Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
June 2011 general discussion/obs thread

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We hit 97 degrees at the Mankato airport today, some places hit 100 in southwest MN. It was real fun considering I work outside all day!:snowman:

hit 99 here at Prinsburg, light breeze all day with low humidity.

Record high temperature set in the Twin Cities MN today...

A record high temperature of 97 degrees was recorded at Minneapolis

St Paul international Airport today. The record high temperature

occurred at 543 PM CDT.

This breaks the old record of 95 degrees set in 1987 and 1979.

A very minor part of it probably has to do with the urban heat island effect.

Then it's the fact that a much larger population is being impacted.

I don't see how a larger population should make a difference...are people less susceptible to the danger of heat if there's a whole bunch of them in one place? :unsure:

Geez, temperatures actually rose before sunrise to 76*F to 77*F.

DTX is still forecasting a high of only 88*F. We'll see...

Latest RUC has highs getting to around 95*F in Detroit proper and low 90s elsewhere today, and just for eye candy, assuming dewpoints in the mid 70s it also has CAPE values of 6500 J/KG and LI's of -12 late this afternoon.

Geez, temperatures actually rose before sunrise to 76*F to 77*F.

DTX is still forecasting a high of only 88*F. We'll see...

Latest RUC has highs getting to around 95*F in Detroit proper and low 90s elsewhere today.

I see no reason why we can't get into the lower 90's today; H850 temps of 20C are already nosing into the area, which usually correlates to 90F as long as we don't have excessive cloud debris, which we shouldn't today.

I see no reason why we can't get into the lower 90's today; H850 temps of 20C are already nosing into the area, which usually correlates to 90F as long as we don't have excessive cloud debris, which we shouldn't today.

On top of that, when the models are still playing catch up with the temps you know you're going to overachieve. Last night's RUC just had us in the upper 80s to around 90.

The problem GRR brought up though was that mixing heights would be subdued, but with temps already in the mid-upper 70s and the somewhat dry grounds I doubt that makes a difference.

DVN going with 95-97 for the QCA.

YESTERDAY...THOUGH MODELS HAD INDICATED A MIXED LAYER REACHING 850MB OR HIGHER...WE MIXED TO AROUND 900MB. AND THUS...THE EASTERN HALF REMAINED IN THE 92 TO 94 RANGE. TODAY...MODELS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT TO MIX US TO AROUND 900MB AGAIN...AND THIS DOES LOOK LIKELY GIVEN OUR WARMER START...AND SLIGHTLY TIGHTER PRESSURE GRADIENT. THE NET RESULT OF THE SHALLOWER MIXING LEVEL FOR OUR CWA THAN WHAT WAS SUGGESTED 24 HOURS AGO FOR TODAY WILL BE THIS...SOMEWHAT LOWER TEMPS...GENERALLY 95 TO 97...

I don't see how a larger population should make a difference...are people less susceptible to the danger of heat if there's a whole bunch of them in one place? :unsure:

People are more susceptible to heat in urban areas, especially if there is full sunshine (which the concrete and asphalt absorbs like crazy...i.e. UHI effect) and high overnight mins. In the city of Chicago, many folks don't have A/C, and they hole themselves in their apartments, not realizing how hot it is. More than 500 people died in Chicago during the 1995 heat wave.

I realize this current heat wave is nothing like 1995...but it's early in the season and will come as a shock due to the cool spring.

Bottom line: it makes sense to have different heat advisory thresholds in urban areas vs. other areas. Others may reasonably disagree...just my two cents. :)

Amazing: MSP only had a low of 78 this morning. UHI in full swing. If I'm reading the records correctly, this is by far the warmest daily min temp so early in the season. In fact, the next earliest date with a min of 78 or greater was June 23 (min of 80 on 6/23/2005)!!

The only other day to come close so early in the season was a min of 77 on 6/13/1956.

Normal low for today is 56.

People are more susceptible to heat in urban areas, especially if there is full sunshine (which the concrete and asphalt absorbs like crazy...i.e. UHI effect) and high overnight mins. In the city of Chicago, many folks don't have A/C, and they hole themselves in their apartments, not realizing how hot it is.

I realize this current heat wave is nothing like 1995...but it's early in the season and will come as a shock due to the cool spring.

Bottom line: it makes sense to have different heat advisory thresholds in urban areas vs. other areas. Others may reasonably disagree...just my two cents. :)

What beavis1729 said is pretty much what I meant.

I think the government should mandate a seperate threshold for all major cities in the country. Chicago I believe is the only major city that has this unique threshold as of now.

Have an MCS rolling through and I can't see squat because BUF 88D is in clear air mode. WTF.

That woke me up this morning just after 5.

Environment Canada has upped our high temeperature for tomorrow from the high 80s (31C) to the low 90s (34C). They are calling for a hot and dry summer, but I think it will be a variable summer with near normal temperatures and above normal precipitation, more inline with the Weather Network, Accuwether and Anthony Farnell of Global TV. There will be periods of intense heat, like tomorrow, but the upper low over Eastern Canada will help bring periods of cool and refreshing weather.

Archived