12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
lrene's Heavy Rain Impacts in PHL 8/29 - 8/31

ptb127

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting to get a little more worried about the winds here considering the track on some of the models. I guess we will see what happens tonight. Should be a fun ride.

I had hoped the exceptionally low landfall intensity might mean I could lower my wind expectations... but alas, that seems not to be the case.

I am starting to get a little more worried about the winds here considering the track on some of the models. I guess we will see what happens tonight. Should be a fun ride.

50-60 mph gusts, which is what I've been thinking inland (TTN particularly), will still cause plenty of power outages and knock a decent number of trees and branches down.

I mostly read this forum and haven't really posted. Just curious what some of you think of the wunderground wundermap? When looking at it today, when you click on the various weather stations in areas where Irene has come ashore the wind measures are rarely anything significant. Nothing near 85mph and only a couple over 25-30mph. Are these accurate? Is there a better source of actual observations. Thanks.

This is one factoid I will not be sharing with the Mrs...

My wife just entered her 9th month yesterday, so we're on baby watch as well. I have been considering what the effects of the low pressure passing pretty much right over us will be. I have been considering it silently though, no need to get into as you say. We've got four full weeks to go, hoping to stay on or near schedule...<crosses fingers>

I mostly read this forum and haven't really posted. Just curious what some of you think of the wunderground wundermap? When looking at it today, when you click on the various weather stations in areas where Irene has come ashore the wind measures are rarely anything significant. Nothing near 85mph and only a couple over 25-30mph. Are these accurate? Is there a better source of actual observations. Thanks.

Are the observations updated? A lot of stations lose power. That being said, most gusts in NC right now are in the 70-80 mph range I think. Probably a few up to 90 but I haven't seen recent reports of that. Maybe someone else has.

Also, many home weather stations aren't properly sited for wind observations, which are *supposed* to be taken in an unobstructed area 30 feet above the ground. Many are lower... much lower... and of course suffer from the normal obstructions of suburban living areas... trees, houses, etc.

Are the observations updated? A lot of stations lose power. That being said, most gusts in NC right now are in the 70-80 mph range I think. Probably a few up to 90 but I haven't seen recent reports of that. Maybe someone else has.

Also, many home weather stations aren't properly sited for wind observations, which are *supposed* to be taken in an unobstructed area 30 feet above the ground. Many are lower... much lower... and of course suffer from the normal obstructions of suburban living areas... trees, houses, etc.

LEK posted on in the live discussion thread a map of it

richmond, va which is further away than us to proximity to irene, have 105,000 people without power already in the city...so combine that with maybe a little weaker winds but ground being saturated more, you get the picture

http://www.dom.com/s...age-summary.jsp

Between Dominion and Progress (two major power providers down there) there are about 600,000+ customers without power.

Anyone else buy a generator just for this? I'm curious who plans to run the generator in the rain. I built a little enclosure with cinderblocks and plywood on top that is open on both ends for venting (small enough to keep it dry, but long enough to let it vent. I have a battery backup sump pump, but not sure if it is going to be able to pump out the volume of water necessary.

Anyone else buy a generator just for this? I'm curious who plans to run the generator in the rain. I built a little enclosure with cinderblocks and plywood on top that is open on both ends for venting (small enough to keep it dry, but long enough to let it vent. I have a battery backup sump pump, but not sure if it is going to be able to pump out the volume of water necessary.

Yeah We got one two days ago my dad went to home depot at 530 am lol. We have it in our garage with a fan and open window to keep it circulating. After the storm last June the ice storm last winter and all the other crazy weather we finally just bought one.

I've always owned a generator. At my old house I just ran it out in the driveway.

The house i'm in now I am going to run it in the DETACHED garage. I have a subfeed going from the house to the garage so I can power the garage and some outlets in the house without having to energize the main box.

My 1/2 finished basement will flood if the sump pump loses power.

Archived