• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Hurricane Irene in the tropics. Will it impact the Southeast?

weatherman566

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's a different path than Fran but Fran was suPposed to skirt the coast and turned into us through Raleigh any shot of that?

One of the great posts from Phil last night showed shortwave energy that is now modeled to join up with Irene at about the same time it hits the coast. At that point the system is pulled west for an amount of time on the Euro. Now some other models are picking up on this and some have eliminated the eastern movement of the system as it heads north. I would think that if the energy merges sooner than what the Euro shows, that the western wiggle could start sooner and have a greater impact on eastern NC and even the eastern tip of SC. Timing is everything. The hurricane was originally modeled to be really slow and then the models sped it up quite a bit. Who knows what we will see, but I will be watching.

I was going to go home to see the fireworks (Jacksonville, NC) but I guess it's looking like I can stay here at ECU haha.

Well looking more and more like I am going to get within 30-60 miles of the center of this thing....charging all my cameras. Biggest question is how far west does this go I think its not out of the question for a ILM hit still but I bet Onslow Bay to Swansboro is a safer bet right now.

I was going to go home to see the fireworks (Jacksonville, NC) but I guess it's looking like I can stay here at ECU haha.

Yep as we get closer to the event the chances of big moves are slowly dropping but this could still miss to the right but the current trend says get ready eastern NC.....the new big question is whats she gonna be intensity wise and since thats the most difficult thing to forecast I suggest planning for worst case which IMO would be a healthy Cat 3 say 120-125 tops more realistically though a 105-115mph storm is likely. Still one that strong would be the biggest one to hit on this type of track in living memory.

Southeast posters, what are your thoughts on NGFDL (GFDN) and the GFDL? Looks like the west solution of the GFDN is completely against itself...kind of like NOGAPS did yesterday with it's dramatic west run, thoughts? Does anyone know the reliability tropically of these models?

bHtwW.png

This is what makes the geographical layout of Eastern North Carolina such a pain for forecasting hurricane landalls...

The biggest challenge that the NHC and the local NWS offices will have over the next 2 days is to pinpoint the exact landfall area...I've noticed the NHC still has Irene no farther west than 78W and they also have Irene moving in a NNE motion at landfall.

So...what if Irene made it past 78 West and what if she moves due north (as several of the models have hinted at) at landfall? With the layout of Eastern North Carolina, that could be a huge difference in landfall location and the amount of people being affected by Irene.

Archived