• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
SNE Hurricane Thread

snowNH

How old are you? You were on Ch 30 in 1985 for Gloria? I don't remember that but I didn't watch a lot of Hartford media. Then again, maybe I took that whole quote out of context...sorry if I did.

When you say next time, do you mean like Earl last year? I went down to the tip of Stonington for that and saw every media outlet in the state covering what would qualify as wave action in any other storm. There was no hype of that storm...lol.

I don't seem to recall the over hype that you guys recall for Gloria but again, I didn't watch a lot of Hartford media that storm. The damage was pretty widespread and we were without power for a week. I don't recall that happening since. I think some winter storms get way too over hyped these days....we treat 2-4" of snow like we did 12" back in the 80s. That drives me crazy! I think relative to some of the effects of Gloria that some of the hype was warranted as it's better to be prepared than not prepared.

Just a heads up for next time! Drive the 10 extra miles to Westerly, open ocean always better than Stonington Point.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just down the street, did you walk to the breach way in Weekapaug?

I actually did one morning. It was just over two hours to get there and back, including walking around the breachway a little and climbing down the rocks/stair-things to get pictures.

Side note, here's one of my sunrise shots from last week:

post-3401-0-34025900-1312943284.jpg

Apologies if I'm derailing the thread here, just love when someone else has even heard of the area! This was my seventh year staying in Misquamicut.

I actually did one morning. It was just over two hours to get there and back, including walking around the breachway a little and climbing down the rocks/stair-things to get pictures.

Side note, here's one of my sunrise shots from last week:

post-3401-0-34025900-1312943284.jpg

Apologies if I'm derailing the thread here, just love when someone else has even heard of the area! This was my seventh year staying in Misquamicut.

Don't apologize it's what we do in SNE. Right before the breach way is a set of dunes next to a big black house with huge boulders on it, that's the beach I use, empty and usually seaweed free. Next time you go I would love to meet you.

Don't apologize it's what we do in SNE. Right before the breach way is a set of dunes next to a big black house with huge boulders on it, that's the beach I use, empty and usually seaweed free. Next time you go I would love to meet you.

I think I know which one that is – it had a neat pirate ship-like sand castle in front of it on what would have been Thursday I believe. :lol:

Local news hypes weather events so much because casual viewers absolutely love it....even though everyone says they don't. Take me for instance...I'm one of the reasons why local news isn't as lucrative as it once was. Unless there's a major weather event, or of course during the winter....I'll rarely watch local news because I spend so much of my time watching MSNBC and FOX to learn what they're feeding the partisan zealots on both sides of the political divide. Years ago a Chet and Nat would do more national news before cable became such a powerhouse, but now at 6pm local tv stations spend the minimum of time on national news because by 6pm so many people already know the national news.. Years ago before ESPN, NESN, YES, became so dominant..people used to turn to their favorite local news station to watch a sports guy like Bob Lobel. Now, local sports gets less and less coverage, and is getting phased out in some markets because people already know what's going on in sports and they no longer need a guy like Bob Lobel to tell them...

And now...the weather. A couple of the PVD stations give weather almost 4 minutes during the winter. A lot of people watch local news simply because of the weather...the producers and executives know this and this is why they hype...and obviously the viewers like it and I'm sure Ryan can attest that ratings this past January during the snowstorms were great. Local tv news isn't as strong as it was during its hey day back in the 80s, but the weather is one of local tv news' strongest segments and it has and will continue to keep local news relevant in the years to come...and the hype doesn't bother me even if it leads hundreds of thousands to evacuate unnecessarily like we saw with Rita in Houston in 2005.

I know and it's really not the medias fault. When the nhc makes suck absurd calls local and state emergency management has no choice but to put their emergency plans into place. Nhc and nws had tropical storm warnings for long island sound and the governor was sending out press releases about 40-50 mph sustained winds and widespread power outages. Our forecast was 15-30 mph gusts lol.

The NHC always extends its warnings way too far west and too far east. They're so overly cautious in fear of hurricanes taking an eleventh hour right-hook like Charley in 2004 sparing Tampa and slamming N. Fort Myers. If you're on the outer-most fringes of a hurricane warning don't expect much...but to the average joe, or the average tv news producer/executive...if they see a reddened hurricane warning for a portion of their viewing area their juices start flowing and they're expecting something big.

How old are you? You were on Ch 30 in 1985 for Gloria? I don't remember that but I didn't watch a lot of Hartford media. Then again, maybe I took that whole quote out of context...sorry if I did.

When you say next time, do you mean like Earl last year? I went down to the tip of Stonington for that and saw every media outlet in the state covering what would qualify as wave action in any other storm. There was no hype of that storm...lol.

I don't seem to recall the over hype that you guys recall for Gloria but again, I didn't watch a lot of Hartford media that storm. The damage was pretty widespread and we were without power for a week. I don't recall that happening since. I think some winter storms get way too over hyped these days....we treat 2-4" of snow like we did 12" back in the 80s. That drives me crazy! I think relative to some of the effects of Gloria that some of the hype was warranted as it's better to be prepared than not prepared.

Was talking about Earl here.

There's really not much the NHC can do...it's hands are currently tied by it's own policies. The NHC with all intents and purposes knew it would miss without much fanfare. However, since they base the cone off the average Atlantic track error, and that cone fell over SNE, they issue the watches and warnings. If you looked the wind probs in the forecast package...they were quite low for all of SNE.

That's pretty stupid then. Having tropical storm warnings up and then reading NWS statements about sustained tropical storm force winds when it's abundantly clear there will be little more than a 25 mph gust is infuriating.

Local news hypes weather events so much because casual viewers absolutely love it....even though everyone says they don't. Take me for instance...I'm one of the reasons why local news isn't as lucrative as it once was. Unless there's a major weather event, or of course during the winter....I'll rarely watch local news because I spend so much of my time watching MSNBC and FOX to learn what they're feeding the partisan zealots on both sides of the political divide. Years ago a Chet and Nat would do more national news before cable became such a powerhouse, but now at 6pm local tv stations spend the minimum of time on national news because by 6pm so many people already know the national news.. Years ago before ESPN, NESN, YES, became so dominant..people used to turn to their favorite local news station to watch a sports guy like Bob Lobel. Now, local sports gets less and less coverage, and is getting phased out in some markets because people already know what's going on in sports and they no longer need a guy like Bob Lobel to tell them...

I agree that viewers love weather... it is by far the biggest draw to local news. There's also a difference between "hype" and lots of "coverage". You can cover an event for an extended period of time and not hype it. I feel like that's what our Earl coverage basically was because that's what people wanted.

Even a run of the mill snowstorm results in monster ratings so viewers crave weather coverage and it's an easy decision to blow out other news or whatever programming most of the time to show weather.

That's pretty stupid then. Having tropical storm warnings up and then reading NWS statements about sustained tropical storm force winds when it's abundantly clear there will be little more than a 25 mph gust is infuriating.

It's those stupid probabilities in the cone that drive the warnings. There should be something better/different for storms in the northeast, because being in the nw side of a tropical system moving off to the northeast is mostly a fail in the wind department here. They're just different beasts when they approach our latitude.

It's those stupid probabilities in the cone that drive the warnings. There should be something better/different for storms in the northeast, because being in the nw side of a tropical system moving off to the northeast is mostly a fail in the wind department here. They're just different beasts when they approach our latitude.

And the cone also isn't driven by forecast confidence... just historic storm track error. Oh well.

And the cone also isn't driven by forecast confidence... just historic storm track error. Oh well.

Well that may change soon. If you would have gone to the conference, you would have seen that the NHC is currently discussing make variable cones for different parts of the basin and models. This isn't a unique northeast tropical storm/hurricane problem. Generally, everyone who is in the cone receives the watches and warnings. EM needs a significant amount of time for mobilization of assets and evacuations. If this hurricane would have happened 10 years the watches warnings would have been much bigger in scope, and I think there's something to be said for that.

Well that may change soon. If you would have gone to the conference, you would have seen that the NHC is currently discussing make variable cones for different parts of the basin and models. This isn't a unique northeast tropical storm/hurricane problem. Generally, everyone who is in the cone receives the watches and warnings. EM needs a significant amount of time for mobilization of assets and evacuations. If this hurricane would have happened 10 years the watches warnings would have been much bigger in scope, and I think there's something to be said for that.

Yeah Bill did mention that, which is a good thing. That would cut down on a lot of unnessary watches and warnings.

Archived