Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
July Heat Wave Obs/Discussion

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this rate this will be one of Detroit's top 3 hottest summers on record (it should easily surpass 2010).

Today could be interesting though. May be another overachiever temperature wise if the convective debris holds off to the north and west (mid 90s). Also could see some convection off the outflows from storms out west if the return flow can kick in soon enough.

WAYYY too early to assume such a thing. We have all of August (not to mention the rest of July) to get through, and Deedlers early thoughts were summer would start warmer than normal and end cooler than normal.

High temps at LAF since the heat wave started...

Sunday: 93º

Monday: 94º

Tuesday: 97º

Wednesday: 98º

Thursday: 101º

Friday: 98º

Obviously today and tomorrow are locks (mid to upper 90's), but what happens Mon and/or Tue will be the decider as to how long this 90+ streak goes on. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 90 both days: 1) 850 temps still in the low 20's both days on the 0z GFS, 2) little to no chance of storms "ruining" the day, 3) it's LAF ;) . Nonetheless, a historic streak of 90+ temps for LAF is underway...when it stops nobody knows... :axe:

24hr RUC has the QC up near 100 again tomorrow afternoon with 850mb temps around 23C. I think we may make another run at the upper 90s if the clouds/lingering precip stay away.

Edit: Dewpoint up to 77 now. Feels pretty mucky out there even though it's only 86.

Don't think we're gonna make a run at 100 today now. Still 69 at 11am lol. Probably won't even come close to 90.

WAYYY too early to assume such a thing. We have all of August (not to mention the rest of July) to get through, and Deedlers early thoughts were summer would start warmer than normal and end cooler than normal.

Which is why I said "at this rate."

Granted there's no sign in the near future (next 2 weeks) of any cool down of significance to wipe out the warmth we've for the lion's share of this summer (except for mid-June).

Deedler has had some fails before.

from his his Mid-Summer Update ...

I have decided to up my temperature departure for the summer to 1 1/2 to 3 degrees above normal. As far as 90 degree days, I originally went 8-12 days for the entire region. I will also boost that to 11-15 for the Detroit and Flint areas but remain with the original projection for the Saginaw Valley region

Further Out>>>

It will be interesting to see if the pattern of the analogues which showed the cooler (relative to normal) part of the summer coming in the second half. If that does occur, and usually the analogue projections are better at the overall pattern than their numerical departures, then August should contain closer to normal or possibly below temperatures. We shall see.

This summer was tough to forecast anyway between the fickle conditions in the Pacific, the lack of significant blocking in SE Canada/Greenland and the record breaking drought in the SW.

There was bound to be some busts in the predictions, it could have went either way with all the conflicting signals we had. And it still can, but I think it's safe to say this summer nationwide will be no worse than average.

Which is why I said "at this rate."

Granted there's no sign in the near future (next 2 weeks) of any cool down of significance to wipe out the warmth we've for the lion's share of this summer (except for mid-June).

To add to this, I'm sure we're not too far off from the number of 80*F+ days we had in Summer 2010 (other than a few days in mid-June, it's been at/above 80*F), which was also IIRC the 4th warmest summer on record. Thing is this season's has had far more extreme/frequent heat waves/bursts than 2010, because we haven't had to worry about too many days with convective debris fooking everything up, even today we did well despite some convective debris. Even just counting the 80*F+ days alone we've surpassed 2010 on that mark (while forgetting the 80*F+ highs this year in May/April and the 80*F+ highs during 2010 in May/April), and to date. And we've simply blown it out of water if you factor in the 90*F+ days to date (excluding the 100*F reading this year). This year so far has panned out for us like a hybrid 1995/1988.

So again, as I said, it's not far fetched at all to say if things were to continue at this approximate rate heatwise that we're looking at a top 3 hottest summer. But again, I as admitted August could bring us some surprises. Granted, all it needs is a +2 departure to tie with 1955 (3rd warmest) at this point, because I doubt we see any major change with July's mean temperature (if anything, it may go up tenth of a degree or two).

BTW, just did some quick math. If Detroit's summer ended right now, it would tie for the hottest summer on record.

BTW, just did some quick math. If Detroit's summer ended right now, it would tie for the hottest summer on record.

You could say this about most summers if you took out the end month and half. August/Early September are warm normally but typically not as warm as July.

You could say this about most summers if you took out the end month and half. August/Early September are warm normally but typically not as warm as July.

Even more impressive is when you look at those 90+ days, almost half are 95+ days.

Another thing to keep in mind about hottest summers, is that overnight lows play an almost more important role than extreme heat. When you start to get a lot of "seemingly typical" 85 degree days but the lows are around 72, it really is no different than a 93/64 day back in 1955.

Even if August ends up with a -2*F departure it would still make the top 20 list (15th hottest) , and it would tie for a top 10 hottest if it has a -1*F departure. All we'll need for a top 5 hottest is a +1.2*F departure.

Either way July would have done the lion's share of the work though with an impressive mean temperature of roughly 79.2*F, which looks to be the hottest on record.

To add to this, I'm sure we're not too far off from the number of 80*F+ days we had in Summer 2010 (other than a few days in mid-June, it's been at/above 80*F), which was also IIRC the 4th warmest summer on record. Thing is this season's has had far more extreme/frequent heat waves/bursts than 2010, because we haven't had to worry about too many days with convective debris fooking everything up, even today we did well despite some convective debris. Even just counting the 80*F+ days alone we've surpassed 2010 on that mark (while forgetting the 80*F+ highs this year in May/April and the 80*F+ highs during 2010 in May/April), and to date. And we've simply blown it out of water if you factor in the 90*F+ days to date (excluding the 100*F reading this year). This year so far has panned out for us like a hybrid 1995/1988.

So again, as I said, it's not far fetched at all to say if things were to continue at this approximate rate heatwise that we're looking at a top 3 hottest summer. But again, I as admitted August could bring us some surprises. Granted, all it needs is a +2 departure to tie with 1955 (3rd warmest) at this point, because I doubt we see any major change with July's mean temperature (if anything, it may go up tenth of a degree or two).

Thru 7/23 we have seen 49 days of 80F+ in 2011, in 2010 we saw 51 days thru 7/23 hit 80+, and in 2009 we saw just 24 days of 80F+ thru 7/23. In 2009 the entire year saw just 59 days of 80F+, well below normal, followed by a well above normal 95 days in 2010 (which wasnt too far at all from the record of 99 days set in 1977). Im counting all 80F days for the year btw.

This is really different than 1995 or 1988 though. This has been a warm summer with one hell of a heatwave. The thing about summer 1995, along with some hot days, was the ridiculous humidity and overnight lows, far worse than this summer. The stifling heatwaves of 1988 make this summer nowhere near that camp, at least yet.

Today looks like the tri-state's (OK/AR/MO) version of what central and western OK experienced on 7/9: highs rivaling the hottest days of the past 10-15 years. At 2pm, KTUL reads 107 F. However, convection has already initiated around the Tulsa metro area, so 110 F may be a stretch.

And so it ends at 7 days. The 90º+ streak dies today for LAF...well unless LAF has 9 degrees in it in the next hour or two. ;)

Sunday: 93º

Monday: 94º

Tuesday: 97º

Wednesday: 98º

Thursday: 101º

Friday: 98º

Saturday: 95º

But a new one begins this week...

Could use another torch...hell, lets make it last through October to super heat the lakes.

F yeah! Lets see how many heat related deaths we can total! Popcorn picnics in the corn fields! Lake Erie one big fish boil! Burn out every golf course in Indiana and have Frisbee golf only!

Lets throw in another Katrina for ****s and giggles to.

Archived