Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
TS Emily: 215 Miles SSE Of San Juan, PR

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we keep the long range pattern discussions, EC no action disco and rainstorm in the Atlantic thread and not in the 91L thread. Thanx...

http://www.americanw...-2011-part-iii/

Thanks, Steve

Yawn.. feels like last year all over again

You always bring so much value to the table in these threads.

Again... The models are generally useless until there is a defined COC... Even then its a shotgun.

The statistical models are generally useless. The globals are fine to use as guidance.

Living in St Croix now... I've got my eyes on this one! May be my first 'cane since Isabel (was in Maryland at the time).

Aviation Dave looks to be the only member who will have a vested interest as he is going on a cruise in the islands this week. Globals really downplaying this right now

:whistle:

I'm really surprised the EC is not more bullish for development. The conditions appear to be quite favorable.

Still lacks organization. No banding features evident and still possibly two vorts embedded within the overall disturbance. For now, I tend to believe the Euro/UKMET solution of a weaker system passing through the Central Islands in a couple of days with little development. RECON may be able to close off a low tomorrow afternoon, at the earliest, IMO.

post-32-0-13426500-1312033426.jpg

Still lacks organization. No banding features evident and still possibly two vorts embedded within the overall disturbance. For now, I tend to believe the Euro/UKMET solution of a weaker system passing through the Central Islands in a couple of days with little development. RECON may be able to close off a low tomorrow afternoon, at the earliest, IMO.

I agree. It is a very large tropical wave and its going to take some time before it can get its act together.

Looking at HI RES visible imagery, the vort near 15N/45W appears to be the dominant feature. It does look like a mid level spin is developing and outflow is becoming a bit better established. The disturbance is moving rather quickly, but should begin to slow as it nears the Central Caribbean Islands. Hopefully future MW data will verify that area and if it does, I could see the NHC begin to ramp up their interest with the Islands being near that 72 hour point were advisories could be needed. We all remember Tomas last year...

post-32-0-92671200-1312040513.jpg

Looking at HI RES visible imagery, the vort near 15N/45W appears to be the dominant feature. It does look like a mid level spin is developing and outflow is becoming a bit better established. The disturbance is moving rather quickly, but should begin to slow as it nears the Central Caribbean Islands. Hopefully future MW data will verify that area and if it does, I could see the NHC begin to ramp up their interest with the Islands being near that 72 hour point were advisories could be needed. We all remember Tomas last year...

Looking less linear than before..definitely more curving and banding of the structure. Seems to be getting more organized today.

12z SHIPS has 91L over Hispaniola at the end of the run.

That would be an interesting scenario.

SHIPS is an intensity model based off dynamical GFS fields. It does not produce a track forecast. Prior to being declared a tropical depression, SHIPS uses BAMM as its track forecast to diagnose the surrounding environment. Once a system is upgraded, SHIPS uses the OFCL NHC track as its input.

Going from a purely observational standpoint, this system has already gained a significant amount of latitude in the last 24-48 hours so I think its increasingly likely it will not be a Caribbean Cruiser. The 500mb ridge to its north is the strongest right now than it will be during its entire lifetime, so if we are already seeing a significant wnw movement, chances are pretty good that is going to continue with some bend further to the north as the ridge breaks down.

Archived