joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
lrene's Heavy Rain Impacts in PHL 8/29 - 8/31

ptb127

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More evidence that demands a verdict.. remnants of tropical system dumps widespread 5"+ over already drenched areas. Could lead to historic flooding concerns if it verified

http://www.nco.ncep....fs_p60_252m.gif

Sounds plausible -- Just remember 1903 and 1955 for comparisons. Same setup- extreme record heat, heavy rain for days not related to tropical systems and then a tropical system for August- September. Setup for a severe cold winter looking pretty good right now.

Sounds plausible -- Just remember 1903 and 1955 for comparisons. Same setup- extreme record heat, heavy rain for days not related to tropical systems and then a tropical system for August- September. Setup for a severe cold winter looking pretty good right now.

not arguing thats going to be right or wrong, but the latest cfs forecast for winter normal temp wise, but def a presence of a se ridge, but that can change and probably/hopefully will. It also develops a mod la nina.

I don't want a severe cold winter.. normally that leads to suppression storm track wise. I want normal to slightly below and historic levels of snowfall..

I still think there is the small chance this gets turned slightly out to sea when it tries to come up the coast because of the cold front passing Thursday/Friday. But it looks like it may pass just in time to aid in bringing it up the coast. Could be more rainy times ahead. As long as Labor day weekend is nice!

I still think there is the small chance this gets turned slightly out to sea when it tries to come up the coast because of the cold front passing Thursday/Friday. But it looks like it may pass just in time to aid in bringing it up the coast. Could be more rainy times ahead. As long as Labor day weekend is nice!

The 12z GGEM at 96 has the trough over the GL slightly more amped and digging just slightly more than the GFS at the same time. GGEM's 582 contour goes through Columbus, OH whereas the GFS's goes north of Detroit. Synoptically a very small difference, especially for D4, but it means the difference between a SC LF and an OBX graze. Right now, the GGEM is the most amped of all and it still takes Irene barely E of NJ. So I think OTS is rather unlikely. Or at least, a recurve east anyway. We could still see the models trend east so much so that the actual track is over the OBX but thats different from a recurve in my book

Central PA isn't nearly as oversaturated (more variable basin-wide), but parts of NJ are at 400%+ of normal rainfall for the past 14 days. Could be nasty if enough rain falls. However, as Phil882 alludes to here, the setup isn't necessarily the same as Floyd as it lacks a shortwave/trough to interact with and instead just drifts northward.

At least I won't have to work about our lake flooding again from this one. :unsure:

It'll just be part of the Atlantic by the time we're done.

Edit: Adam, can this thread be renamed to discuss Irene's Impacts for Delaware Valley since it seems it may impact?

hopefully it does go out to sea, we dont need the rain nor crappy weekends to end summer. It has rained the last 3 weekends

18z gfs is 9-10 inches of rain from phl on east to acy

If only the surface freezing line were a thousand miles further south. :P

But seriously, here's hoping the places that have already dealt with flooding issues don't get near that much rain. In fact, hopefully nobody anywhere in the area gets even half that much.

0z GFS back to it's more consistent 12z and 6z runs, with more rain to the west of the track with it tracking over I-95.. still though a 4-5" dumping of rain over a widespread area that definitely doesn't need it.. and that's assuming the strength depicted here is correct. If the storm is a cat 3 at landfall then it will be much heavier rainfall totals.

0z GFS back to it's more consistent 12z and 6z runs, with more rain to the west of the track with it tracking over I-95.. still though a 4-5" dumping of rain over a widespread area that definitely doesn't need it.. and that's assuming the strength depicted here is correct. If the storm is a cat 3 at landfall then it will be much heavier rainfall totals.

wind strength at landfall has little to do with eventual rain totals two days later. The greatest rainfall I've ever seen was a little known TS Tammy back in 2005 that entered GA, promptly dissolved, and ended up giving me ~11" in one day in the Lehigh Valley. The key for heavy rain is to get the storm to phase with a mid latitude short wave. Then, the rain will be mostly to the west of the system, like in winter storms.

Archived