior to Xmas to get the holiday spirit going. So this year is going long without white ground before Christmas.

Thank god it's cold though so all of you with your below normal temperature fetish can ensure the bare ground stays extra frozen

it's good though...will only take one of those many s/w ripping through the flow to amp a bit to really get something interesting. i actually like the look of that gfs run. who knows if it's right, but i'd take it.

Archived