• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential December 12th-13th threat

BullCityWx

This whole thing reminds me of one of my favorite DT quotes.

It doesn't snow because you pray for it or you want it to or because it's shown on a model, it snows because the synoptic pattern allows for it to happen. The fact remains that we have a -pna pattern, the stj is doa and there's going to be no 50/50 low this weekend. We're doomed from the outset.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't snow because you pray for it or you want it to or because it's shown on a model, it snows because the synoptic pattern allows for it to happen. The fact remains that we have a -pna pattern, the stj is doa and there's going to be no 50/50 low this weekend. We're doomed from the outset.

Bingo, we have a winner

Yeah it has a pretty strong CAD signal. Maybe the some of the CAD experts can chime in.

06zgfs850mbTSLPp06150.gif

There is some evidence of CAD, but its mainly from the high pressure located over Central Canada. We really need that high located over the Great Lakes or Northeast to really tap into a good source of cold air. Thats why the wedge depicted here is very transient, since there is no high or deep reservoir of cold air located in the northeast.

Tennessee and Kentucky is considered the SE, but I guess its a matter of what you consider significant :arrowhead:

Kentucky is considered a Mid West state by most people, and Tenn can fall under both the SE and the Mid West just like NC can fall under the Mid Atlantic. Let's not start this discussion again on what state should be where...:axe:

Don't think 12z GFS is as bad as everybody thinks. It does show the low pushing towards the lake but also tries to keep a CAD signiture and possible redevelopment off the coast. We would definitly want this to trend way SE; and we still have time for this to happen. I don't trust any model right now.

At *best* it's in-situ cad. If you've got hopes for a big winter storm, they are extremely misplaced with this event.

Don't think 12z GFS is as bad as everybody thinks. It does show the low pushing towards the lake but also tries to keep a CAD signiture and possible redevelopment off the coast. We would definitly want this to trend way SE; and we still have time for this to happen. I don't trust any model right now.

Its not that its trusting the model, its the overall synoptic pattern that is being shown by EVERY model.

he is a big man! Said he is the worlds tallest weatherman!

Is he taller than 6'6"?

I've given up on this weekend storm giving east of the Apps snow. Looks just too warm and the storm doesn't dig as far south as a few days ago showed. It will turn into another big vortex though, and on Sunday there is a good chance at really good backlash snow in Tn, NC, Ga, Ala. A lot of places in the Southeast will now have had atleast a little snow in the air except SC, eastern Ga and srn NC. The pattern keeps repeating. I'd like to see the Greenland block to retrograde some. That might happen beyond 10 days, before the pattern breaks down and we go into Southeast ridging. The GFS has even colder air next weekend. than this outbreak.

Currently 36 degrees almost noon.

Is he taller than 6'6"?

I've given up on this weekend storm giving east of the Apps snow. Looks just too warm and the storm doesn't dig as far south as a few days ago showed. It will turn into another big vortex though, and on Sunday there is a good chance at really good backlash snow in Tn, NC, Ga, Ala. A lot of places in the Southeast will now have had atleast a little snow in the air except SC, eastern Ga and srn NC. The pattern keeps repeating. I'd like to see the Greenland block to retrograde some. That might happen beyond 10 days, before the pattern breaks down and we go into Southeast ridging. The GFS has even colder air next weekend. than this outbreak.

Currently 36 degrees almost noon.

I agree......... the pattern just isn't right. Too many large scale features are saying NO at this point. For instance: High lattitude blocking is progressing toward England, No 50/50 low, No confluence in southern Canada/New England, Ridge out west is too flat, Eastern cold is transient, +EPO, -PNA, MJO heading into an unfavorable phase, Shall I go on???? Bottom line is this.......... If we get a snowstorm out of that pattern (east of the mountains), I will be very shocked.

12z GFS is a cold Rain for the Triad. Temps never get out of 30's during event, then once moisture leaves they drop like a rock. This run has a insutu Damming going on, while coastal plain gets up in the 40-50's for about a 6 hour window. Looks like western VA could be dealing with alot of Freezing Rain. So far as of 6th day of December the airport in Greensboro is runing at -6 below seasonal average. Gonna be a top 10 record cold December from what I'm seeing sitting where we are at right now. 31 w/ windchill in teens at lunch.

I agree......... the pattern just isn't right. Too many large scale features are saying NO at this point. For instance: High lattitude blocking is progressing toward England, No 50/50 low, No confluence in southern Canada/New England, Ridge out west is too flat, Eastern cold is transient, +EPO, -PNA, MJO heading into an unfavorable phase, Shall I go on???? Bottom line is this.......... If we get a snowstorm out of that pattern (east of the mountains), I will be very shocked.

Have to agree also, there are just too many negatives right now to suggest otherwise. Don't know how much stock we can put into the MJO's influence at this point, as it is just emerging from the circle of death and forecasted to be pretty diffuse for the next week or so. This is still around day 7 though, GFS is on the fast side of the envelope, and trending quicker compared to the past several runs. I would put more stock in a Euro solution at this range compared to the global, given verification stats on avg at the 5-7 day range. Parcels will not be onshore for another 4-5 days, and a lot could change between then, but the synoptic indicators we look for in winter storms, are mostly absent, and that is very difficult to overcome at this range.

cor_day6_HGT_P500_G2_00Z.png

Kentucky is considered a Mid West state by most people, and Tenn can fall under both the SE and the Mid West just like NC can fall under the Mid Atlantic. Let's not start this discussion again on what state should be where...:axe:

Tennessee in the Midwest. I've never heard of that. Midsouth maybe. I will be in Tennessee, though, this weekend. I'm hoping for some backlash snow up in Gatlinburg.

Yes, let's have this discussion because I'd love to hear you make the case that TN is a Mid West state. :popcorn:

12z GFS is a cold Rain for the Triad. Temps never get out of 30's during event, then once moisture leaves they drop like a rock. This run has a insutu Damming going on, while coastal plain gets up in the 40-50's for about a 6 hour window. Looks like western VA could be dealing with alot of Freezing Rain. So far as of 6th day of December the airport in Greensboro is runing at -6 below seasonal average. Gonna be a top 10 record cold December from what I'm seeing sitting where we are at right now. 31 w/ windchill in teens at lunch.

If there is one place that somehow keeps getting blood (SNOW) out of turnips lately, it's the Triad. It just wants to snow there, so never say never when talking about the Triad.

Archived