• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
SNE Hurricane Thread

snowNH

Op Euro might hit be close to hitting SNE after 240 hours lol. Weird solution...landfall in Florida...back over the water and then moving up the coast with positive height anomalies over the North Atlantic and a pretty decent midwest trough.

00zECMWF500mbHeightAnomalyNA240.gif

Donna??

I still think it's a far cry...but who knows.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting an early start on winter Debbie?

No but I've been tracking things like this for long enough to know what tropical threats to get excited about and which not to. This could certainly be high impact with a major hydro event... but I think the damaging wind threat is extremely low.

No but I've been tracking things like this for long enough to know what tropical threats to get excited about and which not to. This could certainly be high impact with a major hydro event... but I think the damaging wind threat is extremely low.

This would def be more of a hydro for sure. That's a ton of rain, west of the track.

This would def be more of a hydro for sure.

Slow motion and non-explosive baroclinic forcing says blah to me for impacts outside of rain. That said if the trough digs more sharply and the storm winds up very strong and just offshore maybe something more interesting happens but that seems extraordinarily unlikely now.

I do have rain in the forecast for Sunday.

Slow motion and non-explosive baroclinic forcing says blah to me for impacts outside of rain. That said if the trough digs more sharply and the storm winds up very strong and just offshore maybe something more interesting happens but that seems extraordinarily unlikely now.

I do have rain in the forecast for Sunday.

I think as is, there would be some pretty good squalls...almost like what Floyd had, along the south coast. However, it would be nice to have a sharp trough dig down and try to intensify it baroclincally. I think the GFS tried to do this a few days ago.

I won't be here, so hopefully you get some good impacts from it in some shape or form.

Dumb question based on something I saw on another board. WRT Irene and if she was to hit Florida, if the path goes over the Everglades/Lake Okechobee, does it gain any energy?

I would think you only strengthen a cane over really warm ocean waters due to the available kinetic energy

I know, sounds dumb

Not really..lol. The glades do have warm water, so if anything...it slows the weakening of the storm down. It's a good question.

Not really..lol. The glades do have warm water, so if anything...it slows the weakening of the storm down. It's a good question.

Well, that makes sense, but I could not imagine a storm strengthening over inland lakes/swamps, etc

My knowledge of tropical development is even less than snowstorm development, if that is possible

Well, that makes sense, but I could not imagine a storm strengthening over inland lakes/swamps, etc

My knowledge of tropical development is even less than snowstorm development, if that is possible

There was Erin in OK who actually strengthened through latent heat processes...over land! It basically took on a life of it's own and that is such an outlier that I wouldn't even use it as an example.

http://www.srh.noaa....bune/fall07.pdf

The only time a storm may strengthen, is when it encounters a trough, and baroclinic (temperature advection) processes take over. By then, even though it may be the same low pressure, it's an entirely different process of intensification. No longer do we have the warm and moist high octane fuel underneath the low.

There was Erin in OK who actually strengthened through latent heat processes...over land! It basically took on a life of it's own and that is such an outlier that I wouldn't even use it as an example.

http://www.srh.noaa....bune/fall07.pdf

The only time a storm may strengthen, is when it encounters a trough, and baroclinic (temperature advection) processes take over. By then, even though it may be the same low pressure, it's an entirely different process of intensification. No longer do we have the warm and moist high octane fuel underneath the low.

Neat article. I remember that vaguely. Good analysis

I think as is, there would be some pretty good squalls...almost like what Floyd had, along the south coast. However, it would be nice to have a sharp trough dig down and try to intensify it baroclincally. I think the GFS tried to do this a few days ago.

I won't be here, so hopefully you get some good impacts from it in some shape or form.

Yeah I guess I think of Floyd as a wind disappointment for most (most places didn't even come close to sustained TS winds) and the pattern was infinitely more favorable to get damaging winds up here with the thing merging with the sharp trough digging out of the Great Lakes.

Given that this thing will be crawling through teh Carolinas, most likely, I have a hard time buying an exciting wind event. The hydro issues... especially if we develop a PRE in fron t of a slow moving storm could be huge depending on track.

Archived