northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
September 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about a bass ackwards pattern we're in. I honestly cannot remember ever seeing a tropical system make landfall in the deep south, move north into the mid-Atlantic/northeast, and then backtrack westward into the Midwest. Hopefully someone will post a 5-7 day satellite animation of this at some point. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm about ready to get back to a more "normal" west to east flow lol.

The Sept 7-10th rainfall total thru 8am Sept 10th has been 2.11" imby. Not a soaking just a steady light rain more or less, a few heavy bursts and a few breaks. While im not so much a fan of the rain, the constant gloomy overcast is not depressing but rather exciting, as it means that summer is OVER and autumn, much like playoff baseball, is making its way into MI!

Talk about a bass ackwards pattern we're in. I honestly cannot remember ever seeing a tropical system make landfall in the deep south, move north into the mid-Atlantic/northeast, and then backtrack westward into the Midwest. Hopefully someone will post a 5-7 day satellite animation of this at some point. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm about ready to get back to a more "normal" west to east flow lol.

I found some that retrograded but arguable how many have retrograded to this extent.

I disagree. After that b!tch of a summer, I like the cool temperatures that this pattern is bringing.

I have seen the 2008 analog thrown around quite a few times, as the closest resemblance to this year's upcoming winter. BUT, my question is, 2008 did NOT have that active of a hurricane season besides Ike, which struck texas am i right? Or am i forgetting couple key storms?

EDIT- I should of said, impacts of the united states, i know 08 was the 4th most active hurrican season recorded.

I have seen the 2008 analog thrown around quite a few times, as the closest resemblance to this year's upcoming winter. BUT, my question is, 2008 did NOT have that active of a hurricane season besides Ike, which struck texas am i right? Or am i forgetting couple key storms?

EDIT- I should of said, impacts of the united states, i know 08 was the 4th most active hurrican season recorded.

Dolly, Gustav, and Ike all hit the U.S. as hurricanes in 2008. There were also 3 tropical storms that made landfall in the U.S. that year.

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/at2008.asp

this pattern is super boring, geez. gimme a winter storm to track.

I don't find this boring at all. There have been significant timing differences/amplitude differences regarding the first low amplitude wave ahead of the second arctic plunge. It has been quite a forecast challenge. If you want to forecast someday, it won't always be big monster storms. Even these "small" events can create major forecast challenges. That said, I don't think this is boring!

post-999-0-17140700-1315714596.png

post-999-0-96859700-1315714597.png

I agree with T-snow. This pattern is pretty damn boring lol. Of course we've all been spoiled with some very interesting events/weather patterns the last year or so. Definitely can't always have something exciting to track, which only makes the good ones that much more interesting/exciting to track. I usually try to take advantage of the quiet weather to get the crap done that I blew off during the previous active weather pattern lol. :guitar:

:offtopic:....Miss chatting here with everyone just been busy.... everybody knows a web cam pic DOESN'T DO JUSTICE...but that being said....if interested check the Alaska/Western Canada discussion....I had an event not expected here....a well developed wedge COLD AIR FUNNEL cloud developed yesterday....the web cam loop only caught the developing wall cloud before my shift ended, but it did develop into a funnel (web cam has about a 15 min lag).

:offtopic:....Miss chatting here with everyone just been busy.... everybody knows a web cam pic DOESN'T DO JUSTICE...but that being said....if interested check the Alaska/Western Canada discussion....I had an event not expected here....a well developed wedge COLD AIR FUNNEL cloud developed yesterday....the web cam loop only caught the developing wall cloud before my shift ended, but it did develop into a funnel (web cam has about a 15 min lag).

Patrick, I miss you posting over here. I'll have to check out the Alaska discussion from time to time. A WEDGE cold air funnel? I've never head of one of those. I've seen a few in my time and they are mostly ropes.

Archived