joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
lrene's Heavy Rain Impacts in PHL 8/29 - 8/31

ptb127

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My goodness. I need to head to OCNJ beach house this weekend :lmao: If the 12Z position is correct (IF) then Jersey shore see the full brunt of a cat 2-3 hurricane as the eye wall passes along the entire coast line.

My friend and I are headed down to Sea Isle City on Saturday night. This is going to be absolutely crazy. Good to see the 12z GFS come west!

I'm wondering if Mount Holly's thinking of putting out an SPS either today or tomorrow. Yeah, it's still early in the game...but the consequences of a direct hit could be disastrous on many fronts. Flooding, Coastal Flooding, and possibly wind as well.

I think there was a NWS decision to restrict SPS's to 6 hours or less in advance of the anticipated weather, and use the HWO for long-range hazards. In fact the HWO has mentioned possible Irene impacts since yesterday.

Somebody let me know if I'm wrong on this, as I've wondered about it myself.

I think there was a NWS decision to restrict SPS's to 6 hours or less in advance of the anticipated weather, and use the HWO for long-range hazards. In fact the HWO has mentioned possible Irene impacts since yesterday.

Somebody let me know if I'm wrong on this, as I've wondered about it myself.

The time frame for SPS issuances regarding outlooks has been extended to 12 hours now. Otherwise, the correct place is in the HWO which is where we are currently mentioning Irene.

The time frame for SPS issuances regarding outlooks has been extended to 12 hours now. Otherwise, the correct place is in the HWO which is where we are currently mentioning Irene.

I coulda swore there was a SPS days beforehand when the superstorm struck in 93'. no ?

This is pretty much in that territory in terms of overall chaos. (if it doesn't go out to sea)

I coulda swore there was a SPS days beforehand when the superstorm struck in 93'. no ?

This is pretty much in that territory in terms of overall chaos. (if it doesn't go out to sea)

There is also the Briefing Package from the NWS. This is yesterday's. An updated one should be out later today.

Briefing Package

The current SPS policy did not exist back in '93, so yes there probably was an SPS issued days before the superstorm.

The HWO is an outlook product for potential hazardous weather, therefore potential impacts like from a hurricane this far out belongs in the HWO and that is where we have it (also mentioned in the AFD, and posting briefing packages on our web site).

There is also the Briefing Package from the NWS. This is yesterday's. An updated one should be out later today.

Briefing Package

The current SPS policy did not exist back in '93, so yes there probably was an SPS issued days before the superstorm.

The HWO is an outlook product for potential hazardous weather, therefore potential impacts like from a hurricane this far out belongs in the HWO and that is where we have it (also mentioned in the AFD, and posting briefing packages on our web site).

Regardless, and whatever it's called these days.. I feel like the public needs to know.

Back in '93 when the internet was barely established...It was all TWC and seeing the red SPS scrolling along the bottom of the TV that woke everyone up days beforehand. It sounds like we've done away with these basics.

Regardless, and whatever it's called these days.. I feel like the public needs to know.

Back in '93 when the internet was barely established...It was all TWC and seeing the red SPS scrolling along the bottom of the TV that woke everyone up days beforehand. It sounds like we've done away with these basics.

I am sure the public is and will know about this as the media is talking about it. It will likely get more attention as the week continues.

Does anyone know if the GDFL is the model for forecasting intensity?

On post # 272 of the model discussion on the main forum (), a GDFL intensity map shows max winds in northern DE of about 70-80 kts (80-92 mph).

I was surprised to see that a model thinks that the winds could still be so intense. I had expected that it would be severely downgraded after LF. Does anyone know if this is realistic (still Cat 1 long after LF)?

If it's within the realm of possibilities, I'll have to rethink my lame contingency plan...

Does anyone know if the GDFL is the model for forecasting intensity?

On post # 272 of the model discussion on the main forum (http://www.americanw...n/page__st__260), a GDFL intensity map shows max winds in northern DE of about 70-80 kts (80-92 mph).

I was surprised to see that a model thinks that the winds could still be so intense. I had expected that it would be severely downgraded after LF. Does anyone know if this is realistic (still Cat 1 long after LF)?

If it's within the realm of possibilities, I'll have to rethink my lame contingency plan...

that seems correct, because its not going into nc like towards raliegh, its going through the outer banks and over norfolk and ches bay...it will weaken but no to the rate if it just plowed due west inland

even if you take the gfs 12z solution, phl has sustained winds 35-40 with higher gusts.. acy is sustained 45-50 higher gust

Yeah, Philly to NJ shore may have a rough ride. And rains further inland could be a major issue, atleast into the Delaware Valley.

Honestly, I'm more concermed about my family on Long Island. I could end up there this weekend if I find it worth the drive. :bike:

imho, i think this thing misses us to the point we get some rain but not much. I think e li and sne are under the gun.The models are continuing to pick up on the trough being deeper. This will only escape so far east though do to the expanding ridge in the atl. Its just rare to see the track the euro shows from a storm that scrapes the banks then bends nnw into our region. Climo would favor a bend ots or over ack, we shall see.

Archived