e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
lrene's Heavy Rain Impacts in PHL 8/29 - 8/31

ptb127

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is telling... in fact, I don't recall NHC actually doing this prior to a landfalling hurricane before.... from the 5AM discussion:

"THE RADAR PRESENTATION OF THE CENTER OF IRENE HAS DECREASED TO THE POINT THAT WE WILL BE REVERTING TO THREE-HOURLY INTERMEDIATE ADVISORIES."

This is telling... in fact, I don't recall NHC actually doing this prior to a landfalling hurricane before.... from the 5AM discussion:

"THE RADAR PRESENTATION OF THE CENTER OF IRENE HAS DECREASED TO THE POINT THAT WE WILL BE REVERTING TO THREE-HOURLY INTERMEDIATE ADVISORIES."

that's surprising to a point...I thought protocol was to do two hour advisories on a US hurricane landfall.

Surprised at the downplaying of this threat by some of you guys. I still looks to me that we are in for some nasty business. The fact is sustained winds around 40 mph over a prolonged period can still leave a wide swath of extended power outages, not to mention the flooding...Just saying, some might read your remarks and start to let down their guard down.

Don't say that. I just got to sea isle city. I want to experience hurricane force winds

Why would u go to a barrier island that notorious floods during a thunderstorm and not be able to get out? That's karma for u...you should know better. We're hunkered down at a friends house just off of the island which is elevated if u need a place. PM me if u need and best of luck. Be safe!

Btw, how did u get in? All access roads in have been closed since 8PM last night.

If it makes landfall in NC as a cat 1 as now seems likely... it also seems likely that there's little hope of it making it up to NJ as a hurricane. But, par for the course.

if it takes the nhc track i can see that, but right now its been track a good bit west of nhc landfall which mean if stays west of the track heavier rain further west and the winds will weaken faster...but the winds would be stronger up here towards philly area if its further west....gfs now shows this, delaware bay it comes into now

if it takes the nhc track i can see that, but right now its been track a good bit west of nhc landfall which mean if stays west of the track heavier rain further west and the winds will weaken faster...but the winds would be stronger up here towards philly area if its further west....gfs now shows this, delaware bay it comes into now

Drink your coffee, Tom... the 6Z GFS is not in Delaware Bay :lol: It goes east of the DelMarVa to LBI.

Surprised at the downplaying of this threat by some of you guys. I still looks to me that we are in for some nasty business. The fact is sustained winds around 40 mph over a prolonged period can still leave a wide swath of extended power outages, not to mention the flooding...Just saying, some might read your remarks and start to let down their guard down.

I have never, not for one second, downplayed the inland flooding aspect. However, the winds that some have been throwing around in the media are unlikely.

Drink your coffee, Tom... the 6Z GFS is not in Delaware Bay :lol: It goes east of the DelMarVa to LBI.

Correct. Both on SV maps and on wunderground. Center goes east of Cape May.

I have never, not for one second, downplayed the inland flooding aspect. However, the winds that some have been throwing around in the media are unlikely.

+1 -- the 100 mph talk on one station last night was overkill. Bodybuilder's 930 mb prediction for Hatteras was awful...like watching Howard swing and miss at a slider in the dirt.

The flooding issue has been there and probably ends up being the "big" story of this storm overall.

I am tending to agree with you on this.

Now only if we can get our radar working again.

Saw you write that this AM. Very good discussion as usual...I had my 1st cup of coffee while reading. Southland WX hit me over the head a few times with that point yesterday via email as well.

Thankfully this storm seems to be taking a turn for the best (in terms of homes West of Rte 9 in South Jersey away from Del Bay). Looks like we will dodge a major bullet here folks. Agree with posters about inland flooding, but again, models are even faster moving Irene thru. This beats all the catastrophic talk from yesterday re: cat 2 storm, 90 mph winds, 20 inches rain, etc. As a homeowner in Cape May area, this makes me extremely happy.

PHL has forecasted about 8" of rain to a location that is about 10 miles to my east while BGM has forecasted 3-4 of rain.. quite a disparity. Anyway, while this may not be the "worst" case scenario, it's still going to be a severe disaster for the entire state of NJ and NYC, RI, and CT...

Don't downplay this.. the flooding itself is going to be historic in many, many places.

Good morning all, decided not to head home to Long Island for a half-i-cane/tropical storm. Looks like she's about to make landfall. The amount of rain heading in our direction is nuts! I hope the end result is nothing like Oct. 1st, 2010.....I fear it will be, and maybe worse over a larger area.

I remain very very concerned about Cape May County and the shore points. I just purchased a home down in Sea Isle City and I expect all of the barrier islands (except Wildwood) to be covered from ocean to bay during the height of the storm. This remains a very serious situation.

Thankfully this storm seems to be taking a turn for the best (in terms of homes West of Rte 9 in South Jersey away from Del Bay). Looks like we will dodge a major bullet here folks. Agree with posters about inland flooding, but again, models are even faster moving Irene thru. This beats all the catastrophic talk from yesterday re: cat 2 storm, 90 mph winds, 20 inches rain, etc. As a homeowner in Cape May area, this makes me extremely happy.

Wxsim has storm total rain here in NW Chester County of 5.68" (this may be underdone) as it has trended up almost an inch since yesterday. This may not get to the level of Floyd (my station recorded 8.28" of rain) but it looks likely to get relatively close

The Wxsim only forecasts top wind gusts to 30mph (takes into account trees etc in my area)

Rain totals

By 7 pm 0.97"

By 10pm 1.75"

2am - 3.33"

7am - 4.92"

10a - 5.50"

2pm - 5.68"

Adding to the misery, I'd guess, is the amount of time the shore is facing a strong easterly fetch (who else remembers when we censored that word?). She's taking her sweet time getting here, so we're probably looking at a pretty impressive sea level rise relative to what you'd expect with a Cat 1 and major beach erosion.

Archived