Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
I have an idea - let's start a new talking points thread

Typhoon Tip

Some Monday..bigger threat Thursday

I agree with that....I have been thinking that later next week will bring a threat...we just have to get this misery out of the way on Sunday. HPC says the pattern supports cool and above normal precip through the medium range. I think we get snow Thursday or Friday. Probably another cutter at some point once the NAO relaxes, then a plunge back with more chances the following week.

As we saw last year and as Don Sutherland so sagely predicted, -NAO and -AO departures of the magnitude we are seeing will return. Hopefully for us the set up will be better when they do.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think both him and I are interested in each other, and excited too. It's too early in the relationship and too complicated of a pattern since we're both married, but my hope is to get things worked out in 5-6 days . It is within the realm of possibilities, that we are living together by the end of the month however.

I guess congrats are in order? :unsure:

69 78 93 87 83 I will play those numbers anyday

I'm unsure about '78 on that list - both the super bomb in Cleveland in Jan of that year, and the Feb monter along the SNE Coast were both delta(NAO) events.

Create a list of all snow events greater than 4 inches and you will find that more than 60% are delta(teleconnector) events, whether related to large scale synoptic reorganizaiton from the PNA or NAO while they are in modality, not mode.

You can't really fight the reality of this - honestly, not to be adversarial here in any way, but the logic is not there.

NICE - the 12z NAM is hitting the PV phase much harder. Makes sense because this thing came off the Pac stronger than previous guidance, and this stronger systme causes less resistence in the geopotential medium S of the PV and down comes a chunk of it!

This has implications that are interesting immediately beyond (D 4' ...ish onward) as the NAO comes smartly into suppressive might on W orientation, and pins a whopper of a M and UA vortex over or S of our latitude. That Norlun idea on the 00z ECM might just have some merit.

NICE - the 12z NAM is hitting the PV phase much harder. Makes sense because this thing came off the Pac stronger than previous guidance, and this stronger systme causes less resistence in the geopotential medium S of the PV and down comes a chunk of it!

This has implications that are interesting immediately beyond (D 4' ...ish onward) as the NAO comes smartly into suppressive might on W orientation, and pins a whopper of a M and UA vortex over or S of our latitude. That Norlun idea on the 00z ECM might just have some merit.

Is there a propensity for Norluns to take aim at areas from the north shore through coastal ME or was that just the trajectory I'd hope for when I was living in coastal ME? Hopefully it's the latter so I can hope to get some of that here. Suspect it's the former though.

I think both him and I are interested in it, but not excited yet. It's too early and too complicated of a pattern to get the hopes up being 5-6 days out. It is in the realm of possibilities, however.

yeah it's by no means a lock. a few wobbles here and there will make a huge difference. hopefully we can get it to set-up right and we can get some snows to rotate down this way.

i'd almost feel better with an inverted trough scenario than an actual retrograde

Ginx, fantastic product!

thx for that...

I also reviewed 02-03-1978 through 02-08-1978, and the earlier historic event of that year from 01-23-1978 through 01-03-1978: Both exquisitely show a west based NAO differentiating (-delta(NAO)) as they were forming. You can see this as an impressive deep layer block blossoming in central/eastern Canada at the time the PV was subsequently then forced S to phase with the southern stream in both cases.

These just a couple of good educational examples that beautifully elucidate the delat(teleconnector) correlation with larger events.

Archived