EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
lrene's Heavy Rain Impacts in PHL 8/29 - 8/31

ptb127

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really. There's still a continuing increase in land effects. That is continuing to encourage a weakening trend. I know people have quoted Danny but that wasn't even a TS before it got to the area. Big difference between that and a big hurricane.

The system could have a pressure in the 950's and be a tropical storm in terms of wind definition at this latitude. Sometimes the whole "74 mph criteria" makes it difficult because the label changes...a storm is a storm no matter how you brand it. We should just call em Cyclones like they do down under. :guitar:

From the NWS: ...BANDS OF HEAVY SHOWERS WITH STRONG WIND GUSTS WILL AFFECTKENT...CAROLINE...CECIL...SALEM...CUMBERLAND...CAMDEN...GLOUCESTER...QUEEN ANNE`S...TALBOT...SUSSEX...NEW CASTLE...CAPEMAY...OCEAN...ATLANTIC AND BURLINGTON COUNTIES...AT 123 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATEDMULTIPLE BANDS OF HEAVY SHOWERS MOVING WEST NORTHWEST THROUGHDELAWARE...MARYLANDS EASTERN SHORE INTO SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY.MANY COMMUNITIES CAN EXPECT WIND GUSTS TO 40 MPH AND BRIEFTORRENTIAL RAINS WITH BRIEF PONDING OF WATER ON ROADS.A FEW OF THE SHOWERS MAY PRODUCE GUSTS TO 50 MPH IN DELAWARE.CONDITIONS WILL GRADUALLY WORSEN THROUGH THE AFTERNOON AS IRENEMOVES CLOSER.

Do you think that is underdone?

I don't know what to think. It's already over 3 feet though, normally it's running like 1 ft. I wouldn't be surprised to see 19 ft. out of it.

Please, my good man, take as many pictures and videos as you can at as many locations as you can.

The system could have a pressure in the 950's and be a tropical storm in terms of wind definition at this latitude. Sometimes the whole "74 mph criteria" makes it difficult because the label changes...a storm is a storm no matter how you brand it. We should just call em Cyclones like they do down under. :guitar:

That was the story with Gloria, category three pressure with category one winds; regardless some places on Long Island had no power for weeks.

According to what?

here you go ray

...IRENE MOVING ACROSS EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA...SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION----------------------------------------------LOCATION...35.5N 76.3WABOUT 45 MI...70 KM WNW OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINAABOUT 95 MI...155 KM S OF NORFOLK VIRGINIAMAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/HPRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/HMINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...950 MB...28.05 INCHES

Archived