e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
lrene's Heavy Rain Impacts in PHL 8/29 - 8/31

ptb127

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GHM takes it up the Chessy almost to Lancaster. Guess I did the old jinx by posting a 'forecast' so early in the game. Bracing for the worst here in Cape May and hunkering down. Can't leave the house even with evacs...gathering storm preparedness items tomorrow, boarding the windows, and removing all lawn furniture.

Straight up the Chesapeake into eastern PA as a Cat 1 hurricane...Philly gets destroyed by it.

At least for Philly the core of winds at 925 mb on the ECMWF is to their east, basically the Delaware and New Jersey coasts get racked by 70-80 knots of wind at 925 mb. I am not liking this!!

I like the CMC better as it is farther off the coast. :)

At least for Philly the core of winds at 925 mb on the ECMWF is to their east, basically the Delaware and New Jersey coasts get racked by 70-80 knots of wind at 925 mb. I am not liking this!!

I like the CMC better as it is farther off the coast. :)

Perhaps it's me but it seems the GFS is arguably a worse scenario than the EC...while the EC track sucks Irene will have tracked over land for a good 12-18 hours and would probably weaken a fair bit. The Shore still gets nailed with strongest winds but locally it would be sustained 40-50 in Philly at worse, perhaps? It's not "good" by any stretch but at least you have 12-18 hours inland working against the storm.

GFS looks like an absolute pillaging at the Shore and for the DE Beaches...and Philly would be in a prime spot for heavy rainfall. GFS is almost worst case scenario locally for what a storm could do track wise.

Was reading up on hurricanes that produced wind/damage in E PA and came up with, among others, Hazel (1954) and David (1979). Both of those tracked well west of the Delaware. Different trajectories for sure, but enough for me to want this one to scrape by to the east. Thankfully these solutions are still on the western edge of the guidance.

Looks like possible major flooding and further south the OBX could be changing landscape.But,we have many more miles to go on this thing. Guessing that rate of error is at least 150 miles at this point. You know that 12z models will cause a stir in the solutions..

The 12z runs will have all the 06z RAOB data ingested into them. I like the fact that they specifically asked Montana NWS to sample. That shortwave must be the key.

Was reading up on hurricanes that produced wind/damage in E PA and came up with, among others, Hazel (1954) and David (1979). Both of those tracked well west of the Delaware. Different trajectories for sure, but enough for me to want this one to scrape by to the east. Thankfully these solutions are still on the western edge of the guidance.

I'm sure you also hit on Floyd and Gloria-Irene looks like a blend of these-for now...

I'm sure you also hit on Floyd and Gloria-Irene looks like a blend of these-for now...

Well, yeah, but this morning I'm focusing in on the inland progs of the Euro and GFDL. Not saying they're right, but I think it's prudent to telegraph the impacts associated with any solution within the spread.

Well, yeah, but this morning I'm focusing in on the inland progs of the Euro and GFDL. Not saying they're right, but I think it's prudent to telegraph the impacts associated with any solution within the spread.

You want the eyewall to come over your house. :P

Jus' kiddin' of course.

I am now pretty sure its time for us that are close to Philly and also those in DE and NJ to be fully prepared for long term power outages like days or weeks? Or am I kinda taking it out of context?

Not at all. There may not be enough crews to handle the work. Also depends on where you live. Mains and metro areas have priority. Could easily be 2-3 days for many..if this verifies.

Repercussions of the ECMWF track for the Delaware Valley are going to be quite severe considering the area has received 8-13" rain over the last three weeks, flooding and power outtages due to down trees. I have concern about losing power for an extensive period of time

Archived