joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
8.13-8.15 rain and storm event

Ian

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z euro has 1"+ from the va/md border (actually about 30-50 miles sw) and off to the northeast on Sunday. Seems like Sat is slipping away as the system is a little slower now.

I wouldn't mind too much. I'm up in South Jersey for an outdoor party on Saturday, and it wouldn't be awful to be at home for a lazy, rainy Sunday.

So I am monitoring the forecast for a company event that is planned outside in the Leesburg area from 6-10pm on Saturday night. When does the rain look to enter the area? Thanks.

Anything tomorrow should be isolated to scattered. Hard to nail down.

The overnight SPC outlook, just because nobody else posted it:

...MID-ATLANTIC/CAROLINAS... ONGOING/POTENTIALLY WIDESPREAD SHOWERS AND STORMS ARE EXPECTED AT THE START OF THE PERIOD...AHEAD OF THE DIGGING UPPER TROUGH AND ASSOCIATED WEAK SURFACE FRONT. THIS RAISES QUESTIONS WITH RESPECT TO DEGREE OF DESTABILIZATION POTENTIAL E OF THE APPALACHIANS. STILL...EXPECT SOME INCREASE IN STORM INTENSITY DURING THE AFTERNOON -- AT LEAST LOCALLY...AIDED BY MODERATE /35 KT/ MID-LEVEL FLOW SPREADING ACROSS THE REGION AHEAD OF THE DIGGING TROUGH. AS A RESULT...WILL INTRODUCE A BROAD SLIGHT RISK -- MAINLY TO COVER WHAT APPEARS TO BE POTENTIAL FOR PRIMARILY DAMAGING WINDS. STORMS MAY CONTINUE INTO THE EVENING...SPREADING TOWARD THE COAST AHEAD OF THE STEADILY PROGRESSIVE SURFACE AND UPPER SYSTEM.

12z GFS has <1" of rain for everyone, biggest amounts toward Philly. Getting "meh" worthy.

On a better note, while the 6z looked like it wanted to bring back some heat in the mid-long range, 12z gives us a pattern that we''ll be dying for in 4-5 months. Big western ridge and deep eastern trough.

12z GFS has <1" of rain for everyone, biggest amounts toward Philly. Getting "meh" worthy.

On a better note, while the 6z looked like it wanted to bring back some heat in the mid-long range, 12z gives us a pattern that we''ll be dying for in 4-5 months. Big western ridge and deep eastern trough.

still would be one of the bigger rain events areawide in quite a while. gfs is going to underdo heaviest qpf in a convective situation as well imo. euro is still around 1" on Sunday with some also tomorrow.

Where's the 0C line? :snowman:

still would be one of the bigger rain events areawide in quite a while. gfs is going to underdo heaviest qpf in a convective situation as well imo.

Agree on both points. GFS has been trending towards lighter precip from what I've seen, however.

Agree on both points. GFS has been trending towards lighter precip from what I've seen, however.

You sort of (or on some models do) have a coastal type jump or at least a relocation southeast as the trough digs in fully as seen as winter -- this has now been rather well modeled for a few days as well (note miller b comment in first post). Hard to say where the heaviest axis sets up. I have not followed the GFS enough perhaps. It still looks primed for someone to me. The NAM may be overdone but I think it makes some sense in developing an axis of heavy precip in the broader area. But yeah it's probably still hard to think we've got this one... could develop to far northeast and just hit SNE instead. :snowman:

The new srefs look a bunch wetter for the northern va area in general, though not necessarily for you guys over near DC. I'd think that it is still a better signal, being a region wide wetter forecast, pinpoint locations probably meaning little.

OTOH, the new NAM comes in dry for the same areas that the srefs are wet in. So go figure.

The new srefs look a bunch wetter for the northern va area in general, though not necessarily for you guys over near DC. I'd think that it is still a better signal, being a region wide wetter forecast, pinpoint locations probably meaning little.

OTOH, the new NAM comes in dry for the same areas that the srefs are wet in. So go figure.

NAM has slowed a bit I think. It still likes crushing someone... the leesburg fringe zone may be returning. more after map below but interesting look. :lol:

nam_p48_048m.gif

one thing for sure.. im going to bust somewhere with my forecast for cwg tomorrow

I'm interested in seeing the ind. members of that sref and see where all that precip is coming from. Could be the NAM is out on its own. I guess it's hard to pin down precip when thunderstorms are involved. I guess time of day can have a big say in that as well.

NAM MOS took a nosedive for tomorrow.. Now down near 80 areawide. Has a frontrunner vort in the flow. Always kinda suspect I guess.

NAM ftw? Out so don't have sat but rather cloudy.

Archived