• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
lrene's Heavy Rain Impacts in PHL 8/29 - 8/31

ptb127

reportedly 956 into Cape May for landfall. I can't see Cape May surviving such a hit. Let's hope it's low tide.

It's not low tide at all. Hell, I wanna get rocked by a decent cane, but that track is just beyond bad. Parts of this area will be gone. Just last night many were on the forums were writing this off. Way too soon.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't hang my hat on any of the global models at this point. Wouldn't it make more sense to follow the actual hurricane guidance (models) which trended a good bit East from their 0Z and 6Z runs?? Serious question.

Btw, I am living in Cape May at the moment and our home away from home until next Wednesday. Town Bank to be exact. Anyone interested in 'chasing' and needs a place to crash, inbox me.

Peace.

It's not low tide at all. Hell, I wanna get rocked by a decent cane, but that track is just beyond bad. Parts of this area will be gone. Just last night many were on the forums were writing this off. Way too soon.

Tides at cape May on Sunday (keep in mind Sunday is the new moon as well so tides will already be running very high).

Sunday08/28/117:51AM5.1 feet High TideSunday08/28/111:37PM-0.21 feet Low Tide

We really need this thing to veer OTS. The Euro as depicted would be carnage in Cape May and the flooding in SJ would be beyond bad. Even here in northern DE we'd be in trouble along with NE MD and SE PA. The weenie in me wants to see a cane hit somewhere close but the realist in me knows it would be a bad bad thing for a lot of people. SNE can keep it.

We really need this thing to veer OTS. The Euro as depicted would be carnage in Cape May and the flooding in SJ would be beyond bad. Even here in northern DE we'd be in trouble along with NE MD and SE PA. The weenie in me wants to see a cane hit somewhere close but the realist in me knows it would be a bad bad thing for a lot of people. SNE can keep it.

Four day verification is what? 200 miles? Same truth as in winter - the safest place to be is in the sweetspot four days out.

I'm looking for a serious response but my house is in Wildwood Crest and I was thinking of going down for this should this thing actually hit. Just like winter I'm not really sold on a track until 2 days before. Is this a good or bad Idea assuming this does happen. I have been waiting a long time for this. My house is 4 blocks off the beach and for anyone that doesnt know the beach itself where I go is another 2 or 3 blocks long depending on tides. Any comments or suggestions are helpful.

I'm looking for a serious response but my house is in Wildwood Crest and I was thinking of going down for this should this thing actually hit. Just like winter I'm not really sold on a track until 2 days before. Is this a good or bad Idea assuming this does happen. I have been waiting a long time for this. My house is 4 blocks off the beach and for anyone that doesnt know the beach itself where I go is another 2 or 3 blocks long depending on tides. Any comments or suggestions are helpful.

My response above was serious - if the eye if forecasted to pass over your house four days out, its unlikely to actually pass over your house. If I had to bet, I would bet Irene passes off shore, but its clearly still possible you could be in the NE quadrant.

If I was thinking about it, I'd approach it pretty seriously with one particular question - what kind of flooding in your area would you expect in a worst case scenario which would be a Cat 2/3 at high tide. If that gets water to your doorstep i wouldn't do it.

Boch, I'm debating heading down south jersey or li. Problem with south jersey/cape may is storm surge and flooding. The islands flood pretty fast, and if the euro depiction is true, maybe one hell of a storm surge because the NE quad blowing onto the shore. You'd have to play it real conservative and know where an when to go.

It really is a wait and see situation, atleast for the next 24 hours or so.....that would give you (Boch) roughly 48 hours to get things in order prior to any major effects. With the Euro as the western outlier....I'd tend to think (until I see proof otherwise) that Irene stays just offshore of NJ and hits central or eastern LI as its furthest west point. Obvisouly that could change. I myself will be heading back to Long Island if the expected track takes it west of my hometown. Part of me is already second guessing the idea though as the thought of a flooded Belt Parkway trying to get back to PA on Monday make me cringe.

Definetely nothing set in stone yet and too much variance in the models for a clear decision now.

I am thinking of heading down as well. In laws have a place in OC right just off the bay and overooking Great Egg Harbor. I am concerned about back bay flooding. but the house sits on top of the garage and is two stories tall, so I should be ok, although my Jeep Grand Cherokee may not be :yikes:

So one thing Mt. Holly talked about a couple of days ago was a possible PRE event. The set-up doesn't look quite right to me, but I'd be interested in others take. Here's an interesting PowerPoint if anyone's interested:

www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/hmt/seminar_files/PRE_NWS_Teletraining.ppt

They still expect one Saturday night/Sunday morning. PWAT's approaching 3" near the coast.

They still expect one Saturday night/Sunday morning. PWAT's approaching 3" near the coast.

You are correct:

THE POSSIBLE PREDECESSOR HEAVY RAIN EVENT TO START

ON SATURDAY AS PLENTY OF ONSHORE WINDS DRIVE INCREASING AND

DEEPENING MOISTURE /PW VALUES NEARING 2.0-2.5 INCHES/ INTO THE

AREA WITH THE FLOW SLOWING SOME INLAND POSSIBLY AIDING IN

CONVERGENCE AND LOCALLY TORRENTIAL RAIN

Thanks guys obviously don't want to do anything stupid. My House is actually about 12 feet off of the ground and is actually built up on a hill, maybe hill isnt a good word but it is slightly elevated. I also have access to the condo above me which is connected with a stairwell. I don't think that situation would present itself though. I guess I will wait to see what tomorrow brings. If I do head down it would be early saturday morning. The Crest has some pretty serious dunes and thats not including the new row they put in Over the winter. I'll have to look into tides etc as I said in the next day or two. My family thinks I'm crazy and rightfully so lol.

Boch, I'm debating heading down south jersey or li. Problem with south jersey/cape may is storm surge and flooding. The islands flood pretty fast, and if the euro depiction is true, maybe one hell of a storm surge because the NE quad blowing onto the shore. You'd have to play it real conservative and know where an when to go.

I agree. Flooding could be a major issue with the moon if this holds track. Most shore towns are only a few feet in elevation and flood in 2 inches of rain, let alone 5-10inches and strong NE winds on the moon. Avalon, for example is only 6ft in elevation and initial forecast is 2-4ft in surge.

All you guys thinking of going to any barrier island, if this does come to pass, don't even think about going down there to stay for the duration. You'll be evacuating before the storm gets here. Plans are already being put in place to do so, once it becomes more clear. Go down for pics, whatever, but get off the barrier islands before she hits.

All you guys thinking of going to any barrier island, if this does come to pass, don't even think about going down there to stay for the duration. You'll be evacuating before the storm gets here. Plans are already being put in place to do so, once it becomes more clear. Go down for pics, whatever, but get off the barrier islands before she hits.

Ultimately I know I won't be able to go down but I will want too until the storm is over. And if the euro does come true I don't think I will need to go to the beach anyway to see what I want to see.Unless of course Irishbri wants to drive haha.

Archived