Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
July Heat Wave Obs/Discussion

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like an impressive (and oppressive) heatwave for sure. Especially in the Dakotas. Further east in MN, IA, and WI, it appears there will be plenty of moisture/precip around, which could help temper things somewhat. The 850 temps certainly look ridiculous in places, but the rain may keep this from being anything historic. I'm sure the humidity will make things feel awful, though.

post-558-0-30587300-1310741036.gif

Looks like an impressive (and oppressive) heatwave for sure. Especially in the Dakotas. Further east in MN, IA, and WI, it appears there will be plenty of moisture/precip around, which could help temper things somewhat. The 850 temps certainly look ridiculous in places, but the rain may keep this from being anything historic. I'm sure the humidity will make things feel awful, though.

I think oppressive is a good word. I did a quick check of 100° days at MSP in the last three decades. Basically they broke down into three situations: drought (especially '88), pre-frontal (like the 103 earlier this year), or a mega-ridge (1995). It doesn't really seem like we are talking '95 here, so I'd guess that a disgusting mid-upper 90s with mid-upper 70s dews regime is in store up there. Disgusting.

GFS suggesting no reprieve from the heatwave next weekend, with another surge beginning late next weekend (i.e, most locations taken verbatim would see 10-12 days of 90+ weather), not too different from the 00Z Euro.

It looked like there was a cold front in the northern plains at 180 hours. The lower resolution of the long-range GFS must have truncated that feature. So I'd be a little skeptical of that depiction.

I'm not saying that there will be relief, just that the GFS depiction seems a little questionable. Personally, I expect temps to remain hot right through the end of the month, with only very minor and brief relief. To me, this just looks like a stagnant, blocked-up weather pattern, so I don't see much change until mid-August.

GFS suggesting no reprieve from the heatwave next weekend, with another surge beginning late next weekend (i.e, most locations taken verbatim would see 10-12 days of 90+ weather), not too different from the 00Z Euro.

I'd take the 12z GFS in a heartbeat over last nights euro. Like I said in the other thread I could be reading the GFS wrong tho :arrowhead:

The whole run is warm, with a ridge staying in place.

THis looks like it's going to be pretty prolonged. I'm expecting many days of highs 92-97 and dewpoints 75-80. I think it will be remembered more for the duration rather than any extreme/record breaking temps at least in my backyard, although the Euro is still suggesting temps near 100. I got burned on a Euro mid range torch last summer so a little more caution this time. Will be nasty either way.

This Afternoon: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. East wind around 10 mph.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 68. East southeast wind around 5 mph.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming east northeast between 5 and 10 mph.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 73. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southwest.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 76.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 90.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 76.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 89.

Tuesday Night: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 75.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 89.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 80.

Thursday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 90.

LM FTW

THis looks like it's going to be pretty prolonged. I'm expecting many days of highs 92-97 and dewpoints 75-80. I think it will be remembered more for the duration rather than any extreme/record breaking temps at least in my backyard, although the Euro is still suggesting temps near 100. I got burned on a Euro mid range torch last summer so a little more caution this time. Will be nasty either way.

Both Euro and GFS have been running too warm in the mid/long range, so they are probably too warm verbatim once you get past day 4. But there is no doubt it does look like a prolonged period of heat/high humidity for the Midwest.

This Afternoon: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. East wind around 10 mph.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 68. East southeast wind around 5 mph.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming east northeast between 5 and 10 mph.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 73. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southwest.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 76.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 90.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 76.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 89.

Tuesday Night: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 75.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 89.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 80.

Thursday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 90.

LM FTW

I'd take 90 right now. My car thermometer read 88 at 7AM this morning. Help.

You get text data right? Can you tell about how high you're mixing?

2M temp is 35.9 at 18z.

Have to see exactly what the sounding shows when it's out within the next 2 hours or so.

0z run had 850's a bit cooler with a similar 2M temp, and the data maps showed highs of 100F+... Mixing was up to around 825mb.

So I'd expect it to be similar on the 12z.

The only real difference between the two runs is that the 0z run was showing the highest temp potential on Wednesday, while the 12z run is Thursday. Wednesday is still toasty on the 12z though, with 850's running between 23-25C.

While I have it handy, here's LAF data...

12Z JUL15
                2 M     850     SFC     SFC     700    6 HR     500    1000 
                TMP     TMP     PRS     RHU     RHU     QPF     HGT     500 
                (C)     (C)    (MB)    (PCT)   (PCT)   (IN)    (DM)     THK     
TUE 18Z 19-JUL  33.1    21.8    1011      58      54    0.02     594     584    
WED 00Z 20-JUL  31.8    22.4    1009      69      63    0.01     593     585    
WED 06Z 20-JUL  27.3    23.3    1009      86      61    0.01     592     584    
WED 12Z 20-JUL  27.8    24.6    1008      75      74    0.01     591     584    
WED 18Z 20-JUL  34.7    25.1    1008      56      50    0.06     593     586    
THU 00Z 21-JUL  32.8    24.0    1007      68      49    0.00     592     586    
THU 06Z 21-JUL  26.4    24.9    1008      92      37    0.00     592     585    
THU 12Z 21-JUL  26.8    24.5    1009      92      54    0.00     592     584    
THU 18Z 21-JUL  36.0    24.6    1008      51      38    0.00     593     586    
FRI 00Z 22-JUL  35.4    26.2    1007      54      58    0.00     593     588     

Most next week looking like just the weak jalapeno poppers appetizer until the main Habanero/Scotch Bonnet poppers arrive late week and rolls on to kill all our intestines. Nice knowing you y'all's

Only people saved will be those packed in on the alek and saukville micro climates

Most next week looking like just the weak jalapeno poppers appetizer until the main Habanero/Scotch Bonnet poppers arrive late week and roll on to kill all our intestines. Nice knowing you y'all's

Lol; now I know what not to try at Mexican restaurants. If anyone wants a reminder of why the heat isn't so bad (unless you work in it), watch the 3rd round of the British Open tomorrow morning. It will basically be a 360 from what we're expecting next week.

Archived