joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
lrene's Heavy Rain Impacts in PHL 8/29 - 8/31

ptb127

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gusts in NC seem to be between 40-70mph. Wouldn't that mean sustained winds are probably more like 30-35. Just not seeing where there is sustained winds of 80+ mph as reported by NHC and others.

Sustained winds in a hurricane are measured (or estimated) as those occurring over open water. They are never that high over land. Frictional effects from buildings, trees, etc utterly prevents it. Average reduction in sustained winds over land as compared to water is near 30%. Thus, the highest sustained winds you would expect over land would be on the order of 60-65 mph. I think there are a few reports in that range. Also remember, the report of 85 mph maximum sustained is the *maximum*, *anywhere*. This likely won't coincide with an observing site at any given time.

I know we're in the Philly thread, but it seems like the latest NHC track is the worst case for NYC, doesnt it?

In my opinion...

In terms of wind......Long Island gets it the worst.....NYC pretty bad too.

In terms of surge, 5 boroughs looks to me in a real bad spot. Looks like heaviest rain falls west of NYC. Not good for interior NJ creeks/streams/rivers.

Glenn looks like he's getting pissed by the stupid questions people are emailing in....certainly can't blame him.

Yeah probably getting pissed about the same things people get pissed about on here......IMBY questions and his lead anchors being dumb enough to ask them.

Yeah probably getting pissed about the same things people get pissed about on here......IMBY questions and his lead anchors being dumb enough to ask them.

Exactly...one lady emailed in and asked "how high should I pile sandbags at my backdoor w/no steps" Glenn's like "WTF...how am I suppose to answer that?" He said "pile them as high as you can"...lol

Sustained winds in a hurricane are measured (or estimated) as those occurring over open water. They are never that high over land. Frictional effects from buildings, trees, etc utterly prevents it. Average reduction in sustained winds over land as compared to water is near 30%. Thus, the highest sustained winds you would expect over land would be on the order of 60-65 mph. I think there are a few reports in that range. Also remember, the report of 85 mph maximum sustained is the *maximum*, *anywhere*. This likely won't coincide with an observing site at any given time.

Got it. Thanks Ray

Any chance Irene reorganizes once back over the Gulf Stream waters? Hoping se doesn't....already doing some good damage (2 trees down) here in Town Bank :-(

Irene should maintain its current intensity fairly well considering the water temperatures support a category 1 hurricane. Also, two trees down with 30 mp/h gusts?

Anyone else buy a generator just for this? I'm curious who plans to run the generator in the rain. I built a little enclosure with cinderblocks and plywood on top that is open on both ends for venting (small enough to keep it dry, but long enough to let it vent. I have a battery backup sump pump, but not sure if it is going to be able to pump out the volume of water necessary.

I've always run mine in the rain. I put it under a breezeway for this as I don't relish trying to gas the

thing up in the wall of water tonight. Rain shouldn't bother it, I just wouldn't be pushing/pulling

plug in and out of it while running.

BTW, steady rain here in NW Chesco. 74.1 degrees.

Rainfall today so far is .16".

Got .23" last evening in a heavy shower as I was starting a bonfire for a party.

Thanks! That makes me feel better.

I've always run mine in the rain. I put it under a breezeway for this as I don't relish trying to gas the

thing up in the wall of water tonight. Rain shouldn't bother it, I just wouldn't be pushing/pulling

plug in and out of it while running.

BTW, steady rain here in NW Chesco. 74.1 degrees.

Rainfall today so far is .16".

Got .23" last evening in a heavy shower as I was starting a bonfire for a party.

over 750k customers without power in VA and NC between dominion and progress energy so far.

I guess if there is any good news in that its probably that most of those in Virginia and far inland NC are induced by blow transformers and downed lines, not snapped poles and uprooted poles like from an ice storm or 100+mph hurricane. So you might get restoration for some areas in a semi reasonable amount of time, by that I mean 2-3 days.

A lot of ponding already imby around the downspouts. Using tubing and other improv to direct the water away, but I am very concerned as these rains are still just the outer bands...The basement in this house has never flooded and the sump pump hasn't been running non-stop, so I think we'll be ok for a while when (if?) we lose power.

:maprain::flood:

Run the tubes through Cinderblocks at the end if you have any so they dont blow around.

Also, put a bucket and some type of container to hold water down there in case you have to manually unload the pit for a while,

A lot of ponding already imby around the downspouts. Using tubing and other improv to direct the water away, but I am very concerned as these rains are still just the outer bands...

Archived