Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
July Heat Wave Obs/Discussion

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's looking like Toronto, Ottawa and montreal could get into the heat this upcoming week too, with a high of 95 forecast for tomorrow in Toronto and the lower 90s for Ottawa. Going to be pretty intense. I've noticed some places in the plains are breaking records from summer 1980. The following winter was quite a cold one. Will be interesting to see what happens this year.

Yeah I remember that heat wave. IIRC dews held near 80 most of the day, and we had that spike in the early evening. It felt like you were in a small bathroom after taking a long hot shower. VERY steamy.

Only made it to 88 here today. Peak heat index hit 93. Dews generally stayed around 70 all day. The oppressive humidity levels start just west of the QC. I'm sure tomorrow will be a different story.

EDIT: Just looked up the old ob for that date above. It was actually July 29. At 7pm it was 94/84 with a heat index of 122.:lmao:

Oops, forgot to do the mental translation from 00z July 30.

The AF base up there always has had very high DP readings in the summer. I don't know if it is instrument or microclimate.

It has to be instrument. I did ASOS observations at KGFK for a year which is only about 7-8 miles east of the base, and there is no difference in climate out there. That said, it is still nasty out there with a more realistic 79 DP at GFK.

Lack of coordination...

Different opionions get you different places though.

post-147-0-43265800-1310847109.jpg

IWX's thoughts for heat advisory/excessive heat watches for Northern IN for the upcoming week:

AFTER LONG CONSIDERATION...HAVE DECIDED TO ISSUE A HEAT ADVISORY FOR SUNDAY AFTERNOON. WITH HEAT INDICES FORECAST TO BE APPROACHING 100 DEGREES AND NUMEROUS...LARGE...OUTDOOR EVENTS GOING ON THROUGHOUT THE CWA FEEL THIS WOULD BE AN APPROPRIATE COURSE OF ACTION.

WE COULD BE FLIRTING WITH ADVISORY CRITERIA MONDAY AND TUESDAY BUT WILL HOLD OFF FOR NOW ON ANY HEADLINES

AFTER MUCH DISCUSSION ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE...WE HAVE OPTED TO HOIST A EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH FOR WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON INTO THURSDAY EVENING. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT CRITERIA FOR ADVISORY MAY ONLY BE MET BUT GIVEN THE EXTENDED NATURE OF THIS...POSSIBLY EVEN BEYOND THE DAY 7 PERIOD.

It looks like cloud debris/scattered showers will prevent a 90+ day today in the area, but Sunday and Monday still look to be on track for mid-90's (Monday dependent on MCS potential).

Even with the off and on cloud cover, ORD still came pretty damn close with an intra-hour 89...and an 88 here.

Whatever LOT says go the opposite.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. They are playing this 100% correctly. We are going to be damn close enough for MCS/other convective activity for the first few days of this that there is absolutely not enough certainty for advisory/warning criteria to be met. Even w/o any convection, we'd be marginal to start.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. They are playing this 100% correctly. We are going to be damn close enough for MCS/other convective activity for the first few days of this that there is absolutely not enough certainty for advisory/warning criteria to be met. Even w/o any convection, we'd be marginal to start.

Exactly, need people forget the upper 90s bust due to convection?

That's exactly their reasoning on holding off. I was sitting on on their conference call on Friday afternoon. They seemed very happy with their decision to hold off on warning criteria for the city and metro area until re-evaluating tomorrow and possibly into Monday and I couldn't agree more.

The NAM at least gets us up into the mid-upper 90s Monday before storms blast through late in the day (another NE to SW oriented QLCS develops early/mid-afternoon between Green Bay and Milwaukee and propagates ESE).

So lets go for no morning MCS/cloud debris please. At least the NMM is all clear so far Monday morning (no MCS or mid-level moisture, but convection can be so hard to pin down. NAM's also all clear as Sunday night's MCS dives through WI into IL.

And, as long as that action doesn't produce power outages, that should be a relief, given how many are rueing the upcoming heat wave.

Okay, so I was looking at the 18z GFS....

Shouldn't have bothered.... only depressed me further. Heat makes me sick, literally, physically ill. I am not going to enjoy the next 14 days at all.

Relief does not look like it shows up until the end of the run, August 1st. The 850s are anywhere from 24C and above for the next 14 days. Obviously, things will change (hopefully) between now and Aug 1st, but it made for depressing viewing. Any system that moves through, rotates around the top of the ridge, in Central Canada. Hopefully, the models change their tune and shows at least one of those systems coming down, and pushing the heat out sooner that Aug 1. It looks like a trough develops over the eastern 1/3 of the CONUS and pushes the heat back further west, which only means, when trough moves out, the heat moves back in, end of the 1st week of Aug, maybe?

New NAM argues otherwise, showing an obviously very uncertain convection forecast, and consequently temp forecast for Mon.

The NAM at least gets us up into the mid-upper 90s Monday before storms blast through late in the day (another NE to SW oriented QLCS develops early/mid-afternoon between Green Bay and Milwaukee and propagates ESE).

So lets go for no morning MCS/cloud debris please. At least the NMM is all clear so far Monday morning (no MCS or mid-level moisture, but convection can be so hard to pin down. NAM's also all clear as Sunday night's MCS dives through WI into IL.

New NAM argues otherwise, showing an obviously very uncertain convection forecast, and consequently temp forecast for Mon.

I've been burned so many times by the NAM, whether it be snow or rain events. It's hard to take verbatim until within 24 hours. Just consider how it only recently started showing these MCS' this morning. The GFS was the first to catch on. It seems like the GFS hangs the low around the Western GL longer than the most recent NAM, fwiw.

Who'd want to take any model verbatim anyways?

I've been burned so many times by the NAM, whether it be snow or rain events. It's hard to take verbatim until within 24 hours. Just consider how it only recently started showing these MCS' this morning. The GFS was the first to catch on. It seems like the GFS hangs the low around the Western GL longer than the most recent NAM, fwiw.

Should be one of the hottest Julys on record at Detroit. The record is 79.0, set in 1955 and 1921. Currently, the month to date is 77.1, which would be the fifth warmest on record. With the current NWS point-click forecast, that could be 78.9 by the end of Saturday, which would be third warmest on record.

Chicago, Rockford, Cleveland, Toledo, and Mansfield (OH) all appear to be on track for top five warmest Julys too, unless an unexpected cooldown occurs before the end of the month.

You did nothing wrong, don't let the troll ruin it for ya. If you read back in his posts, you can tell he does nothing but troll the board. His newest one is trashing LOT in the heat wave thread.

[/quot

ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT 0 MDw

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

1100 AM CDT SAT JUL 16 2011

ILZ014-170615-

COOK-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHICAGO

1100 AM CDT SAT JUL 16 2011

REST OF TODAY

PARTLY SUNNY. A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF LIGHT

SHOWERS IN THE LATE MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE

LOWER 80S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS LATE IN THE MORNING BECOMING

EAST AROUND 10 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.

actual high as per Chi Storm

90 MDW

89 ORD

and who can forget the June 30 fiasco. Not trolling posting facts. Not my job to be an ass kisser like you>:snowman:

First, let me say nothing but total respect for your opinions and input to the board.

Please review there call for high temps on Friday July 1,2011 and actuals. Major bust. There calls on temps and sky cover have been atrocious this summer. The job is to make a call. Forecasting a 20% chance of Thunderstorms and maybe mid-90 s doesn"t get it done. Hell..Aleking forecasts on this board better....It is a fact.

Note..i was not commenting on the near future but rather recent past performance.

First, let me say nothing but total respect for your opinions and input to the board.

Please review there call for high temps on Friday July 1,2011 and actuals. Major bust. There calls on temps and sky cover have been atrocious this summer. The job is to make a call. Forecasting a 20% chance of Thunderstorms and maybe mid-90 s doesn"t get it done. Hell..Aleking forecasts on this board better....It is a fact.

Note..i was not commenting on the near future but rather recent past performance.

It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. Forecasting temps in the summer, especially when you sit on the ring of fire like we have all summer, is among the ultimate of crapshoots. I'm interning at a private firm for clients and have found this out, sometimes the hard way. It is a bear, and I dare anyone who thinks they can do better than LOT to issue a seven-day forecast for a specific site around here, on this board, and verify it day by day. Good luck.

It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. Forecasting temps in the summer, especially when you sit on the ring of fire like we have all summer, is among the ultimate of crapshoots. I'm interning at a private firm for clients and have found this out, sometimes the hard way. It is a bear, and I dare anyone who thinks they can do better than LOT to issue a seven-day forecast for a specific site around here, on this board, and verify it day by day. Good luck.

Yeah anyone saying it is easy doesn't know what they are talking about, especially with a pattern like this among many variables such as convection/clouds/mixing/the lake, just to name a few.

Alright, here's my take on high temps for LAF from Sunday through Friday. A couple of these days early on have rather significant bust potential due to possible clouds/storms.

Sun: 90

Mon: 90

Tue: 92

Wed: 94

Thu: 94

Fri: 95

As I said earlier, I expect daily dewpoints in the 75-80 range and some brief spikes above 80 are not out of the question.

You're right, it's not easy, especially when there are complicating factors. So, that being said, let me toss my hat in the ring.

ORD

Sun: 92

Mon: 92

Tue: 93

Wed: 93

Thu: 94

Fri: 95

Archived