EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
SNE Hurricane Thread

snowNH

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've excluded any storms that are not hurricanes for CT. So some storms that made landfall RI or Mass and were intense were not included.

You know what sticks out about Gloria is how low the pressure was even though other storms with higher pressures did similar if not worse damage. BDR recorded 965mb for their pressure and ISP was 961mb! Carol had 955mb when it made landfall on LI and was significantly more damaging.

Gloria had a great dry slot, all the south sides of trees in SWRI turned brown from salt damage, no rain. Biggest Hurricane bust of my life, 12 hours before it was Armageddon 38 repeat. I was evacuated from the beach with my three little kids and wife, no damage at all except for my 650E Suzuki which was sandblasted, insurance paid for all new chrome.

Gloria had a great dry slot, all the south sides of trees in SWRI turned brown from salt damage, no rain. Biggest Hurricane bust of my life, 12 hours before it was Armageddon 38 repeat. I was evacuated from the beach with my three little kids and wife, no damage at all except for my 650E Suzuki which was sandblasted, insurance paid for all new chrome.

Bob did the same thing. East sides of New England canes are just wind machines with a few heavier shwrs embedded. That's it for rain.

Bob did the same thing. East sides of New England canes are just wind machines with a few heavier shwrs embedded. That's it for rain.

I was in the western deteriorating eyewalll for BOB and got nearly 8 inches of rain while 20 miles East barely topped 1. Most reports from 38 indicate a better distribution on the East side than we usually see, perhaps because it was not unravelled yet.

I was in the western deteriorating eyewalll for BOB and got nearly 8 inches of rain while 20 miles East barely topped 1. Most reports from 38 indicate a better distribution on the East side than we usually see, perhaps because it was not unravelled yet.

I think Gloria had a semi eyewall too...even on the east side. All I know is I had stratus travelling at 100mph, 800ft above my head during Gloria. Bob gave me a couple of inches of rain in Brockton...mostly well before Bob got close to making landfall.

I think Gloria had a semi eyewall too...even on the east side. All I know is I had stratus travelling at 100mph, 800ft above my head during Gloria. Bob gave me a couple of inches of rain in Brockton...mostly well before Bob got close to making landfall.

One of those 850 winds at 125 mph storms last winter had that stratus deck screaming, it is a great visual.

The worst from Gloria was in the in tact northern/eastern eyewall that moved through central long island and Connecticut from Fairfield to clinton. The towns around hvn had some very impressive conditions in that eyewall.

The worst from Gloria was in the in tact northern/eastern eyewall that moved through central long island and Connecticut from Fairfield to clinton. The towns around hvn had some very impressive conditions in that eyewall.

Yet no Armageddon as the media hype was by far the worst ever, have not seen hype that bad since.

Yet no Armageddon as the media hype was by far the worst ever, have not seen hype that bad since.

steve - you haven't seen media hype worse than that...in 25+ yrs? do you watch TV?

honestly, i think every event is hyped more than the previous...it's like vegas hotels. each one is built up to beat the previous one.

steve - you haven't seen media hype worse than that...in 25+ yrs? do you watch TV?

honestly, i think every event is hyped more than the previous...it's like vegas hotels. each one is built up to beat the previous one.

Honestly the hype for Gloria was worse than ever, all media was sending out Armageddon warnings for days, saw forecasts of a 30 foot surge etc. It was ultimate insanity, whole towns were evacuated well outside normal zones.

Honestly the hype for Gloria was worse than ever, all media was sending out Armageddon warnings for days, saw forecasts of a 30 foot surge etc. It was ultimate insanity, whole towns were evacuated well outside normal zones.

certainly possible i suppose.

i was only like 8 years old or something so i can't say i can remember the event all that well. other than putting masking tape on the windows i don't remember the storm all *that* much

i was only like 8 years old or something so i can't say i can remember the event all that well. other than putting masking tape on the windows i don't remember the storm all *that* much

LOL, look at Earl last year, but lets face it...the ridiculous hurricane warning to Hull did not help. I heard that media mets like Harvey Leonard tried telling their producers this was no big deal, but they wanted to run with it.

It started early when all models latched on the track, which they nailed, however no one expected the disintegration and none mentioned tidal timing or range. For days people thought 38 again. I remember Dan Rather warning SNErs to get out now while you can two days before.

We're the exact same age....The hype was incredible. It was the first time the national media dug its heels on a weather event. It's what got me interested in weather. For me Gloria was a huge disappointment. But like Ryan said, some areas were hit hard....It taught us a lesson, just because a hurricane hits New England, doesn't mean it hits all of New England. I'm not even sure Newport gusted to hurricane force.

Wanna see hype...if a Carol like hurricane targets the Northeast and is farther to the west of the 1954 track it will be covered more vigorously than any other weather event this country has ever seen....Same thing can be said about a Cat 3 or higher that delivers a direct hit to Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

LOL, look at Earl last year, but lets face it...the ridiculous hurricane warning to Hull did not help. I heard that media mets like Harvey Leonard tried telling their producers this was no big deal, but they wanted to run with it.

I know and it's really not the medias fault. When the nhc makes suck absurd calls local and state emergency management has no choice but to put their emergency plans into place. Nhc and nws had tropical storm warnings for long island sound and the governor was sending out press releases about 40-50 mph sustained winds and widespread power outages. Our forecast was 15-30 mph gusts lol.

I know and it's really not the medias fault. When the nhc makes suck absurd calls local and state emergency management has no choice but to put their emergency plans into place. Nhc and nws had tropical storm warnings for long island sound and the governor was sending out press releases about 40-50 mph sustained winds and widespread power outages. Our forecast was 15-30 mph gusts lol.

BS the media hyped that to no end, even your station had top stories from the beaches, has teasers on all the while the Mets were downplaying any impact. Producers are idiots and hype masters.

It started early when all models latched on the track, which they nailed, however no one expected the disintegration and none mentioned tidal timing or range. For days people thought 38 again. I remember Dan Rather warning SNErs to get out now while you can two days before.

Nhc also was on national media calling it the "storm of the century". That didn't help. I also think you're overstating timing and tidal range. Evacuation decisions need to be made 36 hours out and unless you can nail the arrival time down to the nearest hour or two you're sol.

BS the media hyped that to no end, even your station had top stories from the beaches, has teasers on all the while the Mets were downplaying any impact. Producers are idiots and hype masters.

You FTL. Not sure what you were watching but yeah we had people covering it because you can't ignore it when the state goes overboard and opens shelters, closes beaches, etc. Providing coverage and saying we are not expecting much and keeping people informed isn't hype.

You are probably the biggest know it all in these threads besides socks and it's very off putting.

By far the thing that sticks with me most about Gloria (in Marblehead) was the tree damage. I was in a new neighborhood at the time without any tall trees and it seemed like a dud of a storm, I remember playing around in the back yard with what couldn't have been much more than low end tropical storm winds with 0 damage to my (parents) house. Outside my hood though an impressive amount of trees came down though.. At least a day or two without power after that too.

Nhc also was on national media calling it the "storm of the century". That didn't help. I also think you're overstating timing and tidal range. Evacuation decisions need to be made 36 hours out and unless you can nail the arrival time down to the nearest hour you're sol.

Yea it was really absurd, how old were you? The difference between a Zyzsgy tide, spring tide and small range and the impacts are huge, look at all your CT landfalls and big coastal damage then check the tides, you might change your mind. I do not know why 36 hours is needed though, maybe LI but with our limited flood zones I would think everyone could get out with 24 hours notice, after all with all the media hype it's not like everyone would not be blasted with it for days and days.

You FTL. Not sure what you were watching but yeah we had people covering it because you can't ignore it when the state goes overboard and opens shelters, closes beaches, etc. Providing coverage and saying we are not expecting much and keeping people informed isn't hype.

You are probably the biggest know it all in these threads besides socks and it's very off putting.

:thumbsup: how does sharing my experience make me a know it all, you are in the media, you blame the gov't but go back and watch the tapes leading up. You as a met provided the right info, the rest of your team rather than saying we totally disagree with the Gov't just went along, pretty typical really. Oh to add, expressing ones opinion does not make one a know it all, take it for you want.

Was in college at the time in Providence... Gloria was really fun, except I went down to the coast to take pictures and the salt spray completely wrecked my Dad's camera...:arrowhead:

School was canceled for the only time in its history except the Blizzard of 78, we partied in the streets (which was fun till a window blew out and suddenly all the drunk people had their feet cut up), watched a few elm trees get peeled like bananas, and endured something like 0.05" of rain. The NWS phone forecast (remember those?) said winds sustained at 70-100 mph... maaaaybe we got a few gusts to 70 but nothing more. Fun though. I remember Barry Burbank doing a postmortem on the storm... "A small dry hurricane".. true dat.

:thumbsup: how does sharing my experience make me a know it all, you are in the media, you blame the gov't but go back and watch the tapes leading up. You as a met provided the right info, the rest of your team rather than saying we totally disagree with the Gov't just went along, pretty typical really.

Again I was there and that's not really what happened. Our coverage was pretty clear that this would miss. Next time there is a tropical storm warning and hurrican warnings nearby we will just ignore it if we think it's not a big deal. Having extra coverage to tell people that "we are watching it closely" and "this will be no worse than a mild nor'easter" is fine when it's all people are interested in... Particularly bc misinformation from government and national media.

Also with a 10-15 foot surge in a significant hurricane no one reasonable will be splitting hairs about whether it's high or low tide particularly in se ct where tide ranges are small to make evacuation decisions.

Again I was there and that's not really what happened. Our coverage was pretty clear that this would miss. Next time there is a tropical storm warning and hurrican warnings nearby we will just ignore it if we think it's not a big deal. Having extra coverage to tell people that "we are watching it closely" and "this will be no worse than a mild nor'easter" is fine when it's all people are interested in... Particularly bc misinformation from government and national media.

Also with a 10-15 foot surge in a significant hurricane no one reasonable will be splitting hairs about whether it's high or low tide particularly in se ct where tide ranges are small to make evacuation decisions.

Evacuation wise no, but the difference between over wash and severe destruction is often wether a spring or SYZGY tide is involved, check out 54 38 occurrence on full moon tides. It's not just the height either, the energy and tidal speeds in those type of tides is exponentially greater, but that's just me being a D I C K head know it all.

How old are you? You were on Ch 30 in 1985 for Gloria? I don't remember that but I didn't watch a lot of Hartford media. Then again, maybe I took that whole quote out of context...sorry if I did.

When you say next time, do you mean like Earl last year? I went down to the tip of Stonington for that and saw every media outlet in the state covering what would qualify as wave action in any other storm. There was no hype of that storm...lol.

I don't seem to recall the over hype that you guys recall for Gloria but again, I didn't watch a lot of Hartford media that storm. The damage was pretty widespread and we were without power for a week. I don't recall that happening since. I think some winter storms get way too over hyped these days....we treat 2-4" of snow like we did 12" back in the 80s. That drives me crazy! I think relative to some of the effects of Gloria that some of the hype was warranted as it's better to be prepared than not prepared.

There's really not much the NHC can do...it's hands are currently tied by it's own policies. The NHC with all intents and purposes knew it would miss without much fanfare. However, since they base the cone off the average Atlantic track error, and that cone fell over SNE, they issue the watches and warnings. If you looked the wind probs in the forecast package...they were quite low for all of SNE.

There's really not much the NHC can do...it's hands are currently tied by it's own policies. The NHC with all intents and purposes knew it would miss without much fanfare. However, since they base the cone off the average Atlantic track error, and that cone fell over SNE, they issue the watches and warnings. If you looked the wind probs in the forecast package...they were quite low for all of SNE.

Got to love bureaucracy.

Archived