• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
TS Emily: 215 Miles SSE Of San Juan, PR

A busy RECON schedule is being tacked for 91L...I think we can see that the NHC has a lot of interest in this disturbance...

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS

CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.

1230 PM EDT SAT 30 JULY 2011

SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)

VALID 31/1100Z JULY TO 01/1100Z AUGUST 2011

TCPOD NUMBER.....11-060

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS

1. SUSPECT AREA (CENTRAL ATLANTIC)

FLIGHT ONE -- TEAL 70

A. 31/1800Z

B. AFXXX 01EEA INVEST

C. 31/1530Z

D. 14.5N 56.0W

E. 31/1730Z TO 31/2330Z

F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

FLIGHT TWO -- NOAA 49

A. 01/0000Z

B. NOAA9 02EEA SURV

C. 31/1730Z

D. NA

E. NA

F. 41,000 TO 45,000 FT

FLIGHT THREE -- TEAL 71

A. 01/0600Z,1200Z

B. AFXXX 0305A CYCLONE

C. 01/0400Z

D. 15.2N 58.1W

E. 01/0530Z TO 01/1200Z

F. SFC TO 10,0000 FT

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY:

A. CONTINUE 6-HRLY FIXES IF SYSTEM DEVELOPS.

B. POSSIBLE NOAA G-IV MISSION FOR 02/0000Z.

3. REMARKS:

A. IF SYSTEM DOES NOT DEVELOP, FLIGHT THREE

WILL BECOME A 01/1200Z INVEST MISSION.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles seem to suggest there is no way it doesn't recurve if it has any development and is anywhere near the Greater Antilles, but if it does somehow delay development, the trough lifts back out fairly quickly.

The operational Euro does develop it somewhat, looks like, just shreds it when it gets jerked out of the Caribbean and across Hispaniola, so alternative A of the Caribbean Cruiser and CA/Gulf threat w/ chase potential looks like the less likely option.

post-138-0-03216800-1312044314.gif

post-138-0-22952900-1312044327.gif

The gfs ens. mean fcast for the NAO is near -2 as of days 7-10. If you want to see a hurricane plow well inland into the East coast as a direct hit off the ocean, say from N FL northward, the best bet seems to be for the NAO to be positive. If not positive, it almost has to be greater than -1. This is based on storms since 1950. Invest 91L has very little chance to hit the east coast. If it were to somehow do that as a hurricane, I'd expect it to be just a graze of, say, the Outer Banks.

Invest 91L has very little chance to hit the east coast. If it were to somehow do that as a hurricane, I'd expect it to be just a graze of, say, the Outer Banks.

Agree 100%. The only part of the US this has a chance to hit is the V.I. or P.R. Then it's for the fishes. With that ridge anchored over the Plains/Rockies, we may have a tough time this year with US landfalls except perhaps TX. 1980 was a dull year with the notable exception of Allen.

Agree 100%. The only part of the US this has a chance to hit is the V.I. or P.R. Then it's for the fishes. With that ridge anchored over the Plains/Rockies, we may have a tough time this year with US landfalls except perhaps TX. 1980 was a dull year with the notable exception of Allen.

Sounds like last year, hmm?

Sounds like last year, hmm?

There is a reason why a lot of the East Coast biggies happen in September or even October. I suspect the Northern Hemisphere wave number may change and the mean trough position will probably shift (and a mean trough position is just that, a mean), and I am sure troughs will be deeper and some may be negative tilt.

Glass half full, people!

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

200 PM EDT SAT JUL 30 2011

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH A LARGE LOW PRESSURE

SYSTEM LOCATED ABOUT 900 MILES EAST OF THE LESSER ANTILLES CONTINUE

TO SHOW SIGNS OF ORGANIZATION. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS APPEAR

FAVORABLE FOR A TROPICAL DEPRESSION TO FORM OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF

DAYS. THIS SYSTEM HAS A HIGH CHANCE...80 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A

TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES

WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT 15 TO 20 MPH.

There is a reason why a lot of the East Coast biggies happen in September or even October. I suspect the Northern Hemisphere wave number may change and the mean trough position will probably shift (and a mean trough position is just that, a mean), and I am sure troughs will be deeper and some may be negative tilt.

Glass half full, people!

The glass is always half-empty in regards to east-coast landfalls but we forget how common it was in years past.

One of the big concerns, from a NHC standpoint, is Haiti. Bill Read mentioned last Saturday that a million people are basically homeless and either living in tents or ruins after the earthquake. Their concern is with those folks and does keep forecasters and relief workers up at night thinking about a nightmare scenario for that poor country and its people.

For grins, the GFDL is further S...

My AccuWx PPV 500 mb outer grid suggests 91L in Cuba is past the trough axis. GFDL solution is also about the best possible scenario for a TC hitting Haiti to survive the trip, crossing the SW Peninsula. Wiki says even that, 'Shark Peninsula', has 2000 meter plus peaks.

I still trust the recurve, but the LOLgaps solution can't be completely excluded this early.

One of the big concerns, from a NHC standpoint, is Haiti. Bill Read mentioned last Saturday that a million people are basically homeless and either living in tents or ruins after the earthquake. Their concern is with those folks and does keep forecasters and relief workers up at night thinking about a nightmare scenario for that poor country and its people.

Yea sad stuff, when he referred to Haiti as a failed country, that hit me pretty good.

The gfs ens. mean fcast for the NAO is near -2 as of days 7-10. If you want to see a hurricane plow well inland into the East coast as a direct hit off the ocean, say from N FL northward, the best bet seems to be for the NAO to be positive. If not positive, it almost has to be greater than -1. This is based on storms since 1950. Invest 91L has very little chance to hit the east coast. If it were to somehow do that as a hurricane, I'd expect it to be just a graze of, say, the Outer Banks.

Are you just looking at the CPC monthly mean? I took a look at that awhile back and the signal is quite weak. I think this is because hurricanes travel in that area for a few days time so you won't see much of a signal in a monthly mean.

Archived