• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Sunday/Monday Coastal (Aug 14/15)

Baroclinic Zone

Meh, summer rains are a bit annoying to follow with the nowcasting necessary. Model consistency is terribly. 6z NAM had BDL area soaked with 5"+ of rain. 12z has them nudging 0.5" :lol:

Models will usually have trouble with placement of these. I always look for the low/mid level features..and the PWAT stuff to get an idea.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it gets worse along there you could avoid most of it by taking the Taconic to the Mass Pike (or cut over on NY/MA-23 from Taconic as I used to from Saugerties)....

On work days that Hutchinson -> Merritt is often nasty with traffic.

Probably not worth it if it has lightened.....

About to drive back from NJ. It doesn't look terrible at the moment. Some heavier rain on the merritt it looks like but not the extreme stuff that might happen later.

Anyone know anything about Grantham , New Hampshire? About 10 miles SE of Lebanon.. Looks like my dad is gonna build a house there..and move up in the next year or so. I've never been to that part of the state..He says there's mtns all around..but I'm thinking it's kind of a downsloping area?? Thoughts/ ideas/ info?

I have a strong feeling like I said earlier much of the heavy rain misses most of interior SNE and Eastern areas..Might just be a SW new eng thing.

Up to .25 here.Just annoying light rain..give me flooding..or give me nothing...this crap blows

The main thrust of the precip won't come until the low tracks north tonight. This stuff today is just convergence from the LLJ.

Anyone know anything about Grantham , New Hampshire? About 10 miles SE of Lebanon.. Looks like my dad is gonna build a house there..and move up in the next year or so. I've never been to that part of the state..He says there's mtns all around..but I'm thinking it's kind of a downsloping area?? Thoughts/ ideas/ info?

Depends how "in" the river valley it is... if it is in the hills surrounding the Upper Valley then he'll do alright. But yes, for the most part that entire area gets downsloped a lot in any W or NW flow (ie they'll be sunny while the Green Mtns are getting 1-2"/hr upstream), and also E flow from the Whites. I have found that area does very good with strong southerly flow systems though, and SW flow events, as there is some channeling and convergence within the valley from those directions. Any storm with a strong front end dump will work out nicely there. They also do CAD very well as it takes forever to scour out the low level cold air there between the Greens and Whites.

Depends how "in" the river valley it is... if it is in the hills surrounding the Upper Valley then he'll do alright. But yes, for the most part that entire area gets downsloped a lot in any W or NW flow (ie they'll be sunny while the Green Mtns are getting 1-2"/hr upstream), and also E flow from the Whites. I have found that area does very good with strong southerly flow systems though, and SW flow events, as there is some channeling and convergence within the valley from those directions. Any storm with a strong front end dump will work out nicely there. They also do CAD very well as it takes forever to scour out the low level cold air there between the Greens and Whites.

Thanks dude. I appreciate it. He said the development is in Eastman..which I guess is a part of Grantham or something. I'm guessing it's not on the valley floor, but probably under 1,000 feet

Thanks dude. I appreciate it. He said the development is in Eastman..which I guess is a part of Grantham or something. I'm guessing it's not on the valley floor, but probably under 1,000 feet

Yeah and on second thought an east wind may not be that bad as its not as far north as I thought it was... meaning the bulk of the high peaks of the Whites/Presidentials are off to the northeast. I know that area is pretty decent for snowpack retention though because they get some cold nights and low level cold. There is a big difference though if he's like 300ft in the immediate valley or more like 700-800ft just outside the immediate river plain.

Eastman Pond is about 1100ft. The rest of the immediate surrounding area is 1200ft+. Grantham Mtn just to the WSW is over 2600ft and most of the higher ridges in all directions are around 1500ft. I'd bet it's actually a pretty decent spot for good snows. Being 1000ft+ with some higher terrain around I'd assume that Eastman Pond area radiates damn cold on the ideal nights.

This home station is in Grantham:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KNHLEBAN1

You could probably contact him or look over his past data. At 1125ft he's probably close to what your dad would be.

Oh wow I just googled it and its not even close to the CT Upper Valley... he's in a great spot. The town of Grantham sits at like 900-1,000ft and all of Eastman Road is above 1,000ft... maxing out over 1,200ft. Its very close to Sunapee Lake and can't be far from the Sunapee ski area. Its right on the high spot of I-89 where the interstate gets up over 1,400ft before it starts to descend into the CT River Valley.

I bet that spot averages 90-100". Its pretty much like Rindge but much further north.

Yeah and on second thought an east wind may not be that bad as its not as far north as I thought it was... meaning the bulk of the high peaks of the Whites/Presidentials are off to the northeast. I know that area is pretty decent for snowpack retention though because they get some cold nights and low level cold. There is a big difference though if he's like 300ft in the immediate valley or more like 700-800ft just outside the immediate river plain.

Eastman Pond is about 1100ft. The rest of the immediate surrounding area is 1200ft+. Grantham Mtn just to the WSW is over 2600ft and most of the higher ridges in all directions are around 1500ft. I'd bet it's actually a pretty decent spot for good snows. Being 1000ft+ with some higher terrain around I'd assume that Eastman Pond area radiates damn cold on the ideal nights.

http://www.wundergro...sp?ID=KNHLEBAN1

You could probably contact him or look over his past data. At 1125ft he's probably close to what your dad would be.

Nice...Gives me a nice weenie spot now to visit..until we can move up to the Jackson area down the line .

He said there are hils/mtns all around..so I bet he will be in a good spot/ Prob won't be until the following winter though

Anyone ever been to the Alpine Slide/water park/Mountain coaster at Attitash? We took the kids there last week..and it was awesome. One of the the best places I've ever visited. Just an awesome time

I haven't been on the alpine slide since high school. That was fun. A couple of years ago we stayed at the Attitash Grand Summit (I think that was the name). Pretty nice hotel/condo facility.

I love that area.

Where will you stay when you do Disney?

http://www.wundergro...sp?ID=KNHLEBAN1

Looking at the topographic maps of the area, that place must have some cold, cold nights... over 1,000ft surrounded by higher terrain and ridges. And any strong ESE flow has got to upslope Atlantic moisture into that area as he's on the east side of that highland area (his rainwater drains east towards the Atlantic instead of west into the CT River). They've gotta hold snowcover for a long time there.

Looking at the topographic maps of the area, that place must have some cold, cold nights... over 1,000ft surrounded by higher terrain and ridges. And any strong ESE flow has got to upslope Atlantic moisture into that area as he's on the east side of that highland area (his rainwater drains east towards the Atlantic instead of west into the CT River). They've gotta hold snowcover for a long time there.

:wub::bike::snowman:

Knowing the area a bit and looking on the maps, I think that's a great spot. So what if he downslopes on the fake nw upslope snow...he should do great from more synoptic snows. There are some mtns near and over 2000' to the ENE, but anywhere above 1000' up there will do well. Have him get further west near those weenie ridge spots near the Grantham mtns.

Archived