• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
July Heat Wave Obs/Discussion

01/00z NAM says 110s for KC, Wichita, Tulsa, and OKC on Tuesday, and almost that for DFW. On Wednesday, a small 115 F isotherm shows up near Tulsa. All-time record highs coulde in jeopardy at these sites over the next few days.

For reference, here are all-time record maxima for the primary reporting stations in the affected area:

MCI 113 F (1936-08-14)

ICT 114 F (1936-08-12)

OKC 113 F (1936-08-11)

TUL 115 F (1936-08-10)

FSM 113 F (1936-08-10)

DFW 112 F (1936-08-11, 1936-08-18)

Sites like Salina and Wichita Falls are also likely to break 110 F, but their records are quite a bit higher (118 F and 117 F, respectively), so less likely to be threatened.

If I had to guess which site has the bet shot, my money is on FSM, followed by ICT and OKC.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congradulations.

Today is hot.

Well we were so close, we might as well get the record and all. And it has felt every bit the hottest July-this month has sucked. The only good thing is that at least here where I am we have gotten heavy rainfalls at just the right intervals-about every week or so. I know CMH is close to 6 inches of rain for the month, but we have had more than that here I am sure. Heaviest rain of the season for us I think just a few days ago. At least I do not have to be out watering plants everyday in the heat.

I have also been ill most of this month, and the heat has been making it much worse for me. I am not a fan of fall weather, but now I cannot wait! :)

Hell on earth. Just took a random point and click from the southern Plains, but the "coolest" low temp forecasted for Wichita Falls in the next 7 days is 83º. :axe:

NWS Norman, OK

Point Forecast: 2 Miles NNE Wichita Falls TX

33.93°N 98.51°W

Last Update: 6:01 am CDT Aug 1, 2011

Forecast Valid: 10am CDT Aug 1, 2011-6pm CDT Aug 7, 2011

Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 107. South southwest wind between 6 and 9 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 83. South southwest wind around 7 mph.

Tuesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 111. South southwest wind around 7 mph.

Tuesday Night: Clear, with a low around 84. South wind around 9 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 110. South southwest wind around 9 mph.

Wednesday Night: Clear, with a low around 84.

Thursday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 111.

Thursday Night: Clear, with a low around 84.

Friday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 108.

Friday Night: Clear, with a low around 85.

Saturday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 108.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 84.

Sunday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 108.

Warmest Month on Record Set for Detroit in July

DETROIT

July 2011 was the warmest month on record for Detroit. The average temperature for July 2011 was 79.2 degrees. The previous record for July and the warmest month all time was 79.0 degrees set in 1955 and 1921. Detroit's records go back to 1874.

Another way to look at the heat in July 2011 is by the number of 90 degree days. Detroit recorded 14 in July 2011 which is the second most 90 degree days for any month. The record is July 1955 with seventeen 90 degree days. Of course July 2011 also had six days with a high temperatures of 89 degrees!

As of July 31, Detroit has had 36 days in a row of high temperatures of 80 degrees or above. This is the second longest streak in Detroit's records. In 1955 there was a 42 day streak which ended on August 7, 1955.

Flint

July 2011 was the third warmest July and the third warmest month all time on record for Flint. The average temperature for July 2011 was 76.8. The record is 78.0 set in July 1921. Flint also recorded fourteen 90 degree days in July. This is tied for the 7th most 90 degree days in a month. The record is 20 set in July 1921. Flint has had 32 days in a row of high temperatures at 80 degrees or warmer. This is the 7th longest streak for Flint. The record is 54 days which ended on August 10, 1931.

Saginaw

July 2011 was the fourth warmest July and the fourth warmest month all time on record for Saginaw. The average temperature for July 2011 was 76.1. The record is 77.5 set in July 1921.

Warmest Month on Record Set for Detroit in July

DETROIT

Another way to look at the heat in July 2011 is by the number of 90 degree days. Detroit recorded 14 in July 2011 which is the second most 90 degree days for any month. The record is July 1955 with seventeen 90 degree days. Of course July 2011 also had six days with a high temperatures of 89 degrees!

Grrrrrrr :arrowhead::P

The 80*+ high streak looks like it could easily be broken though...

TUL reached 110 F for the first time since 1996 as of this hour.

FSM did as well, and based on a cursory glance, it may be their first since 1954.

A fairly large portion of E OK has topped out at 110-111 F today, with various Mesonet sites tying or breaking their all-time records (most have been in commission since 1994).

NAM 2m temperatures for tomorrow are generally 3-5 F higher than today for the entire region. A cold front pushes into N OK and N AR by Wednesday afternoon, but immediately ahead of it the NAM continues to show values 4-8 F higher than today, with a 115 F isotherm encompassing areas near I-40 and I-44 in the eastern half of OK.

TUL reached 110 F for the first time since 1996 as of this hour.

FSM did as well, and based on a cursory glance, it may be their first since 1954.

A fairly large portion of E OK has topped out at 110-111 F today, with various Mesonet sites tying or breaking their all-time records (most have been in commission since 1994).

NAM 2m temperatures for tomorrow are generally 3-5 F higher than today for the entire region. A cold front pushes into N OK and N AR by Wednesday afternoon, but immediately ahead of it the NAM continues to show values 4-8 F higher than today, with a 115 F isotherm encompassing areas near I-40 and I-44 in the eastern half of OK.

107 here in Joplin right now. Low tonight around 80. This is miserable.

115 is our all-time high I believe.

107 here in Joplin right now. Low tonight around 80. This is miserable.

115 is our all-time high I believe.

108 F was your official high per SGF. That is just staggering to me, being that you're so far east and have to put up with greater low-level moisture compared to the I-35 corridor.

I think it's becoming clear that the four-state region, down toward FSM and back SW to around Chandler and Seminole, will steal the show with this heat wave. Relative to normals and existing records, especially. Hard to imagine some all-time records won't fall in that area.

Anyone care to do a mini forecasting contest for tomorrow and Wednesday's numbers? Here's mine, subject to change after the 00z runs.

Site / Tue / Wed

ICT / 113 / 102

OKC / 110 / 112

TUL / 112 / 115

FSM / 111 / 113

Doubt it.

At least not through the next week, which is all that matters when it comes to breaking the all-time record of days consistently above 80*F.

Tomorrow's our only chance if you believe some models and/or if convection comes through during the morning hours and keep the warm front at bay to our SW.

Either way, a top 20 hottest summer is pretty much a lock, unless some freak cold air outbreak happens in the second half of August.

NWS Wichita...their point-and-click is predicting a high of 113 today.

DISCUSSION...

TODAY-THURSDAY:

MAIN CHALLENGE WILL BE TEMPERATURES AND PRECIPITATION CHANCES

ASSOCIATED WITH A WEAK SOUTHWARD MOVING COLD FRONTAL BOUNDARY. A

SHORTWAVE TROF WAS MOVING NORTHEAST INTO SOUTH CENTRAL CANADA EARLY

THIS MORNING...HELPING TO REINFORCE AN UPPER LOW DURING THE PERIOD.

THE ASSOCIATED FRONT WILL MOVE SOUTHWARD INTO CENTRAL KS LATE THIS

PM BEFORE MOVING INTO SOUTHERN KS BY LATE TONIGHT. AHEAD OF THE

FRONT...EXTREME HEAT WILL CONTINUE. FULL SUN...A WARM

START...SOUTHWESTERLY DOWNSLOPE WINDS/COMPRESSIONAL WARMING...AND

VERY HIGH 850 TEMPERATURES OF 30-32 CELSIUS WILL CONTRIBUTE TO

RECORD HEAT TODAY FOR MOST OF THE AREA. WICHITA WILL BE CHALLENGING

ITS ALL TIME RECORD HIGH OF 114 SET IN 1936. THERE WILL BE SMALL

CHANCES FOR THUNDERSTORMS LATE TODAY/TONIGHT IN CENTRAL KS...MAINLY

POST-FRONTAL WHERE HIGH PRECIPITABLE WATER AXIS WILL RESIDE. MOST OF

THE MODELS AGREE THE FRONT WILL BE OVER SOUTHERN KS NEAR THE

OKLAHOMA BORDER WEDNESDAY...BEFORE OSCILLATING SLIGHTLY NORTHWARD

THURSDAY. A WEAK SUBTROPICAL IMPULSE IS PROGGED TO MOVE AROUND THE

RIDGE ACROSS NORTHERN KS LATE WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY. THIS COULD

ASSIST WITH SCATTERED THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT (AGAIN MAINLY

POST-FRONTAL) IN CENTRAL KS. VERY HOT TEMPERATURES (102-108) COULD

CONTINUE OVER SOUTH CENTRAL/SOUTHEAST KS WEDNESDAY-THURSDAY

ALONG/SOUTH OF THE FRONT. PLANNING TO MAINTAIN EXCESSIVE HEAT

WARNING THRU WEDNESDAY...WHILE EXTENDING IT INTO THURSDAY IN THE

SOUTH.

This morning's low in Tulsa was only 86F. If this holds, it would tie for the 2nd highest min on record for any day.

87F (07/16/1980)

86F (08/01/1980)

86F (08/16/1909)

Another day, another record. It looks like this morning's low temp in Tulsa was only 87F, tying its all-time record high min.

87F (08/02/2011)

87F (07/16/1980)

86F (08/01/2011)

86F (08/01/1980)

86F (08/16/1909)

lol. But the 89-degree high thing is really nothing new, though. Its not as if 89s are any more or less common now than, say, 50 years ago.

As for the two hottest months....When comparing July 1955 and July 2011 exactly (July 1921 was a mean temp of 79.0, while July 1955 actually was 79.1, so it should have been July 1955 alone, not a tie between the two, for previous hottest month), the two are VERY VERY similar. Though 1955 does get the SLIGHT edge (by 0.3F) for hotter high temps.

................JULY 1955...........JULY 2011

Avg temp..........79.1.................79.3

Avg high...........89.6.................89.3

Avg low............68.5.................69.3

85F+ days.........27....................27

high 89F days.....3......................6

90F+ days........17....................14

95F+ days.........5......................5

100F days.........1......................1

low 70F+ days....17...................15

low 75F+ days....2......................4

There was ONE big difference, though. Rain. July 1955 is the 9th driest July on record (1.10") while July 2011 is the 2nd wettest July on record (7.66") for Detroit.

lol. But the 89-degree high thing is really nothing new, though. Its not as if 89s are any more or less common now than, say, 50 years ago.

As for the two hottest months....When comparing July 1955 and July 2011 exactly (July 1921 was a mean temp of 79.0, while July 1955 actually was 79.1, so it should have been July 1955 alone, not a tie between the two, for previous hottest month), the two are VERY VERY similar. Though 1955 does get the SLIGHT edge (by 0.3F) for hotter high temps.

................JULY 1955...........JULY 2011

Avg temp..........79.1.................79.3

Avg high...........89.6.................89.3

Avg low............68.5.................69.3

85F+ days.........27....................27

high 89F days.....3......................6

90F+ days........17....................14

95F+ days.........5......................5

100F days.........1......................1

low 70F+ days....17...................15

low 75F+ days....2......................4

There was ONE big difference, though. Rain. July 1955 is the 9th driest July on record (1.10") while July 2011 is the 2nd wettest July on record (7.66") for Detroit.

July 1955 was 79.0. I downloaded the data from the Utah Climate Center website and it came out to an average of 79.04839, which rounds to 79.0. The NWS uses the exact monthly average high and low, when calculating the mean, not the rounded number. The avg high was 89.64516 and avg low was 68.45161.

Here was the final rankings for July 2011. It was the hottest month on record in Texas, Oklahoma, and Delaware. Much above normal in an additional 31 states. I don't know how this ranks nationally. The State of the Climate report hasn't been released... I actually found this image on the NWS ILN website, not off of NCDC.

temperatures_conus.png

The state record 88 degree dewpoint outside of Moorhead, MN has been confirmed.

http://www.startribune.com/local/126887313.html

The Moorhead mark was questioned at first because the measuring device was in a soybean field, an extremely humid environment at the height of the growing season. The official National Weather Service reading at the time at the airport in neighboring Fargo was 83.

But assistant DNR state climatologist Pete Boulay said once the device was determined to be accurate, the record was easy to acknowledge. "The old record was in a similar situation, so it wasn't hard to make that leap," he said.

Technically, 2011 was 4th as 1934 was .04 degrees warmer (77.00 vs. 76.96).

Well, we don't have the capability of correctly ascertaining temperatures to the hundredths column, so it's kind of silly to pretend we do.

Well, we don't have the capability of correctly ascertaining temperatures to the hundredths column, so it's kind of silly to pretend we do.

That's what the official temperature listings are for those months, though. The tie-breaker goes to 1934. I was only mentioning it because someone pointed it out to me on another forum. Like I said, it's only a technical difference, but it does affect the rankings.

NCDC went with 4th in the State of the Climate, so that's the official ranking.

The average U.S. temperature in July was 77.0 degrees F (25.0 degrees C), which is 2.7 degrees F (1.5 degrees C) above the long-term (1901-2000) average, resulting the fourth warmest July and the fourth warmest month on record. Precipitation, averaged across the nation, was 2.46 inches (62.5 mm). This was 0.32 inch (8.1 mm) below the long-term average, with large variability between regions.

Archived