• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
TS Emily: 215 Miles SSE Of San Juan, PR

Not to be the party-pooper...but it looks lacking right now to me.

Has the very stable "skeleton" appearance.

You'd expect that in an SAL environment and likely why the NHC maintained 30% in the near term...

post-32-0-27426800-1311943748.jpg

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd expect that in an SAL environment and likely why the NHC maintained 30% in the near term...

Yep, that's the hard part. How much does the "pouch" shield the VHTs from the SAL air to the north. As long as there is no northerly component to the shear, it should be ok, but according to SHIPS, the shear vector is at 60* right now, which might be why convection has weakened this morning.

For all we know could be a TD already. NHC just skips TD and goes to TS a lot lately.

When systems that are T1.5/T2.0 have a closed circulation and local winds >35kts, it makes complete sense to skip the TD stage. Without recon, you'd never know it was a tropical storm.

When systems that are T1.5/T2.0 have a closed circulation and local winds >35kts, it makes complete sense to skip the TD stage. Without recon, you'd never know it was a tropical storm.

I have a hunch the 53rd will be heading SE in a couple of days to pre position for any future Atlantic threats...;)

It should have been for sure... 15 deaths and a billion in damage would have been retired any year other than '05. Well, and MX doesn't retire a lot of storms.

I'm convinced Emily is getting revenge for not getting retired the first go around.

If karl, a 5.6 billion dollar hurricane didnt get retired, then I dont know what mexico retires. Invest 91 looking good this morning.

Looking at the handy Alan Huffman/RaleighWx Euro ensemble means provided on AmericanWx, just speculation, one can see how it could go fishing, or maybe deflect North but miss the way out and be a menace from the Southeast Subforum to the SNE Subforum.

Glass quarter full optimism.

I'm not 100% sold on a fish storm yet, in my humble and amateur opinion.

post-138-0-69721100-1311948311.gif

post-138-0-88872800-1311948325.gif

Looking at the handy Alan Huffman/RaleighWx Euro ensemble means provided on AmericanWx, just speculation, one can see how it could go fishing, or maybe deflect North but miss the way out and be a menace from the Southeast Subforum to the SNE Subforum.

Glass quarter full optimism.

I'm not 100% sold on a fish storm yet, in my humble and amateur opinion.

I agree with you, Ed. I'm not sold on it fishing, either. I'm suspecting the ridge for the weekend is going to trend stronger in the models based on the SOI spike a few days ago.

I agree with you, Ed. I'm not sold on it fishing, either. I'm suspecting the ridge for the weekend is going to trend stronger in the models based on the SOI spike a few days ago.

Dumb weenie question here. If the ridge gets stronger, that will keep the system further on a due west track more towards the Caribbean Islands then PR and DR?

Dumb weenie question here. If the ridge gets stronger, that will keep the system further on a due west track more towards the Caribbean Islands then PR and DR?

It depends on when the ridge builds. The SOI spike was only a short lived one, so I'm envisioning the models are pretty decent through Wednesday or so with the weakness off the Atlantic Seaboard. My concern is the track after it lifts north of the Greater Antilles.

Close look at vis loops w/ lat/long lines turned on seems to suggest not quite there with West winds South of the Center, but CIMSS upper divergence/lower convergence is good, and CIMSS shear map shows 91L almost perfectly positioned beneath an anti-cylone.

As mentioned above (not going to put it in an image, its a slow loader http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/tpw2/natl/anim/latest72hrs.gif ) with the fairly light shear and healthy sized pouch, I think systems are generally a go for development. I think the NHC 30% for the next 48 hours might be just a touch pessimistic, I think we see a small upgrade in probabilities at the next TWOAT, and I suspect tomorrow's POD may have a following day mention of positioning aircraft for an invest during the weekend.

Yep, that's the hard part. How much does the "pouch" shield the VHTs from the SAL air to the north. As long as there is no northerly component to the shear, it should be ok, but according to SHIPS, the shear vector is at 60* right now, which might be why convection has weakened this morning.

Looks like the shear vector is forecast to become easterly by 00Z, and southeasterly by 06Z. So, if the pouch has not already ingested a prohibitive amount of SAL air by that point, I think that is when we'll start to see 91L improve.

I take it you don't agree with CUMET's post yesterday about northeasterly shear actually causing the dry air to be advected in from the western side of the circulation? If you believe that, it seems that southerly shear would be worse than northerly shear for the advection of dry air from the SAL.

Archived