• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Hurricane Thread

snowNH

What could be the highest CAT to hit NE you think? A 3?

Since the 12z CMC brought a close one today, why not start a thread...

I want a CAT 4 barreling up the Coast!

Tell stories of past hurricanes in NE and talk about future ones.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably a low end cat 4

As long as it's name isn't Gloria.

1635 redux....high end cat3 borderline 4. I think that is the apex, suppose anything is possible though.

Not only that, but perhaps more importantly Sep and Oct leaves them more prone to detrimental mid latitude unfluences...such as dry air and westerlies.

meh....most of the infamous hurricanes in New England history have struck during September.

September might actually be more favorable with respect to synoptic influences...you can get more baroclinic enhancement as the storm moves north.

meh....most of the infamous hurricanes in New England history have struck during September.

September might actually be more favorable with respect to synoptic influences...you can get more baroclinic enhancement as the storm moves north.

1635 and Carol are two of the top five historically. Going outside of the "historic" landfalls, I think you have a point, September seems to have the most activity.

1635 and Carol are two of the top five historically. Going outside of the "historic" landfalls, I think you have a point, September seems to have the most activity.

I think getting a favorable synoptic setup for a landfall in September is a bit easier than in August with a better chance of getting a deep/strong cut-off from the Great Lakes into the OH River Valley.

That said if something like that were to occur in August with a hurricane rounding the bend in August you conceivably could get a low-end cat 4 with strong baroclinic enhancement and warm SSTs.

I think getting a favorable synoptic setup for a landfall in September is a bit easier than in August with a better chance of getting a deep/strong cut-off from the Great Lakes into the OH River Valley.

That said if something like that were to occur in August with a hurricane rounding the bend in August you conceivably could get a low-end cat 4 with strong baroclinic enhancement and warm SSTs.

What is the SST difference between August and September in the general area south of SNE?

Here is the list of New England/NY hurricane landfalls from HRD/AOML

Sep 1858 Cat 1

Sep 1869 Cat 3

Aug 1893 Cat 1

Sep 1896 Cat 1

Jul 1916 Cat 1

Sep 1938 Cat 3

Aug 1954 Cat 3

Sep 1954 Cat 3

Sep 1960 Cat 2

Jul 1972 Cat 1

Sep 1985 Cat 3

Aug 1991 Cat 2

4 of the 5 majors affected New England in September

7 of the 12 hurricanes affected New England in September

Gloria is still listed as a major in this list, but as most know, it is likely that it wasn't a major when it made landfall in Long Island.

Archived