Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
SNE Hurricane Thread

snowNH

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What pisses me off is the cutting off of access to barrier beaches by folks who think they can buy rights. Thank god RI had the common sense to invoke beach rights for it's citizens. I have never paid to go to the beach in RI. Wipe the barriers clean open them up for all.

In my opinion the best beach in RI is Second Beach in MIddletown and last time I checked they charge 20 bucks to park on weekends.

Its not that difficult to get a relatively close pass (say within 200 miles). Its actually getting it to make landfall that is tough. We've had like 5 hurricanes in the past decade come within a couple hundred miles...and a few high end TSs or very potent hybrids like Noel in 2007 and Wilma in 2005.

Its getting that final push to the west that has been difficult.

Wasn't Isabel poised to hit us back in 2003? I seem to remember the NHC thought it was going to make a beeline up the coast without much of a right hook.

I don't recall anyone in SNE legitimately gusting above 60 in Bertha. I remember there being an unconfirmed report of a tornado. In Newport I remember a couple hours of wind gusts in the 45-54 MPH range with up to 2 inches of rain but power wasn't knocked out and it wasn't a huge deal.

Yeah that was some sort of weird gust there I guess. You are right in that most of SNE did not see exceptionally strong winds. But I do remember a sh*tload of rain. Also there was a tornado warning for Billerica/Wilmington area.

I was living in E Falmouth for Bertha and there were definitely a few 50-60mph gusts even inland a little bit. There was some minor wind damage and flooding. I would imagine right on the water hit 60 in some spots.

Ginxy was born in the ocean off RI He knows things

How was Wilma for Newport?

Do you have Wilma confused with some other storm? I don't recall Wilma even giving us cloud cover. Wasn't Wilma the 2005 CAT 2 that caused major problems from Miami up to Palm Beach?

Last years hurricane threat proved to be a bust but the waves were great. Some of the greatest waves I've ever seen from a tropical system in Newport. There's a small semi-private beach in Newport off Bellevue Ave where the rich folks go called Bailey's Beacg and the waves at this beach last September when earl made its closest approach were tremendous. Emily in 1993 produced some great waves as well.

Do you have Wilma confused with some other storm? I don't recall Wilma even giving us cloud cover. Wasn't Wilma the 2005 CAT 2 that caused major problems from Miami up to Palm Beach?

Last years hurricane threat proved to be a bust but the waves were great. Some of the greatest waves I've ever seen from a tropical system in Newport. There's a small semi-private beach in Newport off Bellevue Ave where the rich folks go called Bailey's Beacg and the waves at this beach last September when earl made its closest approach were tremendous. Emily in 1993 produced some great waves as well.

Yeah, I am confused by another storm... have to figure it out

Ray, Rainstorm is knowledgeable insofar as she knows enough to be annoying...but not enough to be right. Her posts have the appearance of someone who may know what she's talking about. However, if you look at the stuff she uses for why it's going to be a bad season (east coast troughs, weak Bermuda highs, European heatwaves, etc.) you will find that there is no correlation to hurricane activity or even a positive correlation with activity. East coast troughs are favorable for early season Caribbean and BOC development while weak Bermuda highs are a feature of active hurricane seasons with weaker trades and less shear. I actually think she may know more than she lets on since she seems to watch the tropics year in and year out..but she has taken the trolling negative nancy role with much gusto and never breaks character. The greatest troll of our times.

Ray, Rainstorm is knowledgeable insofar as she knows enough to be annoying...but not enough to be right. Her posts have the appearance of someone who may know what she's talking about. However, if you look at the stuff she uses for why it's going to be a bad season (east coast troughs, weak Bermuda highs, European heatwaves, etc.) you will find that there is no correlation to hurricane activity or even a positive correlation with activity. East coast troughs are favorable for early season Caribbean and BOC development while weak Bermuda highs are a feature of active hurricane seasons with weaker trades and less shear. I actually think she may know more than she lets on since she seems to watch the tropics year in and year out..but she has taken the trolling negative nancy role with much gusto and never breaks character. The greatest troll of our times.

LOL. she's got some competition even in our own SNE threads i think.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting daily PMs now. If she is trolling, she never lets it show. And she reads the threads. I post something positive in the main forum general Atlantic thread, and I have a PM in 5 minutes.

ETA- this could be a big year for a SNE/NY storm. Look how close the 25º SST isoherm comes to the coast.

20.jpg

Bob was great....2 hours of wind gusts to 100 makes it by far my favorite weather event. I don't believe Newport has gusted to hurricane force since....December 2005 was the only serious wind event that comes to mind since Bob. The Halloween 1991 storm knocked out power for 30 minutes when I was a freshman in high school at 1pm on the 30th but I'm not sure we gusted to over 60 that day. I remember taking my brother with me riding our bikes to the beach and a neighbor looking at me like I was crazy.

She was a TS here, but gave EWB hurricane barrier gust to 90 I believe.

Nice.... I was just talking about this storm. It sort of flies under the radar, so to type :P

It had 65 mph sustained winds when it passed right over JFK as I recall; it took a slightly inland track and is customary with such systems-- the heaviest rainfall occurred west of the track. I was in the Poconos at the time and we had 7" of rain and it felt like a noreaster in the middle of fall-- cold, windy and rainy all day.

Floyd made landfall up here around Jones Beach with 65 mph winds also and the heaviest rain with that was over N NJ and NE PA (Scranton had 10" of rain in a very hot and dry summer.)

Gloria made landfall over the Babylon-Bay Shore area as a Cat 2 hurricane (same area that jackpotted around here in Jan 1996 ironically enough), similar in strength to Bob at landfall....somewhere between the eastern tip of Long Island and Block Island, Rhode Island. With Gloria the heaviest rainfall around this area was in NYC and with Bob it was in western Long Island (at this latitude anyway.) The heaviest rainfall seems to occur about 100 miles west of the track, with the highest winds to the east.

She was a TS here, but gave EWB hurricane barrier gust to 90 I believe.

Yeah..... Bertha had gusts to over hurricane force (78 mph I believe) at Babylon-- the fastest winds on the island since the great December 1992 noreaster had the same area gusting close to 100 (98 mph at Babylon.)

Two close calls for us were Emily and Edouard. I was all excited about Edouard but it fizzled out to almost nothing and as far as Emily was concerned, that came at the tail end of a historically hot summer and I was all excited about it; Al Roker on NBC 4 even said that some of the models were showing an east coast landfall because the trough to the west was slowing down, but it never materialized.

Nice.... I was just talking about this storm. It sort of flies under the radar, so to type :P

It had 65 mph sustained winds when it passed right over JFK as I recall; it took a slightly inland track and is customary with such systems-- the heaviest rainfall occurred west of the track. I was in the Poconos at the time and we had 7" of rain and it felt like a noreaster in the middle of fall-- cold, windy and rainy all day.

Floyd made landfall up here around Jones Beach with 65 mph winds also and the heaviest rain with that was over N NJ and NE PA (Scranton had 10" of rain in a very hot and dry summer.)

Gloria made landfall over the Babylon-Bay Shore area as a Cat 2 hurricane (same area that jackpotted around here in Jan 1996 ironically enough), similar in strength to Bob at landfall....somewhere between the eastern tip of Long Island and Block Island, Rhode Island. With Gloria the heaviest rainfall around this area was in NYC and with Bob it was in western Long Island (at this latitude anyway.) The heaviest rainfall seems to occur about 100 miles west of the track, with the highest winds to the east.

Yeah storms begin to go through transition and baroclinic processes take over. That's how we get the heaviest rain in the west side of the track and strongest winds/driest conditions on the east side.

Hurricane Bill

Yeah storms begin to go through transition and baroclinic processes take over. That's how we get the heaviest rain in the west side of the track and strongest winds/driest conditions on the east side.

Another near miss and big tease was Felix in 1995-- the first Cat 4 I had seen on the maps in quite awhile. It looked like it was going straight into the outer banks and stalled 200 miles east of there. Then the models showed it coming north right into Montauk but that never happened either.... it just meandered out there and then went back out to sea, setting up the 70W shield for that tropical season-- sort of like what happened in 2009-10 except in 1995 we did have Opal slam the Gulf Coast. That was a season full of rip currents, hurricane teases and lots of hot and dry weather and major forest fires everywhere.

The Old Saybrook to Westerly area is a magnet for the biggies.

I've excluded any storms that are not hurricanes for CT. So some storms that made landfall RI or Mass and were intense were not included.

You know what sticks out about Gloria is how low the pressure was even though other storms with higher pressures did similar if not worse damage. BDR recorded 965mb for their pressure and ISP was 961mb! Carol had 955mb when it made landfall on LI and was significantly more damaging.

I've excluded any storms that are not hurricanes for CT. So some storms that made landfall RI or Mass and were intense were not included.

You know what sticks out about Gloria is how low the pressure was even though other storms with higher pressures did similar if not worse damage. BDR recorded 965mb for their pressure and ISP was 961mb! Carol had 955mb when it made landfall on LI and was significantly more damaging.

Nice work man. Next, can you include all tropical systems that gave >6" of rain to sw RI??

Archived