• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Hurricane Thread

snowNH

You are correct, if Blizzie wants a major cane, than thats fine, I just think he is kidding since he is a proud father and homeowner, and the chance of losing things that he has worked so hard for is pretty good. In south carolina it was the storm surge, up here the devestation would be inland, tree damage, it would be unbelievable. Its a sensitive subject as I am from SC, Kevin I apologize, if thats truly what you want then I hope your dreams come true.

I remember feeling the same way in Bermuda...when Igor was coming and was a Cat 3 at the time...I've always wanted to be hit by a hurricane...but when it was coming...I had that oh ****...do I really want this?

Then it weakened to a minimal Cat 1 and I felt a bit better about it...still...it was a bit scary while at the weather service in the eastern eyewall at midnight.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, but the majority of the structuaral damage would be limited to the coastal communities. One thing I am curious of, is how much more forested are we now as compared to the 1930's. I'd have to imagine given our focus on nature conservation we are far more forested now. That would most certainly present electrical grid problems as you stated on the magnitude that we haven't seen before.

If something like a '38 storm hit, you'd have structural damage potentially throughout SNE. I don't mean houses mowed down...but roof damage no doubt.

Where would the most prolific flooding and storm surge be here in new england say a cat two or low end three came up into HVN.........southern ri, buzzards bay, providence se mass?

well traditionally you end up with those locations you listed feeling the surge, but often times very little rainfall, while someone like MRG is building an ark.

I remember feeling the same way in Bermuda...when Igor was coming and was a Cat 3 at the time...I've always wanted to be hit by a hurricane...but when it was coming...I had that oh ****...do I really want this?

Then it weakened to a minimal Cat 1 and I felt a bit better about it...still...it was a bit scary while at the weather service in the eastern eyewall at midnight.

I remember the sound of the wind in our dorm room, they were concrete structures, the whisting sound was really creepy, along with the sound of carolina pines snapping half way up. At our location sustained winds were only high end tropical force, with gusts to around 80 I believe. Surveying the damage with the marine biology majors and helping out down around pawleys island south towards Georgetown and McClellanville, I can not ever imagine riding a storm like that out. The storm surge carried large shrimp boats all the way to highway 17, and ripped hundreds of homes from the barrier islands and deposited them into the marsh between the beach and highway 17. There was much speculation about numerous tornadoes hitting the pawleys island area as Hugo came ashore.

If something like a '38 storm hit, you'd have structural damage potentially throughout SNE. I don't mean houses mowed down...but roof damage no doubt.

you can parse through the EF scale to try to figure out what damage would be like...you'd lose complete house due to surge near the coast...you'd lose mobile homes...and you might lose exterior walls on homes in the worst hit areas.

You are correct, if Blizzie wants a major cane, than thats fine, I just think he is kidding since he is a proud father and homeowner, and the chance of losing things that he has worked so hard for is pretty good. In south carolina it was the storm surge, up here the devestation would be inland, tree damage, it would be unbelievable. Its a sensitive subject as I am from SC, Kevin I apologize, if thats truly what you want then I hope your dreams come true.

I would probably lose my house or a part of it since it would be crushed by the falling Oaks that surround it. That said I very much would like to see a storm with the power of a 1938 storm come thru again. Not wishing harm or destruction on anyone..but from my own weather fanatical point of view..I would love to see it

I would probably lose my house or a part of it since it would be crushed by the falling Oaks that surround it. That said I very much would like to see a storm with the power of a 1938 storm come thru again. Not wishing harm or destruction on anyone..but from my own weather fanatical point of view..I would love to see it

I think we all would like to see it, but yeah as home owners...we don't want to deal with the damage it causes. There's nothing wrong with saying we want to see it. It's human nature to be fascinated by awe, and this is enhanced as weather enthusiasts.

Agreed, but the majority of the structuaral damage would be limited to the coastal communities. One thing I am curious of, is how much more forested are we now as compared to the 1930's. I'd have to imagine given our focus on nature conservation we are far more forested now. That would most certainly present electrical grid problems as you stated on the magnitude that we haven't seen before.

Significantly so at least in CT. In 1900 Connecticut was 20% forested. Today it's 60%.

So I think it's fair to say from 1938 to present most areas are probably twice as forested as before. Also there has been substantial sprawl into more rural and suburban areas where large sums of people live near and in densely forested areas. People like their trees, like their privacy, and fight like hell when the power company tries to trim a tree hanging over power lines.

Debris removal, power infrastructure, and trees blocking roads and leaving many areas inaccessible for 1 week+ is going to be an absolute nightmare in SNE.

Where would the most prolific flooding and storm surge be here in new england say a cat two or low end three came up into HVN.........southern ri, buzzards bay, providence se mass?

Buzzards Bay is probably the most vulnerable and has been relatively lucky in the last 100 years.

Other areas... even inland... on rivers like the Connecticut, Quinnipiac, and Thames in CT are extremely vulnerable to a combination of surge and fresh water flooding that would be devastating.

Significantly so at least in CT. In 1900 Connecticut was 20% forested. Today it's 60%.

So I think it's fair to say from 1938 to present most areas are probably twice as forested as before. Also there has been substantial sprawl into more rural and suburban areas where large sums of people live near and in densely forested areas. People like their trees, like their privacy, and fight like hell when the power company tries to trim a tree hanging over power lines.

Debris removal, power infrastructure, and trees blocking roads and leaving many areas inaccessible for 1 week+ is going to be an absolute nightmare in SNE.

It would probably be comparable to the ice storm in 2008.. but more people affected in SNE.. however nicer weather and more daylight would lead to a quicker recovery IMO

Buzzards Bay is probably the most vulnerable and has been relatively lucky in the last 100 years.

Other areas... even inland... on rivers like the Connecticut, Quinnipiac, and Thames in CT are extremely vulnerable to a combination of surge and fresh water flooding that would be devastating.

Even the Taunton River is vulnerable to tidal flooding like that. That would probably inundate part of the city, if it came during high tide.

It would probably be comparable to the ice storm in 2008.. but more people affected in SNE.. however nicer weather and more daylight would lead to a quicker recovery IMO

It depends on how widespread it is. At least with the icestorm, it affected a small area relatively speaking so all utility companies both in state and out of state could focus on this area. Think of the resources alone that would be needed of CT,RI,MA,NH,ME, and VT all needed help.

I think we all would like to see it, but yeah as home owners...we don't want to deal with the damage it causes. There's nothing wrong with saying we want to see it. It's human nature to be fascinated by awe, and this is enhanced as weather enthusiasts.

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever see another Cane hit Sne ever again

Totally incorrect. The ice storm was bad but imagine destruction probably twice as bad and spread out over all of E/C MA, RI, C/E CT.

In addition damage would spread into northern NE, NY, and the mid Atlantic. Mutual aid from neighboring utility companies would be severely restricted with power companies in SNE fighting with power companies to the north, south, east, and west for equipment and man power.

Even the Taunton River is vulnerable to tidal flooding like that. That would probably inundate part of the city, if it came during high tide.

Yup.... that's another one.

The Pawcatuck River in Stonington/Westerly is extremely vulnerable. The CT side is protected by a hurricane barrier.

It depends on how widespread it is. At least with the icestorm, it affected a small area relatively speaking so all utility companies both in state and out of state could focus on this area. Think of the resources alone that would be needed of CT,RI,MA,NH,ME, and VT all needed help.

Yeah but other utilities and contractors help out with the relief efforts too.. the longest time people were out was around 2 weeks.. that's probably reasonable for a hurricane.. longer than that is unacceptable for a utility IMO

It also helps when a hurricane can forecasted to hit

3-4 DAYS out.. when icestorms are only like a day forecasted out..

Crews can be mobilized better

Yeah but other utilities and contractors help out with the relief efforts too.. the longest time people were out was around 2 weeks.. that's probably reasonable for a hurricane.. longer than that is unacceptable for a utility IMO

i thought some people were w/out power for a month after the ice storm

I disagree with just about everything you've posted in this thread.

Archived