• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
SNE Hurricane Thread

snowNH

seems like something to change the goal posts. My list only included hurricanes...

right, that is what I did, because you did. ;) I stand corrected, Sept is more productive in major strikes, which is what we were talking about initially, but not by a large amount (which is what you were getting at) as the count is pretty low.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup they maintain the Stamford and Pawcatuck hurricane barriers.

That barrier should protect most of downtown Pawcatuck from what would otherwise be devastating flooding that would destroy the whole town center.

Actually downtown is not within the barriers, the gated barriers at both ends protect Mechanic St, it is unknown if the funneling effect of the extended walls on the CT side would instead more severally flood the unprotected more heavily developed Westerly side.

Pawcatuck

The Pawcatuck Hurricane Protection Barrier is located in the Pawcatuck section of Stonington on the west bank of the Pawcatuck River.

Like other Connecticut coastal communities, Pawcatuck has suffered serious flooding from hurricanes in 1938, 1944, 1954, and 1960, as well as other severe coastal storms. Hurricane Carol of 1954 caused damages estimated at $1.09 million, of which about $851,000 could have been prevented if a hurricane protection barrier had existed at that time. Today, the barrier protects 34 acres of highly industrialized land from tidal surges.

Construction began in June 1962, and was completed in September 1963. The cost of the project was $859,000. Operation and maintenance is the responsibility of Stonington.

The project consists of 1,915 feet of earthfill dike and 940 feet of concrete wall, both with an elevation of 17 feet; two vehicular gates; and a pumping station. The project protection begins 0.7 mile south of the U.S. Route 1 Bridge and extends 2,200 feet northward along the west bank of the river.

Actually downtown is not within the barriers, the gated barriers at both ends protect Mechanic St, it is unknown if the funneling effect of the extended walls on the CT side would instead more severally flood the unprotected more heavily developed Westerly side.

Pawcatuck

The Pawcatuck Hurricane Protection Barrier is located in the Pawcatuck section of Stonington on the west bank of the Pawcatuck River.

Like other Connecticut coastal communities, Pawcatuck has suffered serious flooding from hurricanes in 1938, 1944, 1954, and 1960, as well as other severe coastal storms. Hurricane Carol of 1954 caused damages estimated at $1.09 million, of which about $851,000 could have been prevented if a hurricane protection barrier had existed at that time. Today, the barrier protects 34 acres of highly industrialized land from tidal surges.

Construction began in June 1962, and was completed in September 1963. The cost of the project was $859,000. Operation and maintenance is the responsibility of Stonington.

The project consists of 1,915 feet of earthfill dike and 940 feet of concrete wall, both with an elevation of 17 feet; two vehicular gates; and a pumping station. The project protection begins 0.7 mile south of the U.S. Route 1 Bridge and extends 2,200 feet northward along the west bank of the river.

Didn't pawcatuck flood in 2010?

Didn't pawcatuck flood in 2010?

Big time, the gates were not closed because it was not surge but again Ryan does not realize those gates only protect 34 acres of factory land. I speak from experience having maintained the pumps and gates. I asked and the town of Stonington has taken over maintenance , my previous employer Harris Graphics now Cottrell Brewing along with Yardney electric are the only beneficiaries .Yardneys is moving to RI and Cottrell only has a small portion of a huge facility. Cottrell beer is good though so that would be a loss.

I hope we do not get a Gloria here. There would be a few suicides over that type of let down.

I used to root for hurricanes but soured on that,can we get a surge with no wind to wipe out the overdeveloped barrier beaches after evacuation, now that I would root for.

Big time, the gates were not closed because it was not surge but again Ryan does not realize those gates only protect 34 acres of factory land. I speak from experience having maintained the pumps and gates. I asked and the town of Stonington has taken over maintenance , my previous employer Harris Graphics now Cottrell Brewing along with Yardney electric are the only beneficiaries .Yardneys is moving to RI and Cottrell only has a small portion of a huge facility. Cottrell beer is good though so that would be a loss.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure exactly what areas were protected. That said it seems to me based on what happened in march 2010 that there is much more flood protection on the ct side than there is on the ri side. In 2010 most of pawcatuck was fine while westerly was inundated. Is that just how the topography is naturally or are there other flood control measures on the ct side besides the barrier.

I used to root for hurricanes but soured on that,can we get a surge with no wind to wipe out the overdeveloped barrier beaches after evacuation, now that I would root for.

C'mon. I don't buy this. Don't sit here and tell us you wouldn't get all hot if some big, 110-kt Cat 3 were barreling up the coast, heading for LI and CT. I don't know you that well, but I think I know you well enough. C'mon. :D

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure exactly what areas were protected. That said it seems to me based on what happened in march 2010 that there is much more flood protection on the ct side than there is on the ri side. In 2010 most of pawcatuck was fine while westerly was inundated. Is that just how the topography is naturally or are there other flood control measures on the ct side besides the barrier.

Northern Westerly Downtown got ripped by the overflow from a bend in the Pawcatuck, Southern Pawcatuck got it downstream in Greenhaven, yea all TOPOGRAPHIC related. I often wondered if a 38 surge came now with new high walls on the CT side what would happen to the much more developed downtown of Westerly as that water which previously spread out into Pawcatuck has to go somewhere. Thinking epic fail design as Westerly although flooded in 38 was not inundated, just thinking spatially that surge would head that way. On a side note we used to clean the pump screens at the barrier and often found fish on the river side screen containment. Huge diesel pumps to pump out Mechanic street. They also kept detailed records of every surge. In the Harris building there is a marked water line about 14 feet above the ground marking the 38 surge. Was a pretty cool job for a weather geek and fisherman, as the pumps ran we fished for bluefish. Always timed the job for Sept bluefish run.

I would enjoy the wind damage more than a gigantic 20ft surge that just devours LI or SE MA/Cape. Although those people who would go bankrupt losing their 12 million dollar estate on the beachfront areas should only blame themselves!

C'mon. I don't buy this. Don't sit here and tell us you wouldn't get all hot if some big, 110-kt Cat 3 were barreling up the coast, heading for LI and CT. I don't know you that well, but I think I know you well enough. C'mon. :D

Actually Josh I am all set after dealing with lowly Bob and ten days with no power,water. I also am responsible for a 360,000sq ft home away from home Museum facility. As much as I am a extreme weather person, you can have Hurricanes and Tornados, I will stick with being an icepussy. Does not mean I won't watch it every second just means I enjoy my comforts. Infrastructure around SNE is antiquated, also too heavily forested to not cause major lifestyle issues. Age does this to homeowners. I am sure you would not get hot for a 8.0 quake either.

I would enjoy the wind damage more than a gigantic 20ft surge that just devours LI or SE MA/Cape. Although those people who would go bankrupt losing their 12 million dollar estate on the beachfront areas should only blame themselves!

well whether it's a 12 million dollar estate or a modest cottage, doesn't make it any more fun to lose your house...be it your only home or your summer getaway.

i love the perception that seems to invade this country that rich people are some how evil and deserving of punishment. :lol:

well whether it's a 12 million dollar estate or a modest cottage, doesn't make it any more fun to lose your house...be it your only home or your summer getaway.

i love the perception that seems to invade this country that rich people are some how evil and deserving of punishment. :lol:

What pisses me off is the cutting off of access to barrier beaches by folks who think they can buy rights. Thank god RI had the common sense to invoke beach rights for it's citizens. I have never paid to go to the beach in RI. Wipe the barriers clean open them up for all.

What pisses me off is the cutting off of access to barrier beaches by folks who think they can buy rights. Thank god RI had the common sense to invoke beach rights for it's citizens. I have never paid to go to the beach in RI. Wipe the barriers clean open them up for all.

Do you walk down Napatree point much?

Are any cellar holes or anything still there?

AMEN

Yea that too,lol what I was trying to portray was the fact we are due every year, if the ass clown clicked the link and read the PDF he would see why.

I really dread the day I have to make the call to my family in Jamestown (mom, my brother, uncle and aunt) saying they need to get out of there. They are all right on the water and their houses are around 10 feet ASL...

In a big storm they will return to cellar holes...

Lol everybody realizes we need a major winter storm setup to get a hurricane right?

A deep trough has to come into perfect timing with a hurricane. We pretty much had one last year and two years before that with Bill, it just missed about 100 and 200 miles. I really don't think were due. We probably won't see something even close to Earl last year.

Lol everybody realizes we need a major winter storm setup to get a hurricane right?

A deep trough has to come into perfect timing with a hurricane. We pretty much had one last year and two years before that with Bill, it just missed about 100 and 200 miles. I really don't think were due. We probably won't see something even close to Earl last year.

Its not that difficult to get a relatively close pass (say within 200 miles). Its actually getting it to make landfall that is tough. We've had like 5 hurricanes in the past decade come within a couple hundred miles...and a few high end TSs or very potent hybrids like Noel in 2007 and Wilma in 2005.

Its getting that final push to the west that has been difficult.

:weenie:

We aren't due..just that it's been a while.

The "due" argument is interesting.... Purely statistically, you'd look at the last 200 years and figure ...what? .1 hurricanes per year?? Then you go back over the last 10 years, and you say, HA! .1+.1+.1 ...+.1 = 1.0, so this year we are going to get a hurricane because there is a 100% chance. :lol:

Or, we get "brushed" by a TC once per year, and that ".1"-worth of TC. I like that :lmao:

No, statistics that are linear in nature, which is to say, (sum)/N lie quite a bit. You have to look at every year, then ...intraseasonally, the synoptic patterns in every case.

Archived