• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
September 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

Welcome to Hogtown! Sorry about the crappy winter in advance. Which school?

Seneca college. I was born and raised in the big smoke, so I'm all geared up for the crap winters. I'll have to go and visit some friends in Ottawa in mid winter just to get a taste of what the season is all about. You never know though, maybe we'll get a 93-94 or 44-45 type winter.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seneca college. I was born and raised in the big smoke, so I'm all geared up for the crap winters. I'll have to go and visit some friends in Ottawa in mid winter just to get a taste of what the season is all about. You never know though, maybe we'll get a 93-94 or 44-45 type winter.

Nice. Good luck with your studies. I actually think 2011-12 is going to be a good winter by Toronto standards. It'll be crap in comparison to what you're used to up there in Ottawa though.

Nice. Good luck with your studies. I actually think 2011-12 is going to be a good winter by Toronto standards. It'll be crap in comparison to what you're used to up there in Ottawa though.

Well, look on the bright side. We get better winters than Windsor.

This would be the ideal December:

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=ON&StationID=5052&dlyRange=1895-11-01|1968-01-31&Year=1944&Month=12&Day=1

Well, look on the bright side. We get better winters than Windsor.

This would be the ideal December:

http://www.climate.w...&Month=12&Day=1

lol, Windsor has been kicking our butts the last 10 years. Winters like 2004-05 and 2009-10 stick out to me, but there are others.

And thanks for the link. What do you think? Once in 50 year type storm? We're due! :)

lol, Windsor has been kicking our butts the last 10 years. Winters like 2004-05 and 2009-10 stick out to me, but there are others.

And thanks for the link. What do you think? Once in 50 year type storm? We're due! :)

here's hoping! There have been some indications from some on this board that we could be in for a cold january.

As someone who lives an hour away from Windsor, I resent this. >:[

Don't Toronto and Windsor receive nearly identical snowfall totals during the winter?

Technically, using the 1971-2000 data for each cities respective airport, Windsor averages almost 11cm more than Toronto (126 vs. 115). But that's a little deceiving because Pearson's snowfall data is woefully inaccurate. Toronto (EC HQ) and Toronto (Downtown) both average about 133cm, which is closer to reality.

Technically, using the 1971-2000 data for each cities respective airport, Windsor averages almost 11cm more than Toronto (126 vs. 115). But that's a little deceiving because Pearson's snowfall data is woefully inaccurate. Toronto (EC HQ) and Toronto (Downtown) both average about 133cm, which is closer to reality.

Honestly, Markham Buttonville is a much better indicator of the region's snow depth and snowfall stats.

Toronto is colder than Windsor though.

Honestly, Markham Buttonville is a much better indicator of the region's snow depth and snowfall stats.

Toronto is colder than Windsor though.

You think? No official average climo data exists for Buttonville because it's a relatively new station, but based on some of the raw snowfall data it seems they average close to 150cm/60". That's a little high I think to be represenative of Toronto proper. For instance, in the 12 years I've done IMBY measurements here in Etobicoke, only 4 (33.3%) averaged 150cm/60" or more.

Need something to kick that low pressure east. Have a golf tourney this weekend.

Your Shat out of luck on that...This puck of a low will retrograde into the Miss Valley and cut-off even more..Plenty of showers and plain rain until Sat night...

:cry:

Whats even more of shame is taking a peak at vis satellite..Nice weather to our North and West...Jesus by the time we clear out and briefly warm early next week it appears that a decent cold front will push south and tank our temps with plenty of Lake Stratus.

Its been a while since we have seen such garbage weather..Like since May. Not used to it yet and its not like you can go outside and enjoy the cool Fall temps..Hoping for an awesome chilly and beautiful October.

Nate looks like it could be something of interest, depending on the timing. 12z GFS seems to slow its progression northward enough that it misses being shunted east by our backdoor coldfront early next week. This scenario might allow it to move northward into the MS/TN/OV sometime after D7.

Model solutions keep flip flopping. Last few runs of the Euro have taken it into Mexico. This is a favorable time of year climatologically speaking...lots of remnant storms have passed through the area during the month of September.

Model solutions keep flip flopping. Last few runs of the Euro have taken it into Mexico. This is a favorable time of year climatologically speaking...lots of remnant storms have passed through the area during the month of September.

12z GEM does the same. In fact, on the new EURO, I don't think I even see a reflection on the sfc/h5 maps beyond 120 hours. Seems to dissipate Nate pretty quickly over the mountainous terrain of Mexico.

In other news: Per the GFS and EURO, the 540 thickness line is going to be paying some of us a vist late next week for the first time this season. :)

Archived