• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Hurricane Irene in the tropics. Will it impact the Southeast?

weatherman566

WRAL saying Morehead City is now the forecasted point of landfall Saturday morning.

Morehead City and the inland side of Pamlico Sound, putting the OBX north of Hatteras in the NE quadrant. Yikes. And then straight out into densely populated Tidewater Virginia.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this last tick west (and the great discussion on the board) has made up my mind for me...time to make plans to head closer to the birthing center to ride this out. On the up side, perhaps the drop in pressure will go ahead and help this baby decide to make her appearance. *crossing fingers*

Y'all stay safe in ENC. My parents have also decided not to hang around and are heading west...taking no chances. Hoping the rest of my family, and those of you guys who are staying around the Greenville area (and all nearby points) make it through with no problems. :thumbsup:

Edit: Any of you guys around the RTP area know of a good hotel to stay in, in or around Chapel Hill?

State of Emergency now for all counties east of 95 in NC.

Yep I have seen GUC ( Greenville Utility Company) trucks out everywhere picking up roadside trash, clearing debris and trash from storm grates etc....our problem is the river here is tidal and with this approach angle there is going to be quite a surge up the river so much so that it flows backwards. This in turn submerges the runoff pipes flowing into the river and backs them up which is why most of Greenville is a lake during a hurricane the rain has nowhere to go.

Unfortunately the threat of a Cat 1 to the NE is dominating everyones attention and the Cat 3 in NC seems to be a afterthought........kinda annoying but its pretty typical. All the local stations jumping all over the threat if the GFS is right IRT timing then we are about 36-48hrs out right now from hurricane conditions in eastern NC.

IMHO...we're getting to that time where we can just quit analyzing every model detail, instead just rely on Satellite and RECON to make comparisions between the forecasts and the actual verification. Since most of the North Carolina Coast needs 2 or 3 days notice for evacuation, that process is already underway.

One interesting benchmark coming up is the 78 degrees west...the official forecast does not have Irene reach 78W...she seems to be now moving at a steady state, let's see if she follows the forecast or breaks the threshold and if she does, then we can analyze the ramifications of passing 78 West.

Unfortunately the threat of a Cat 1 to the NE is dominating everyones attention and the Cat 3 in NC seems to be a afterthought........kinda annoying but its pretty typical. All the local stations jumping all over the threat if the GFS is right IRT timing then we are about 36-48hrs out right now from hurricane conditions in eastern NC.

Everyone knows the world revolves around the northeast. It's going to be the end of the world when NYC gets tropical storm winds from this thing. I sincerely hope no one gets hurt but it drives me crazy the attention they get. I know they are a huge city but still. You NC folks stay safe.

IMHO...we're getting to that time where we can just quit analyzing every model detail, instead just rely on Satellite and RECON to make comparisions between the forecasts and the actual verification.

You can use radar, too. The eye is now well within view of Miami's extended base product.

Everyone knows the world revolves around the northeast. It's going to be the end of the world when NYC gets tropical storm winds from this thing. I sincerely hope no one gets hurt but it drives me crazy the attention they get. I know they are a huge city but still. You NC folks stay safe.

You know it!! Kinda been there done that attitude most here dont panic or freakout people just doing what needs to get done. There are always the folks that move here ( ironically mostly from up north ) that are all freaking out but as a rule this city and region has a solid and tested plan they put into action. Still a lot of difference in what we can expect a shift 30 miles one way or the other could mean the difference between winds 70-100 or winds 40-60 so while we wait for Irene to decide what she is gonna do we get ready. Some stores here already taping windows up though lol and I am expecting the Lowes to be nuts when I ride by there on my way to work in a hr.

Well through 24 the Euro is already 6 hours quicker than the 0z run. That is a definite trend by all the models, so they are expecting this to pick up speed today.

Well then it stalled out between 24 and 30 and it's pretty much lining up with 0z Euro, it's heading straight north on 78W through 36.

This back and forth is going to get annoying.

just wait til its closer to shore. then with each wobble on radar (the wobbles generally being normal) will illicit "its going west" or "its going east" lol

since this is on the weekend, depending on things look tomorrow, maybe a road trip/mini hurricane trip to eastern nc is on tap :)

It looks like to me, It just took a little jog to the west!! If I were from Myrtle Beach to WIll. I would keep my guard up!

I'm a little concerned that Later on when it doesn't have ANY land interaction we may be in for a huge drop in pressure. Then we might go through a EWRC (Eye Wall Replacement Cycle)and an another jog to the west.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huvsloop.html

Archived