12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
lrene's Heavy Rain Impacts in PHL 8/29 - 8/31

ptb127

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know many want a hit but I'd rather see this east shift continue.

Hate to see tons of damage to homes / businesses / beaches.

I couldn't agree more. A TC with wind and rain would be fun. But NOT a Cat 2 hurricane. Let the eastward trend continue.

With all the "too far east" talk this AM - I think it will be interesting to see the interaction of the front passing through Thursday and drawing (as was suggested yesterday) moisture up this way well in advance of Irene on Friday or Saturday. Are we making this a non-event in our minds when in reality the rain could be very significant in the Delaware valley even if the center shoots off to the east further than was showing yesterday. I'm a weenie so maybe some professional input would clarify this a bit.

With all the "too far east" talk this AM - I think it will be interesting to see the interaction of the front passing through Thursday and drawing (as was suggested yesterday) moisture up this way well in advance of Irene on Friday or Saturday. Are we making this a non-event in our minds when in reality the rain could be very significant in the Delaware valley even if the center shoots off to the east further than was showing yesterday. I'm a weenie so maybe some professional input would clarify this a bit.

I agree with this statement. It is the drawing up of moisture from the storm that concerns me not the storm itself. Wrap around moisture on this storm could be just as bad- especially training thunderstorms.

You guys getting ready? We've got 2 pumps coming from the County just in case this rocks us. We're not gonna get caught with our pants down again with the lakes/river, like happened with the last storm.

To be honest, not sure what the plan is. Us, career staff, don't work the weekends. Thats left for the volunteers relief workers. 2 guys in 5 stations working... And I'm sure guys will come down. But us as "career" ff's, prob won't get involved unless something drastic changes within the track itself. I'm sure you guys still have the pumps and boats running still! Lol.

The qpf gradient on the 12z gf's is insane. There looks o be strong subsidence between Philly to Harrisburg. Seems like that's where the cut off will be. So while harrisburg gets maybe an inch, Philly gets 2-4, and you guys get slammed with 10"+.... so that 50-75 mile swath is gonna be the battle zone. Any shift east or west will affect more or less people.

Sorry for the late response. I'm down in sea isle till sat am on vaca. I head home sat noon, get my car and debate where to head. I am probably gonna chase this thing., just debating where.

To be honest, not sure what the plan is. Us, career staff, don't work the weekends. Thats left for the volunteers relief workers. 2 guys in 5 stations working... And I'm sure guys will come down. But us as "career" ff's, prob won't get involved unless something drastic changes within the track itself. I'm sure you guys still have the pumps and boats running still! Lol.

The qpf gradient on the 12z gf's is insane. There looks o be strong subsidence between Philly to Harrisburg. Seems like that's where the cut off will be. So while harrisburg gets maybe an inch, Philly gets 2-4, and you guys get slammed with 10"+.... so that 50-75 mile swath is gonna be the battle zone. Any shift east or west will affect more or less people.

Sorry for the late response. I'm down in sea isle till sat am on vaca. I head home sat noon, get my car and debate where to head. I am probably gonna chase this thing., just debating where.

Just woke up, short but sweet, looks like the east trend has slowed or stopped? TWC takes it 50-100 miles off the coast, but still close enough to rock us down here. Still plenty of time for this thing to come west some. With this system being so big, any west shift is huge. And both me and my Dad are gonna be ridiculously busy. He with the electric company, and me with the FD. If you want, gimme a heads up of where you're gonna go, if you come down to the shore, maybe I'll meet up with ya. In between the pager going off I'm gonna head down somewhere and get some footage.

From the main model thread, a note about the 12z GFS

Before you guys get too sucked into the ECWMF... I want to point out the positive changes for a leftward pathway that appeared on the 12z GFS. For the second run in a row the 12z GFS remained pretty flat with the kicker shortwave, and made it even slightly less progressive. thegreatdr also brought up some great points about the leading shortwave (the one located northward of Newfoundland). If this feature trends too strong or too far south, it could flatten the 500mb ridge to the point that it allows for a more eastward progression of Irene. It seems that what happened on the 12z run was that these two shortwaves were counteracting each other in regards to the motion of Irene. The upstream shortwave less progressive, so its not trying to force Irene out too early. In addition while the downstream shortwave is stronger, its actually displaced further north than the previous runs, hence we have a stronger ridge. The 12z GFS is a positive run for an east coast landfall.

13z9xg8.gif

euro is back to the 12z postion yesterday afternoon...its big winds and 5-9 inches of rain, heaviest from west chest er to dingmans ferry to allentown nj to millville...right along the del river is 8-9 inchjes of rain....it comes into cape may sub 970 easily, cant see the isobars they are so clustered.

For the same reasons many want major blizzards with 50 mph winds and sub-zero wind chills in winter. It's weather, we're all weenies, and it's exciting.

I totally agree and I think he gets that, but this becomes a "be careful what you wish for" type scenario. Personally, I don't want my two year old daughter and wife who is 8 months pregnant to have to go through any hardships that Irene may bring...

I'd be lying if I didn't say that the weenie in me though wants to stand on the beach with arms outstretched...:devilsmiley:

euro is back to the 12z postion yesterday afternoon...its big winds and 5-9 inches of rain, heaviest from west chest er to dingmans ferry to allentown nj to millville...right along the del river is 8-9 inchjes of rain....it comes into cape may sub 970 easily, cant see the isobars they are so clustered.

reportedly 956 into Cape May for landfall. I can't see Cape May surviving such a hit. Let's hope it's low tide.

Archived